BG secrets

NOTICE: This forum is archived as read only.
Please use the Github Discussions at https://github.com/exult/exult/discussions
Forum rules
NOTICE: This forum is archived as read only.
Please use the Github Discussions at https://github.com/exult/exult/discussions
Shaun

BG secrets

Post by Shaun »

Hi!

I am an Ultima 7 fan from way back. I first played these games on a 486 when it came out when I was 12. Anyway, my brother got a copy of this Exult program, and when he moved in with me, I started playing, and oh.. the memories.

Anyway, I think that I have found every secret in this game. I have found little caves that and secret rooms that I have seen in no walkthroughs or discusions before. I am thinking about posting a treasure hunter's/oddity finder's (and completly virtuous! Avatars don't lift things from people's houses!) walk through.

Anyway, a few samples of my knowledge... have any of you ever found what i refer to as "The Master Key"? It looks like the Key to the Black Gate, but turned in the other direction, and is located in a log cabin on a tiny island north of Jhelom in the Valorians. This key acts as a lockpick, yet it NEVER breaks. My brother and I want to post this, and have you guys add to it.

Anyway, I have two questions. There are two secrets in BG that I have not uncovered. Can anyone answer these?
1. In the Jungles north of the Drylands, there is a large black "X" on the ground with a few glass swords around it, and a chest. When it is approached, the Guardian speaks, but he talks backwards. Anyway, within this chest, there is a lot of junk, and also a key. This key has a glowing pink tip. I have never been able to find out what this key goes to. Has anyone discovered its use?
2. In Serpent's Hold, on the Isle of Deeds, there is a chest in the meeting room behind the pub. This chest cannot be picked; it has a specific key. I have never been able to find the key to this chest. Has anyone else ever found it? By the way, the key that I just described does not go to this chest!

Would anyone else have an interest in a walkthrough which describes all of the secrets in the wilderness and dungeons of Britannia that I have found over the years?
Dominus
Site Admin

Re: BG secrets

Post by Dominus »

The Master Key is referred to as "Skeleton Key".
As for the X, I think somewhere on the forum the lock-location is mentioned. The Guardian says "I am the Pagan lord" backwards (AFAIK).
--
Read the documentation and the FAQ! There is no excuse for not reading them! RTFM
Read the Rules!
We do not support Piracy/Abandonware/Warez!
Steve2

Post by Steve2 »

I think you should try the Key from the X at the chest in Serpent Hold.

I'm not shure, but i think it worked when i was playing
Bomb Bloke

Post by Bomb Bloke »

A little tale...

The shed outside of Britin contains the Hoe of Destruction, right? It's in the shed because the owner lost the key, whilst using it as a fishing hook at Lock (Loch?) Lake, by Cove.

Like most of us, I just removed the door by other means (I don't know if a normal weapon can do it, but LB's cannons sure do!), and took the hoe.

However, I also like to ransac Britainia, so I did a lap of the lake, sifting through the trash and checking every single corpse over for the key.

I don't remember if I found a key, but if I did, it didn't work on the farmer's shed.

Anyway!

There are two kinds of fish. Those you can eat, and those you cannot. The ones you can't are bodies, and they can contain items. These fish are upside down on the screen, if I remember rightly.

At Serpent's Hold, there is a table covered in fish. One is a body, and it has a key on it.

So I took this key to the farmers shed, and - it didn't do a thing.

I also tried it on the meeting room chest. It didn't work. I haven't been able to open that chest either. I also don't know where the fish key goes.

These days, I grab any chests I can't open, and carry them with my party until I find the key. It saves back tracking. If I don't find the key, I drag the chest back to Sentri's house, where I store all my loot.

Every now and then I find a key for one of these mystery chests, but chests aren't distinctive, so I can't give the locations of the keys and their respective chests.

Another chest I don't think I've managed to open is near treasure cave (bash a parrot, you'll find it). Look for a small island with a fort, occupied by a some bandits. There's a chest in there, and if I've ever cracked it open, it was a very long time ago.

Finally, just north of Jhehom, there is a small island with a tiny piece of mountain on it. If you use the map teleport (or the hackmover, to remove the mountain), you'll find a small room. I don't remember if there is any ligitimate way to enter (or leave) this room. The only item I can remember of interest in it was a rifle.

That's the most obscure stuff I can remember.

