OT: Favorite Linux Distro

NOTICE: This forum is archived as read only.
Please use the Github Discussions at https://github.com/exult/exult/discussions
Forum rules
NOTICE: This forum is archived as read only.
Please use the Github Discussions at https://github.com/exult/exult/discussions
Skutarth

OT: Favorite Linux Distro

Post by Skutarth »

I just wanted to what people are using. I am using SuSE, which is pretty good. I'm going to have to guess that the most popular is going to be Slackware, though.
Ares

Re: OT: Favorite Linux Distro

Post by Ares »

Im using mandrake on my linux machine... just got the computer from a friend last week and didnt know any of the hardware. I knew mandrake has good auto-detection and easy install, and i already had a cd for it, so i just used it. I would use slackware but I guess im classified as a linux newb (been using windows since i first touched a computer, just switched one computer to linux).
Rizzy

Post by Rizzy »

I'm using debian, its the only distrubition I've ever used.
Maybe cuz I haven't been using linux all that long.
drcode
Site Admin

Post by drcode »

Gentoo is what I use, mainly because it's good for developers (makes it easy to update individual packages without having to update the whole system). My favorite commercial distribution is SuSE, although I haven't tried Mandrake yet.
wjp
Site Admin

Post by wjp »

Gentoo.
Darke
Site Admin

Post by Darke »

Gentoo. (Genthree? given the comments...) SuSE's great though.
Iceshard-

Post by Iceshard- »

Sorry, I don't use Linux, but I thought, since it was the topic, that this might be funny for some of you. (Mentions SuSe, too ;))

http://www.strangehorizons.com/index.pl ... dger.shtml
Covenant

Post by Covenant »

I used Debian with my old 486. Then I switched to Mandrake with my P3... that was the worst decision I have ever take.

Now I use SuSE 9 and I'm very happy, it's a very good distro. But I have started with Gentoo in my work and probably will switch soon here.

So IMHO I think that SuSE is better for linux newbies and Gentoo for people with more experience with *nix systems.

Of course this is for a normal machine... if you want to install linux on a badger the thing changes ;)
Ares

Post by Ares »

what was wrong with mandrake?

just curious, cause its the only one ive ever really used (successfully), and if it sucked, I wanna switch :)

i tried knoppix, but cant do a hd install because my linux machines hard drive is only 1.5 g...
artaxerxes
Site Admin

Post by artaxerxes »

I use Mandrake all the way through... Never had to complain, perfect autodetection, even managed to convince my wife to use it from now on.

We watch TV on it (with a TV card - very easily setup with drakeTV), and do all the usual stuff you do on a workstation/personal desktop.

On a related note, I've been asked by a friend to setup a network for people that contracted him. Their main server is a Dell PowerEdge which had Windows 2003 Server installed on it. I got a bit reluctant to install Mandrake on it, thinking it would barf on the RAID controller cards and all the stuff that make that machine special. Well, I popped in the CD, removed the Windows partition, added LVM, formatted the drives, installed the system, setup the root password, installed the bootloader (which defaulted to SMP since the PowerEdge had HyperThreading) and rebooted! It worked the first time! Everything _FULLY_ detected. RAID controller was automatically detected and appropriate drivers were loaded, I really had nothing to do at all! Just amazing. My bud told me how painful it was to install Windows 2003 server on that machine and for Mandrake (9.2) it was just a breeze.
For completion, this server will be used to run Kolab, so that clients using XP and Outlook can still have groupware functionality (using a plugin).

Artaxerxes
Ares

Post by Ares »

Thats why I use mandrake 9.2 :)

problem with linux is all the damn dependencies!!! want to update kde but missing some lib :(
SB-X

Post by SB-X »

> if it sucked, I wanna switch :)

Only you would know if it sucked or not.
Ares

Post by Ares »

well, as ive only really used mandrake, I cant really compare it with other distros. I heard slackware was good, and I think fedora/red hat's good... slackwares out of the picture; im new with linux, and I dont know any of my machines hardware. I just wanna know if I there are better distros that are still newb-friendly.
Gradilla Dragon

Post by Gradilla Dragon »

There is SuSE.
- Gradilla Dragon
nadir
Site Admin

Post by nadir »

Gentoo is ok for a one man workstation, but the whole "download source, compile, install" sequence is silly if you have several machines.

I use Debian on my box and all of my servers (12 at the moment). Updates and upgrades are easy and I have a private apt repo with special packages which need to be installed on all boxes.

RedHat Enterprise or SuSE Enterprise are the way to go if you want commercial support from HW/SW vendors (e.g. you need one of these if you want to run Oracle, WebSphere or some other commercial product, unless you don't need the support - they run fine on Debian otherwise).

Mandrake is quite good.

Slackware is classic and simple.

Just my 2¢

Tristan
drcode
Site Admin

Post by drcode »

12 servers? I assume that's at work:-)
Axel DominatoR

Post by Axel DominatoR »

Gentoo ^_^
I used a lot of distros ( starting with slackware, redhat, suse, mandrake, debian )
but I agree with DrCrode... Gentoo is perfect for a developer or for anyone that wants a system that auto-updates and configure all the OS really for YOUR machine.
Well there is binary portage, too so you must not download sources and compile if you don't want to...
just read about -k option in emerge
Axel
Axel DominatoR ^^^ HC
Apathas

Post by Apathas »

Slackware!
draconx

Post by draconx »

I use gentoo, but i run Debian on my crappy old pentium

I've tried Mandrake, but after apt and portage.... the rpm system just doesn't seem as good anymore...
Ares

Post by Ares »

From what ive read, the rpm system sucks.

from what ive seen, the rpm system sucks.
I wanted to try gentoo but it seemed reall complicated, so I decided to try later when I have time. Ive read that portage is awesome.
wjp
Site Admin

Post by wjp »

There's always yum or apt-get for rpm.
MemoryDragon

Post by MemoryDragon »

I used to use various distros over the years.
SLS, Suse, Redhat, Gentoo

but recently ( a year ago) I settled down for Debian (unstable on most machines)
I was almost happy with Gentoo, but the endless compile cycles were a total pain, and the configurability not that much better, the same goes for speed.

