Is there an U6 engine like Exult?

NOTICE: This forum is archived as read only.
Please use the Github Discussions at https://github.com/exult/exult/discussions
Forum rules
NOTICE: This forum is archived as read only.
Please use the Github Discussions at https://github.com/exult/exult/discussions
Sukiari

Is there an U6 engine like Exult?

Post by Sukiari »

I really love U6 as well as U7, is there any chance that it may run on modern hardware (or other architectures even)? I have searched a lot and only come up with projects that seek to remake U6, no projects seem to exist that would allow one to play the original like Exult.

Thanks!
Dominus
Site Admin

Re: Is there an U6 engine like Exult?

Post by Dominus »

I suggest you look at our links section (hint: look for nuvie!).
Also http://dosbox.sf.net is a nice way to play u6
--
Read the documentation and the FAQ! There is no excuse for not reading them! RTFM
Read the Rules!
We do not support Piracy/Abandonware/Warez!
zdgbzdfgd

Post by zdgbzdfgd »

Another GREAT way to play u6, WOU:MD and WOU:SE is POCKETdos on a pocketpc.

They work perfectly and fit the PPC screen perfectly. Also playing on the small screen helps get you over the graphics, as they are quite nice looking on a small LCD and at least as good as any PPC game. I couldnt get into u6 on my desktop with newer games and also ultima7 available to play, but u7 won't work on POCKETdos (it can't emulate a 386/486) so u6 and the WOUs are the best you can get - which is great because they are sooo soo good. WOUs rule.
e

Post by e »

check out RPGDOT's ultima section, and scroll through the news over the last few months. Someone just remade part 6 and it's a free download.

www.rpgdot.com
e

Post by e »

Actually, I just checked RPGDOT, and it was a remake of part 4. Sorry for any confusion.
JJ

Post by JJ »

so nuvie or dos box is my best bet ?
I can run in WinXP dos box, but no sound
Dominus
Site Admin

Post by Dominus »

no, not dos box (technically you can't even call the Windows XP command prompt, dos box).
http://dosbox.sf.net is a dos emulator that should run with sound on XP (does so for me and countless others).
Nuvie is "something" like Exult but not yet fully playable but I'd say worth the wait.
--
Read the documentation and the FAQ! There is no excuse for not reading them! RTFM
Read the Rules!
Gradilla Dragon

Post by Gradilla Dragon »

Remember the original topic: "Is there an U6 engine like Exult?". It's not "How do I run U6 in new PCs?"

The comments about dosbox were as an alternative to play the game, since nuvie is not fully functional yet.

About nuvie, it has many improvements over the original. It has support for custom music packs now. I made the Commodore Amiga music pack. There is also smooth lighting, drag and drop interface, you can scroll the message window, and other nice features to improve gameplay.

There's much work to do yet.
- Gradilla Dragon
Sukiari

Post by Sukiari »

Yeah, seeing as how my machine is a Macintosh, I don't think just running it in dosbox will work.
Colourless
Site Admin

Post by Colourless »

DOSBox is platform portable. While it does work best on an x86 system, you shouldn't have a problem on a Mac.
Fop

Post by Fop »

The DOSBox homepage has MacOS X binaries.
sorryimabitofftopic

Post by sorryimabitofftopic »

i want u6! MY COMP WAS REFORMATTED and i cant find u6 again! is there a freeware or abandonware site that i can go to to find it because i cant stand not playing it. it is my fav game and i know everything there is to know about it. youd think id get bored of it...
EarthquakeDamage

Post by EarthquakeDamage »

As I understand it, this forum's policy on freeware and abandonware is to avoid the topic. If your heart's set on finding an abandonware site with U6, I recommend you look elsewhere. You probably won't get help here.

Of course, I could be wrong.
Dominus
Site Admin

Post by Dominus »

Our policy on freeware is that we like freeware, appreciate and support it. Abandonware is another topic that we don't avoid but clearly say that bandonware is not legal and therefore is not to be discussed or asked for here.
--
Read the Rules!
Kagehi Kossori

Post by Kagehi Kossori »

There was for some time a site called theunderdogs that had links to the companies that owned the products for most of them, but also provided real downloads for games that they claimed to have gotten direct permission to post for download. Since then, apparently something has changed. I went their recently and now they appear to be nothing more than just a lame search engine with none of the detailed pages on the different games or links. All it takes even for someone trying to do this legitimately is for you to "think" you have gotten permission from the right person and for someone else with more authority to come along and scream, "We don't care how old it is or if you can buy it! Stop sharing it with people!" and you are in trouble. This is imho rather unfortunate, since they rarely remake old games, you have a snowballs chance of finding some of them at all, and when they do remake them, they usually either totally suck or lose the original feel of the game (or both).

Frankly, I think the whole bloody mess is total BS. In many cases the companies may not even exist anymore, no one owns the stuff other than the original authors or the company that does own the rights now makes paperclips or something. I fail to comrehend how patent and copyright law was supposed to protect the right of companies to simply bury anything they no longer find useful, instead of having it 'by definition' end up on the curb where, just like with your trash, it becomes public property (at least until disposed of completely). Its rediculous to the point of pure stupidity.
SB-X

Post by SB-X »

You used the wrong URL. Add a hyphen.
They post any underdogs that they havn't received explicit requests not to post.
Gradilla Dragon

You are right, Patrick, The Underdogs site features game titles that either:
a) You can't buy from the publisher/developer/copyright-holder anymore
b) Are freely available legally

But notice how the Ultima Series is not there, except for Ultima IV and I think the World of Ultima/Adventure titles (I can not confirm since there is a lot of traffic on that site at the moment, so I can't get in). Why? I think EA still sells the Ultima Collection in the EA CD-ROM Gold Classics presentation. That is the reason.

Another thing, The Underdogs site not only features old comercial games, but freeware and fan-made games as well.
- Gradilla Dragon
Gradilla Dragon

I just confirmed. Ultima IV and Martian Dreams are there. For Savage Empire it directs you to a page that sells a CD called EA Compilation, which includes Savage Empire, Black Gate, Ultima Underworld and several other games.

The CD costs $8.95 and they have 50 in stock.
- Gradilla Dragon