U7 Ferryman: Let me off the boat!

NOTICE: This forum is archived as read only.
Please use the Github Discussions at https://github.com/exult/exult/discussions
Forum rules
NOTICE: This forum is archived as read only.
Please use the Github Discussions at https://github.com/exult/exult/discussions
John Doty

U7 Ferryman: Let me off the boat!

Post by John Doty »

I'm trying to play through Ultima 7 with Exult 1.1b3, and I've got stuck trying to get over to Skara Brae. I talk to the Ferryman and pay him his money, and everybody sits on the boat, and then nothing. I discovered I can steer the boat like I would a normal boat, but I can't stand up. I'm trapped on the boat forever.

Either I'm an idiot, or there's a bug somewhere. Help!
John Doty

Re: U7 Ferryman: Let me off the boat!

Post by John Doty »

Ok, I have noticed that if I sail into the port and use the horn, somehow it lets me off the boat. Still doesn't seem right though.
WishStone Dragon

Post by WishStone Dragon »

Hm, sounds like a serious bug (and one I didn't experience there)

What version of Exult are you running, could you grab a safegame of this and send it to the devs?

What SHOULD have happened is that you pay, all sit and Mr Bones brings you over. (Only Problem I had was getting everyone to SIT SIT SIIIIIITT!!)
*blows a ring of green smoke and curls up, purrrrring*
Colourless
Site Admin

Post by Colourless »

Once you are sitting down, try double clicking on the ferryman again. It's an old problem that was fixed, but I can't remember when it was fixed so 1.1b3 might have it.

-Colourless Dragon
drcode
Site Admin

Post by drcode »

Yes, it was fixed fairly recently, probably less than a month ago.
Achile Dragon

Post by Achile Dragon »

Well maybe the ferryman need company after all.

Just kidding

:)
John Doty

Post by John Doty »

Talking to the ferryman and either saying "pay" or "return" lets me off. (Probably because it toggles the "sitting on ferryman's boat" flag, eh?)

But, better yet, the most recent snapshot makes the boat behave correctly in the first place. Thanks!
drcode
Site Admin

Post by drcode »

I've heard that there's a problem where the ferry will travel to Skara Brae, then immediately return before you can get off. I saw this myself several weeks ago, but can't reproduce it now. Is anyone getting this problem with the recent snapshots?
Paulon

Post by Paulon »

I seem to recall it happening once in the original U7, so you may be up against a usecode bug somewhere rather than an Exult one.
drcode
Site Admin

Post by drcode »

Turns out I misunderstood a posting by Ryan on our mailing list. The bug was that the boat's graphics switched direction in the same way that ships do, but it doesn't look right that way. This is now fixed.