With Debian I am almost perfectly happy, besides that unstable breaks stuff a tad too often and testing is too much out of date. What Debian would need would be a step between Unstable and Testing which does not break stuff anymore, but where you don?t have to wait half a year to get a newer kde version.
Wizardry Dragon

Post by Wizardry Dragon »

<-- Red Hat 9.0 all the way.

(Dual partition with Windows XP. On on the XP side right now)

- Wizardry Dragon
Cheers, Wizardry Dragon
Lead Designer, Ultima VII: The Feudal Lands
www.thefeudallands.ca
Daemongar

Post by Daemongar »

Dual boot Windows 2000/Mandrake 9.2

I can't stand XP – removed it from my system – may give it a go when SP2 comes out. Still too many ways to trash a system. Also, it’s easier to create a dual-boot with Windows 2000. YMMV.

But no matter what distro I use, I still find myself in the “no matter what application you want to install, you need a file you don’t have” syndrome. I either need to read a book or start digging more into the Linux side.
Wizardry Dragon

I had that trying to install the Linux sound archetecture files required for Rosegarden. It's just a matter of following the chain back and then installing in the proper order.

Frustrating, but not overly complex. (At least, for RH)

- Wizardry Dragon
Cheers, Wizardry Dragon
www.thefeudallands.ca
Gradilla Dragon

I've heard about all those problems with dependencies and stuff, the "well known" dependency hell. Never ever had them myself. I use SuSE.
- Gradilla Dragon
SB-X

Post by SB-X »

What does SuSE do different?
Gradilla Dragon

Different in what aspect?
- Gradilla Dragon
SB-X

Post by SB-X »

In how it handles application installs & dependencies. I thought you implied you never had those problems because you use SuSE.
Gradilla Dragon

Well, I don't really know what's different, as it uses RPMs as well. The fact is I've never had dependency problems, and I have installed several things and done updates and stuff.
- Gradilla Dragon
Wizardry Dragon

"and stuff"

Like ... ? :-)

- Wizardry Dragon
Cheers, Wizardry Dragon
www.thefeudallands.ca
Gradilla Dragon

Like installing two different versions of some package and having them simultaneously without interfering with each other.

For example Python 2.2 and 2.3
- Gradilla Dragon
Wizardry Dragon

I have that on Red Hat with no hitch, the old beta version of PHP and the new release. :-)

- Wizardry Dragon
Cheers, Wizardry Dragon
www.thefeudallands.ca
fliptw

Post by fliptw »

with the linux standards base, thats pretty much a given for any package system

I use debian.

the main problem with gentoo is that for most people, there isn't a tacit advantage to compiling the entire system... most people on x86/PPC platforms have similar enough CPUs, my Barton chip is the same as someone's else.

the only thing that would be different is the rest of the hardware... thats all handled thru the kernel.

unless you are running new, unheard of, or rare hardware, there is probably little benefit from compiling the entire system versus using the complete binary package for your CPU(aka a stage 3 tarball).
Axel DominatoR

Post by Axel DominatoR »

Well not exactly... I have a K6-200 and an Athlon XP-m 2800...
Each of the system really improves in speed when compiled with the right flags.
For example I usually use -O3 while mostly distros compiles with -O2...
I know that not always -O3 is faster than -O2, but I usually notice a speed improvement.
Oh, it's also the only distro that I made working everywhere!
I installed gentoo in about ten computers... sure it's not ready-to-go as Mandrake, but really it does ANYTHING work... it only needs a bit of patience to configure...
Axel
Axel DominatoR ^^^ HC
Ares

Post by Ares »

I have a question: would the cpu manufacturer affect the performance of XFree86? Because I got a old computer with a cyrix(?) II 300 mhz processor, and while in a desktop manager, it runs slower than my old 150 mhz. Anyone know what other things effect this (other than video card)?
Colourless
Site Admin

Post by Colourless »

Cyrix... there's your problem. :-)
Ares

Post by Ares »

is cyrix a crappy cpu?

should I just ditch it and find a cheap P2 or P3?
Gradilla Dragon

The really old Cyrix CPUs (anything 100 MHz and under) were pretty good, but the later ones were really bad. My uncle had a PC with Cyrix 200 MHz CPU, and it fried after some time, so he replaced it with a 233 or 266 MHz one, and it fried after some more time, so he replaced it again, and the third one did fry as well.

Navigating through some forums, I found out it was common for those CPUs to fry. Also, there was a gaming news page I used to visit, I don't remember which; the page went for some days without updates, then at last there was an update where the editor said the page would be up to date with news as soon as he got a new motherboard and CPU. He clarified that his Cyrix CPU fried and he didn't have the buck to get a quick replacement at the moment.
- Gradilla Dragon
MFlint

Post by MFlint »

I used RedHat 9.0 on my Dell laptop for since it was released. RedCarpet by ximian and Yum makes short work of dependencies. I have since switched to OS X which is now my favorite unix.
Ares

Post by Ares »

Thanks Gradilla. Im seeing if I can get a Duron or Athlon with a new and better mobo.