Skimpy animals?

NOTICE: This forum is archived as read only.
Please use the Github Discussions at https://github.com/exult/exult/discussions
Forum rules
NOTICE: This forum is archived as read only.
Please use the Github Discussions at https://github.com/exult/exult/discussions
Andar

Skimpy animals?

Post by Andar »

Has anyone else noticed that the animals (such as deer and cows) seem rather...lean lately? I killed a herd of 3 cows and each only had one steak in it. I have also killed a few deer earlier, and they each only had one leg!

Five legs may have been overkill, but one is just absurd. :) I have a savegame if anyone wants to see it.
drcode
Site Admin

Re: Skimpy animals?

Post by drcode »

I'll see if it happens in the latest build tonight.
TdI

Post by TdI »

Maybe a previous hunter ate some of the meat and then cast ressurect on the poor beasts.
Andar

Post by Andar »

Maybe...not? :) I found another herd of cows on Valoria (I think) that was 5 or so, all with one meat. Not that it affects play much, I just have to be careful of their hunger level, or butcher entire herds of cattle! At least, these cattle magically respawn.
mikemayday

Post by mikemayday »

Oh how I hate respawning.
Tobias

Post by Tobias »

so do I. a limited number of creatures etc. for all games plz.
TdI

Post by TdI »

That sucks. I like the respawning. The world always stays alive. Unlike other RPGs, where everywhere you go twice is a barren nomansland, because you cleaned everything out on the first run.
Scythifuge

Post by Scythifuge »

Controlled respawning would be good, to slowly repopulate an area after a certain period of time elapses. I wonder if that is possible to implement...
Andar

Post by Andar »

That would be better than routing a dungeon, coming back from the depths and finding a horde of dragons to battle while on your way back OUT!

And it seems just silly to walk half a screen away from a slaughtered herd of cows, and find they're all back alive again!
mikemayday

Post by mikemayday »

Yeah.
Respawning is definitely the worst part of the Ultima games to me.
drcode
Site Admin

Post by drcode »

Is this problem (skimpy animals) still happening? I tried killing a deer in the latest snapshot of BG, and there were 5 roasts, as expected.
Scythifuge

Post by Scythifuge »

I just did a quick test, and I too get 5 roasts from deer, as well as 5 steaks from cows.
mjohnston

Post by mjohnston »

a somewhat related question... how can you change or set which frame of food an animal has? I tried to do it in exult studio, and can set the shape number, but can not seem to be able to set the frame number... I was thinking BG needs some bears and boars from SI... and that they need meat
drcode
Site Admin

Post by drcode »

I believe the food frames are currently hard-coded, so that's something we need to fix.
marzo
Site Admin

Post by marzo »

how can you change or set which frame of food an animal has?
At present, it is hard-coded; however, when the massive update I am working on is done, you'll be able to set it in ES (it is already done, in case you are curious).
------
Marzo Sette Torres Junior
aka Geometrodynamic Dragon
[url=http://www.catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-questions.html]How To Ask Questions The Smart Way[/url]
Andar

Post by Andar »

Yep, all fixed up in the latest snapshot, it took me longer than usual to find a beastie to slay. :)
HB

Post by HB »

That's a bad complain >.> HOW can anyone hate respawing when the enemies are so easy to defeat, and you still get good loot? Plus removing the respawning would be not so good (in the authors opinion)

Edit by Dominus: If you view something completely different say so with more friendly words (I edited your post in such a way)