Come to think of it, I suppose there is a link between each key and it's lock... There should be a way to write a program that can give the location of each key, and what it goes with.

But that would spoil things. Wouldn't it? :)
---------------------------------------------------------------------
You're just jealous 'cause the voices only talk to me. :P
painful

Post by painful »

Certain chests can be attacked or blown open. But I too have yet to find the key combinations for the forementioned chests. I have however found the key to the shed, even though I had already hack moved the hoe out of it.

We all should really collaborate on a 'Guide To Ultima, in and out' to display all the nifty hidden areas and items.
-kel, ascendence.net
Christopher Strong

Post by Christopher Strong »

I found the key for the Farmer's Shed. It is in a fish at Loch Lake, but is hard to find; it is sort of hidden under a plant.

I refused to blow up the door when I knew there was a key.

-Chris
Mikser

Post by Mikser »

That's what has always appealed to me in Ultima VII; the freedom to search every nook and cranny of the world for those hidden little tidbits.
ExultUser

Post by ExultUser »

Warning, SPOILERS below...

The key to the shed with the hoe of destruction in it is somewhere around sextant coordinates 2N 48E.

I believe that the key found where the large X is (where the Guardian says "I am the pagan lord" backwards) opens the chest in the dining room in Serpent's Hold.

Some other secret places I have in my notes:

The house of the dead.. I think you have to cheat to get to this. The hex coords for it are 5a8,508,0. I don't know whether you can use those coords in exult however (they're from the original.)

The Trinsic treasure chest (no idea where the key is, you can just attack it to get it open though.) Sextant coords 128S 3W.

There is a lever behind the stone of castamber in FOV (only a couple of pixels are visible.) Throwing it opens a doorway in the nearby tunnel which leads to a secret chamber.

There's another hidden switch behind a statue in the cemetery in Skara Brae. Sextant coords 54S 65W.

Finally my personal favourite: There is a room in the mountains west of Britain that can only be reached by cheating. Definitely a must see :-) Go to hex coordinates 1f2,407,0, then use the cheat menu to make yourself ethereal and walk east into the mountains.
Bomb Bloke

Post by Bomb Bloke »

The house of the dead contains any NPCs who, for various reasons, are dead.

In the original, this room fulls up as you play, but I don't think Exult uses it at all. I'm guessing there's just an empty carpet, sitting in blackness.

SI has a much more interesting house of the dead.

Some consider the switch in Scara Brae to be a cheat... as it gives you a bunch of plot items... But I always grab the armor.

(Though I didn't last time I played through the game... as I never got around to visiting that island). ;)

Could you please gimme a better description of where the Trinsic chest is? Which house/part of the city?
ExultUser

Post by ExultUser »

The Trinsic chest (which I've heard some people say is a cheat) is hidden under a tree south of Trinsic. You should have no trouble finding it using the sextant coordinates.
Shaun

Post by Shaun »

Hey, I promise that the key from the chest with the "X" does not open the chest in the meeting room of Serpent's Hold. However, as for your "Fish Key" located in the pub on Seprent's Hold... Take that key, and get in your boat. Go around the island that Serpent's hold is on, to the south side. On the south side of the island, there is a cave, that you need to use the boat to get into. In otherwords, drop your gang plank on the shore to access this cave. The cave is filled with water, but you can walk on a path of dry land around the rim of the cave. Walk around the cave, killing the alligators, until you come to a corpse or two and a chest. Use the "Fish Key" from the pub to open this chest. Inside you will find another key. That key can be used to open the armory with all of the magic weapons in Serpent's Hold. Now, you can save all of this searching for keys, if you just go to Sir Richter's room (the one on the left side of the castle with the pile of clothes in the lower right hand corner) and dig through the pile of clothes. Underneath it is a key that also opens the armory with the magic weapons.

Mack's shed is old news man! You can find his key in a dead fish on the north shore of Lock Lake, but you have to really search. It's worth it though, because that's a nice weapon, and finding the key is a lot more rewarding than blowing the door up!

Anyway, if anyone really can answer the question I posted, I'd love to hear it. This has been giving me a headache lately!
Bomb Bloke

Post by Bomb Bloke »

I pointed out the shed because I figured the fish key might have come from Lock Lake.

I have opened the aligator cave chest... Long long ago by using that key. Exult lets me use the 'K' button, so these days it's a pain to work out what key gets used where.

