Downloading

NOTICE: This forum is archived as read only.
Please use the Github Discussions at https://github.com/exult/exult/discussions
Forum rules
NOTICE: This forum is archived as read only.
Please use the Github Discussions at https://github.com/exult/exult/discussions
Sheila Saunders

Downloading

Post by Sheila Saunders »

I have wanted Ultima 7 for many years. Everytime I would get half way in to the game my son would move and take his computer with him.
I have a new compaq computer with Windows XP. I am a computer novice. I must be doing something wrong because I have tried 5 times to download the game and It is not happening. I am getting an error message that that It cant find the black forge or Serpent Isle. Can someone please help me.
Thank you
drcode
Site Admin

Re: Downloading

Post by drcode »

You need to buy the game itself (Ultima 7), as it has all the artwork and data. It's best if you find the Ultima Collection CD, which used to sell for around $12.

Exult itself is downloadable from our Sourceforge site, but sometimes the server has problems.
WishStone Dragon

Post by WishStone Dragon »

About the downloads of Exult:

I had the problem at times that only a partial package or nothing at all would download when I tried to use a download manager (Flashget), so in the end I did everything quite "manually", not waiting for auto-starts on the download. Just fidget about a bit, I'm no PC expert myself and managed ;]
*blows a ring of green smoke and curls up, purrrrring*
Dominus
Site Admin

Post by Dominus »

well, we do state that a download manager might give you problems :-)
--
Read the documentation and the FAQ! There is no excuse for not reading them! RTFM
Read the Rules!
We do not support Piracy/Abandonware/Warez!
WishStone Dragon

I never blamed you, I blame my lousy con that constandly disconnects and forces me to use a manager at home ;]
Kagehi Kossori

Post by Kagehi Kossori »

I use getright and am on a dialup. Never had a problem downloading anything from anywhere (unless it simply didn't allow managers). Now trying to use IE or Opera to download from some sites is a major pain in the backside, though at least Opera recognizes the file is incomplete and lets you try to continue most times. Some managers are better than others.

Its just too bad FTP doesn't include a built in detection and allow/disallow feature for segmented downloads. The protocol never considered it, so of course you can't even use them with those sites. Worse at least one site I know of malfunctions and tries to transfer some of its files as text documents in some browsers, which then won't save correctly, not to mention other odd quirks that a download manager usually avoids. It is frustrating when you can't use it, especially when the download could take 2-3 hours and browsers all require manual retries as near as I can tell. :(

Man.. Downloading some game from Underdogs or the like and having the connection time out because I wasn't right there to hit 'continue' would royally suck, but then session based downloads suck on a dialup anyway imho.
WishStone Dragon

Downloading games = Bad!
Kagehi Kossori

Post by Kagehi Kossori »

Umm. Most of the games on Underdogs (or maybe I got the site wrong) and the like are Abandonware stuff that has been given over to public domain or where no existing owner can be identified, so... How is it bad?
Dominus
Site Admin

Post by Dominus »

Abandonware is not a legal term. It is a made up term that is not recognizable before the law.
What you think is just is not always just in reagard to laws.
--
Read the documentation and the FAQ! There is no excuse for not reading them! RTFM
Read the Rules!
Gradilla Dragon

Post by Gradilla Dragon »

Software has copyright. Copyrights expire after 70 years.

Anyways, the Underdogs takes out games if the copyright owner asks so. They have taken out several games already, and put notes that the copyright owner politely asked for the removal. They only have games you can't buy anywhere.
- Gradilla Dragon
Gradilla Dragon

Post by Gradilla Dragon »

I think copyright should expire sooner for software. 5 or 6 years seems fine to me. 10 years at most. It's silly to argue that "downloading games is bad", after all, they are no longer on stores, and how else are you going to get them? On eBay? Get real. Paying over US$20 plus shipping for and old game not even worth $1 in the market is silly.
- Gradilla Dragon
Dominus
Site Admin

Post by Dominus »

sure it is but this is not the place to discuss this.
--
Read the Rules!