Latest version of gimp/gimp-win-remote

NOTICE: This forum is archived as read only.
Please use the Github Discussions at https://github.com/exult/exult/discussions
Forum rules
NOTICE: This forum is archived as read only.
Please use the Github Discussions at https://github.com/exult/exult/discussions
Scythifuge

Latest version of gimp/gimp-win-remote

Post by Scythifuge »

I have switched to Aseprite as the program I use the most to draw/edit new sprites. Things are slow, but I am still drawing when I can, for my projects and a request made by AgentOrangeGuy (I haven't forgotten, just life being lifer!)

However, I was still using the gimp for various functions. I had been using a version from around 2006-8, because newer version made grabbing and dragging objects across my canvases to be very difficult, and Asesprite does not have this problem (it also had amazing features for pixel artists, and I think animations will be easier to create.)

However...

I decided to install the latest version of the gimp, because gimp was crashing on me under my latest Windows 10 install, and the gimp-win-remote function which allowed me to edit sprites directly from the Ultima 7/Exult shapes file was very handy, and saved a lot of time as opposed to exporting-editing-importing-testing in-game, and I wanted to see how gimp has evolved.

I changed the path and everything, and downloaded the latest version of gimp-win-remote.exe that I could find, and it simply doesn't work. Work has been slow as it is, and this makes it worse!

Does anyone have remote editing working with Windows 10 and the latest version of the gimp?
agentorangeguy

Re: Latest version of gimp/gimp-win-remote

Post by agentorangeguy »

I've never been able to get that to work at all for some reason even with the older version of GIMP, it would be handy though!
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Ultima 6 Mod for Exult site: http://www.ultima6.realmofultima.com/
Dominus
Site Admin

Post by Dominus »

in an old post Sythifuge mentions having to add -n as a paremeter ot the gimp-win-remote.exe call or so.
--
Read the documentation and the FAQ! There is no excuse for not reading them! RTFM
Read the Rules!
We do not support Piracy/Abandonware/Warez!
Scythifuge

Post by Scythifuge »

I reinstalled Gimp 2.2.11, and it works again.

My preference line in Exult Studio reads:

C:\Program Files (x86)\GIMP-2.0\bin\gimp-win-remote -n

I have gimp running and click frames in Exult Studio to expand them.

It is handy because I can draw a new sprite, import it into E.S. and place it on the map and look at it in game, and make adjustmets and then repeat process...
Dominus
Site Admin

Post by Dominus »

hmm, what's wrong with just pointing at the gimp binary? (c:/program files/gimp 2/bin/gimp2.10.exe)
In my Windows 10 VM I can enter that and when I right click on a shape in Studio and select edit, the shape opens in GIMP.

And it even works with the "push back" of changes. So if you change something in Gimp and then in "Files" select "overwrite name.png" it will push back the changes to Exult Studio.
--
Read the documentation and the FAQ! There is no excuse for not reading them! RTFM
Read the Rules!
Scythifuge

Post by Scythifuge »

Thank you, Dominus! It works how you described. Things must have changed since then!

I was always using the gimp-win-remote in the same way as I was told to, back in 2006 when I started learning to draw pixel art in the Ultima style.

Now I can mess around with the latest features in gimp, though Aseprite has proven to allow me to do certain things much faster than gimp allows.

Gimp always screwed up the palette when I would re-open my canvas files, and I would have to set it to RGB and then set it back to indexed with the Ultima VII palette in order to fix it. This hasn't happened withy Aesprite. However, Aesprite does have it's own weird issues.
Dominus
Site Admin

Post by Dominus »

Yeah, when I investigated gimp-remote I eventually found a note that it went obsolete with Gimp 2.0.6 and Gimp itself has that functionality. But that was not easy to find right away.
Does that change push back work with Aesprite as well?
--
Read the Rules!
Scythifuge

Post by Scythifuge »

I just tested exult stuido with aseprite. I pointed E.S. to aseprite.exe and opened an image, and drew a red squiggly line over it d it, and it changed in the E.S. shapes window to reflect then squiggle, in real time.

It opens a new instance of aesprite rather than a new tab, but it seems to work!
Dominus
Site Admin

Post by Dominus »

just to mention it, to do this on OS X you need to enter in Exult Studio
"open -a /Applications/Aseprite.app" (or open -a /applications/gimp-2.10.app for current Gimp). The -a is important so it opens more than one file (but that is just how things work generally on OS X).
Curiously it works fine to open them all in the current running Aseprite on OS X.
--
Read the Rules!