I didn't use the sextant co-ords because I don't have access to Exult right at this second. I wanted to know if I'd found the chest... I haven't. ;)

Any notes on the Jheholm mountain hut?
wjp
Site Admin

Post by wjp »

> I believe that the key found where the large X is (where the Guardian
> says "I am the pagan lord" backwards) opens the chest in the dining
> room in Serpent's Hold.

That is correct.

> Hey, I promise that the key from the chest with the "X" does not open
> the chest in the meeting room of Serpent's Hold.

No, it does open it.

> Come to think of it, I suppose there is a link between each key and its
> lock... There should be a way to write a program that can give the
> location of each key, and what it goes with.

Maybe I shouldn't mention that full BG/SI item database I have lying around :-)

> Finally, just north of Jhehom, there is a small island with a tiny piece of
> mountain on it. If you use the map teleport (or the hackmover, to remove
> the mountain), you'll find a small room. I don't remember if there is any
> ligitimate way to enter (or leave) this room. The only item I can remember
> of interest in it was a rifle.

You can walk through the eastern wall of that room.

> Another chest I don't think I've managed to open is near treasure cave
> (bash a parrot, you'll find it). Look for a small island with a fort, occupied
> by a some bandits. There's a chest in there, and if I've ever cracked it
> open, it was a very long time ago.

The key to that chest is in the room itself. Look for a well-hidden bag in the southeast of the room.

> We all should really collaborate on a 'Guide To Ultima, in and out' to
> display all the nifty hidden areas and items.

Might be a nice use for a Wiki, if somebody feels like setting it up and maintaining it.
dino

Post by dino »

>Maybe I shouldn't mention that full BG/SI item database I have lying around

You have a key database? I've been making one myself lately...
Dino the Dark Dragon
----====[url=http://www.udic.org/]UDIC[/url]====----
Webmaster of [url=http://dino.shiftedphase.com/ultima/]Dino's Ultima Page[/url]
KAlor

lol i could go no fortever aobut U7

Post by KAlor »

Lol i Know EVERYThing about this game lol i spent like 2 years playing that damn game and it still kinda is addictive, was my first RPG when i was like 13,ah what memories. lol i too could add to this list. Like the house of the dead is actually a place the devleopers put as a eater egg, where every thing you killed thatr isnt a respawnable npc, will go when it dies. Quiet interestinf for rekilling. Heres one thing i bet alot of you havnt tried. Kill a person like nustle etc , place yourself in their body then res them! lol you go straight to the house of death. Quiet fun to mess with. Also on Serpents Isle if you kill that one girl with the ring of teleportation, and res her, and then try to talk to her, you will activate a never ending con vo, causing you to restart lol reload game hehe. Ah lets see, another one is the Way to kill Lord british, when he stands over the sign post in the courtyard, doublke click it and watch what your companions say. Another one would be The Room of conspirators. I beleive in the mountains east on Britan is a huge complex with a bunch of assassians you at the moment you enter, are planning to kill Lord british. another fun thing to do, fo quick retreat when robbing the mint. Is to back a wagon up to back door of mint, run through and grab all the chest, throw em on the wagon and haul ass outa there lol. another is thehidden cave room near the Skeleton key island. It had ALOT of valuables and some gun powder and a gun etc. lol theres so much, alot of it yall prolly know, but if they ever made a game show on this game, im 100% sure id win lol
@insert Shameless nerd here@
Dragon-Dreams

Post by Dragon-Dreams »

Yeah, I remember the Conspirators. It was a little out of the way, took a bit of extra effort. But it was well worth it in the end.
Lots of useful stuff.
I sadly can't remember too many secrets,
My memory is fairly bad. But I do remember finding a fair few easter eggs and secret areas. The fact the world is so large allows the developers to hide them quite often.
That you set above cold and irreverent thrones."
Bomb Bloke

Post by Bomb Bloke »

I remember using the hackmover to equip people as items...

The game tends to crash if you hit people with them, but that's a bit OT...

I'll mention the U7 cheat room for the two people out there who haven't already found it. Go to the blacksmiths shop in Trinsic, and use crates to make a staircase to the roof. Walk behind the chimney to warp to the cheat room.

There is also a cheat room in SI, involving a treestump, but I never bothered to go there.

