[Bug?] Can't press wall buttons

NOTICE: This forum is archived as read only.
Please use the Github Discussions at https://github.com/exult/exult/discussions
Forum rules
NOTICE: This forum is archived as read only.
Please use the Github Discussions at https://github.com/exult/exult/discussions
CheekySparrow

[Bug?] Can't press wall buttons

Post by CheekySparrow »

First of all, I apologize if I am missing something or forgetting some gameplay mechanic...
but those wall buttons that open secret doors don't seem to work for me in the latest Exult (+Keyring mod). Namely secret walls in Fellowship branch and The Baths in Bucaneer's Den. I remember them to be clickable before, but now they don't do anything, therefore I can't open the secret door from the Baths into the cavern, for example.
Please advise, am I remembering something that never existed, or it's indeed a bug. Thanks in advance!
ButtonInactive.jpg
ButtonInactive.jpg (302.38 KiB) Viewed 8644 times
Attachments
exult54bg.sav
(194.91 KiB) Downloaded 342 times
Gotcha!

Re: [Bug?] Can't press wall buttons

Post by Gotcha! »

Wall buttons don't always work for every secret door: Sometimes they need a lever, as they do here.
You can find a bunch of levers to open the south door (which you found, since you got in there).
The door to the north actually needs to be opened from the cave side: You can't enter the cave from here, but you can get in here from the cave.
(If you could have entered from here, then the whole get-the-cube-get-the-guard's-key part could have been skipped.)
CheekySparrow

Post by CheekySparrow »

Hmm. I wonder why did they make wall buttons in the first place then?
Regarding your last point, well, you don't need the cube to enter this cavern, you may enter anytime through the Fellowship building. There's another secret door with a button that doesn't work, but is opened by a lever on the other side via Telekinesis.
Gotcha!

Post by Gotcha! »

To simply indicate that there is a secret door there.

As for not needing the cube to get that key: That's an interesting point you make, I actually didn't realize this (or maybe I did at some point, but got used to playing the game this particular way).
At the end of the day the outcome is the same, I guess, since you still need the cube for the ending.
CheekySparrow

Post by CheekySparrow »

You know, I just realized that *maybe* Telekinesis isn't supposed to go through walls, like in Serpent Isle, but in Exult BG it does :))) Therefore this shortcut exists, whereas it might have not existed in the original. Who knows..
UPD: I actually think I'm right, because I remember going into the caves via Fellowship building/Telekinesis, and finding the Hook's scroll where Alagner is marked as executed, whereas Alagner was still alive. I now definitely think that Telekinesis shouldn't go through walls and therefore you shouldn't be allowed to enter the caves before you get the cube.
Gotcha!

Post by Gotcha! »

Hmm, that'd make a lot of sense.
Fretka

Post by Fretka »

Thought it over and suspect I'd be happier if TK couldn't pierce walls. It makes it too much like a game-world hack_move.
Ahhh, but what about walls with windows that open? Nah, you can't talk to someone through a window either.
SnappyBones

Post by SnappyBones »

It in fact did go through walls in the original and it led to some very confusing sequence breaking. We didn't figure out what was happening until the end of the game. This is also ages late, but what the hey, I was there and I seeeeeen it