Has anyone come across the "Souls of Chaos" in Serpent Isle?

NOTICE: This forum is archived as read only.
Please use the Github Discussions at https://github.com/exult/exult/discussions
Forum rules
NOTICE: This forum is archived as read only.
Please use the Github Discussions at https://github.com/exult/exult/discussions
SirJohn

Has anyone come across the "Souls of Chaos" in Serpent Isle?

Post by SirJohn »

I seem to find no traces whatsoever, about these 4 ghosts - I don't even know, where they dwell on Serpent Isle.

From what I understand from the according dialogue (0151) the Souls Of Chaos are the remains of 4 followers of Chaos, who are to dwell "in these corridors until Chaos is restored" and want to kill any "spy sent by the Hierophant of Order"

The four beings are (or better were)
Sansalys, a librarian
Sesyntho, scribe to the Hierophant of Chaos
plus an unspecified priest and a soldier
At least one of themis female

and they hope for the Avatar to help them, yet refuse to aid him helping them directly as "There is a law which forbids us from directly helping thee"

Does any of this ring a bell for anyone?

Is it unused dialogue perhaps because the summon spell is needed (which in return only call the HoC)?

John
Knight Captain

Re: Has anyone come across the "Souls of Chaos" in Serpent I

Post by Knight Captain »

Would these be the ghosts in Skullcrusher? The librarian ghost in particular is helpful with a book or two.
Gotcha!

Post by Gotcha! »

Yeah, those are the Skullcrusher ghosts. Sansalys and Sesyntho introduce themselves as such; the other two either don't know their name anymore or refuse to say it. Neither of them is particularly helpful.

The librarian gives a book about penguins I think? Hinting to find the Magebane, which is of course very useful against the nearby Vasculio.
Gotcha!

Post by Gotcha! »

Oh, I think this needs a bit of clarification: Sansalys is not the librarian you get the book from.
It's given by a ghost that's actually in the library. It has no dialogue and just drops the book when spoken to (under a table if you're unlucky).
Knight Captain

Post by Knight Captain »

Is that a bug in Usecode? I'm sure I could try to fix it.
SirJohn

Post by SirJohn »

Tanks heaps Gotcha and KC: this is helpful XXL

Much appreciated :-)
Gotcha!

Post by Gotcha! »

@KC: I'm positive it's all working as intended.
Perhaps it would have made sense for Sansalys to be in the library, but why would he/she, since he/she's dead and there aren't many customers these days. :)
Gotcha!

Post by Gotcha! »

Yeah, definitely working as intended. Sansalys says the following:

"In life, I was Sansalys, the keeper of the Library of Chaos. Alas, the books are taken, except for a few."
"There is another who awaits thee there. She would aid thee, but of necessity her aid will be strange to thee."
"There is a law which forbids us from directly helping thee. I know that thou art our hope, yet my tongue is ensnared! I cannot speak the truth clearly."

So there's definitely no need to be in the library then. And I feel that death kinda releases you from your current job. :P
Gotcha!

Post by Gotcha! »

Glad to have been of help, SirJohn. If you have more questions, do let us know. :)
Knight Captain

Post by Knight Captain »

But the book drop under the table?
Gotcha!

Post by Gotcha! »

Oh, sorry, I'm being derp. I thought you meant Sansalys' location. *facepalm at self*

Yeah, the book can drop under the table, since the ghost will drop it as soon as you double-click it, and if the ghost happens to be in a table, thanks to its ethereal form, then you can't pick it up.

I'm not sure how that'd be solved, other than maybe make that specific ghost non-ethereal. But even then the book could drop behind a table.
Maybe the book could be teleported to a fixed spot on the ground? I don't know if such wizardry is possible, but I bet you do. :)
Knight Captain

Post by Knight Captain »

The quick-and-dirty way would be to have it appear at a set location. Or have the ghost approach the Avatar and drop it nearby. Or use the function to test if the Avatar can reach the location, and if not then expand the area to place the book.

I still can't write a full cutscene yet though.
Gotcha!

Post by Gotcha! »

I'd say, if you're looking to solve it, go for the easiest solution. :)
SirJohn

Post by SirJohn »

KC: Any of the solutions you have proposed is better than the existing behaviour. As I cannot judge the effort involved with any of the three options, I can only say:
if solution 2 or 3 are not too much of an extra effort compared to possibility 1, choose one of them, as it might be a tad awkward to have a book appearing out of thin air on the opposite side of the room ;-)