And another one in Ultima 8, which contains nothing of real use.
MV

Post by MV »

There is also a cheat room in SI, involving a treestump, but I never bothered to go there.
Why not? It's the best cheat room ever because it's filled with naked womens. :D
Wesley

Post by Wesley »

everyone should know about the trinsic cheat..

and that big X thing with the guardian speaking... thats only there if you have FOV installed. that was added as a source for glass swords if you needed them. there is a book on the FoV island that talks about it or someone tells you about that location if you need glass swords. there is 1 place you need for main quest, 1 place you need for non-main, 1 place that helps a lot for main, and 2 places that helps a lot for non-main. there should be 6 glass swords at that X and thats why. and there are only 2 on the FoV island i think.
Dragon-Dreams

Post by Dragon-Dreams »

I remember finding the X before I had Forge of Virtue, funny...
That you set above cold and irreverent thrones."
LordChuckles

Post by LordChuckles »

OH MY GOD!! i cannot finish reading this thread because i have found every single thing you guys are talking about, DONT worry about the chest in serpents hold, all it contains are reagents... as for the black X, i believe this is to throw you off from the REAL treasure chest, southwest of trinsic hidden behind a tree..(the coordinates the parrot gives i think?) (and the black X does appear before having forge of virtue installed) that "solitary room in the mountain" with a musket, some gold, bunch of cobwebs, yes theres a legitimate way to get in there.. but its been years for me. and KAlor, 2 years is not long enough to know EVERYTHING about this game... theres just too much.,... ive only just recently discovered certain things, mainly from forge of virtue though because i never played that as a kid. (but the "kill lord british with the sign" technique was one of my recent nuggets of joy i discovered) (YOU CAN ALSO kill him AND batlin with an energy bolt if youve got your stats beefed up(ive noticed alot of these spells do nothing so far in Exult, but in old school BG it worked like a charm)) many many many summer nights, many many many Jolt Colas, and many many many cigarettes... and im STILL learning things about this game... Exult Team: of all the games you could POSSIBLY have rebuilt... YOU PICKED THE RIGHT ONE!!!! keep it up!!!!!!!!

-GRandma, New Guardian of Britannia mwahahahahaha
Let us play The Game!
Peter

Post by Peter »

Wow, this is a long thread. Here are some thing not mentioned:

The Trinsic chest (magic armor /sword, etc.) does have a key. Position the avatar so that the chest is in the top left of the screen. Along the tree line there is a rock beneath which is the key. The key stricks out from under the rock a bit.

I remember two rooms along the mountain ridge. One has a false mountain, through which one may walk. The other may only be reached from a teleporter in the cheat room.

To get to the cheat room (the original way) put a single chest above a tree in the stone lined area of Trinsic and step on it.

There is a key for the first door in the test of courage. I have only been able to reach it by cheating though. It is in the mountains near the bridge that can be found while lurking through the test of truth. It is the key that you see when looking in the crystal ball that needs a glass sword.

The room that has LB in it where he scolds you for cheating. Someone above mentioned it, but incorrectly say that one can only reach it by cheating. Place a single chest above the tree outside of the tavern in Trinsic. Step on that chest.
LordChuckles

Post by LordChuckles »

yeah i remember LB scalding me for cheating, but it was only after casting armageddon i think... it was near the cave where all the "dead" bodies go when theyre replaced with the corpse image... havent heard of the "single chest above the tree outside of the tavern in trinsic" ... never knew about that... im gonna try it now

-GRandma
Let us play The Game!
LordChuckles

Post by LordChuckles »

Quote from Peter: "To get to the cheat room (the original way) put a single chest above a tree in the stone lined area of Trinsic and step on it."

can you send a screenshot of this for me with the Eggs enabled? i see two "u" eggs above the tree outside the tavern, but cant make it work...
Let us play The Game!
Bomb Bloke

Post by Bomb Bloke »

You put the chest... on top of the tree? (O o)
Neutronium Dragon

Post by Neutronium Dragon »

There are actually two cheat rooms in SI, both of which are reached by climbing to a particular point. One was (as I recall) initially accessed by ascending onto a tree stump near Stefano's house, then following an invisible path over the water to the western half of Mad Mage Isle. The other one (Claw Isle) was reached by stacking and climbing some crates in just the right spot in the park in Monitor.

Neutronium Dragon
Thepal

Post by Thepal »

The tree near the tavern in Trinsic he means is to the south-west of it (in the walled off part next the the house)
Thepal

Post by Thepal »

There's also the cheat of no return in Moonshade. Walk into the stairs to the apothecary and you get teleported to another place. Open the secret wall to the north and go through the door and through the teleporter and you arrive on a football field complete with cheerleaders

Of course, the teleporter out doesn't actually work :P
LordChuckles

Post by LordChuckles »

ahhh i see now (i gathered all the fences from trinsic a while back to build with, so it took me some looking before i found the Egg behind a tree)

also, is there a web page or something showing where all those cheat teleporters go? (i still havent caught onto the whole shrine/rune thing, nor have i ever successfully marked or recalled, after 8 - 10 years of playing)
Let us play The Game!
Bomb Bloke

Post by Bomb Bloke »

You need to eight stones (which are in the museum) to mark/recall. Cast mark on a stone, then later cast recall on the same stone: You will teleport to your location when you cast mark.

Each rock starts with a location of one of the shrines set to it, so just casting recall on one of them should have some effect regardless.
Peter

Post by Peter »

By above the tree, I meant one step north of it.
Sorry, I don't have U7 running, so I can not take screenshots. Perhaps I will set Exult up this weekend.
Neutronium Dragon

With regard to Mark/Recall: It sounds as if you're trying to use the *runes* to Mark/Recall with? Those won't work. You need the virtue stones, which are the eight colored rocks in one of the side rooms.

Neutronium Dragon
Thepal

Post by Thepal »

Oooooh. I just found something secret I didn't know about in Serpent Isle.

I'm currently creating the Spinebreaker city for my U9 remake, and so I am moving myself around it in Exult to map it. Anyway, I was on the bridge over lava near the carpet elevator thingy in the north of the city, and I hack-moved myself down to below the bridge to take a look around and see if there was anything down there.

I found a sign.

"TURN OFF HACKMOVER YOU CHEATER"

It seems I've been caught ^_^
Kruno

Post by Kruno »

Since when is the Gaurdian a Pagan lord?

I would like more info on this.

Sorry, I do believe you Dominus but I would like more info about specifics on this.

Thanks
SB-X

Post by SB-X »

He said that the Guardian says he is THE Pagan lord. Play the sound file backwards and hear for yourself.
Dominus
Site Admin

Post by Dominus »

Kruno: Looking at the title of U8 might give you an idea why he says that.
--
Read the documentation and the FAQ! There is no excuse for not reading them! RTFM
Read the Rules!
Bomb Bloke

Post by Bomb Bloke »

(The Guardian managed to take over the world known as Pagan).
Neutronium Dragon

> I found a sign.
>
> "TURN OFF HACKMOVER YOU CHEATER"

I seem to recall that there were one or two other easter eggs similar to this one hidden around SI, but after so long my memory of them has faded...

Neutronium Dragon
Dominus
Site Admin

Post by Dominus »

the backpacks with all quest items near the end of SI are only reachable via hackmover.
--
Read the Rules!
terok00001

Post by terok00001 »

what ever happened to earth? the guardian said he would conquer earth since he cant have britannia.
Bomb Bloke

Post by Bomb Bloke »

Yeah, well, Origin changed their mind. ;)
the backpacks with all quest items near the end of SI are only reachable via hackmover.
Don't suppose there's a soul cage scroll in there anywhere?

*looks hopeful*
artaxerxes
Site Admin

Post by artaxerxes »

GRandma wrote:
>
> what ever happened to earth? the guardian said he would
> conquer earth since he cant have britannia.

I think he succeeded, don't you?

Artaxerxes
Tony_69

Post by Tony_69 »

um there is a solution to all the key problems and im suprised no 1 has added it yet a KEYRING
Gradilla Dragon

Post by Gradilla Dragon »

There is the K key, which does the trick.
- Gradilla Dragon
terok00001

Post by terok00001 »

bah, keyrings, no such luck in BG. and i was wondering, there are two master keys on BG, one in the hut on the island, the other in a chest in a dungeon, where do i find the key that goes to the chest with the second master key?? ive been told before but i have a bad case of CRS
MkM

Post by MkM »

When I finished the Black Gate I still had one chest that didn't want to open. I found it from serpent spine but cannot say any more details. By the way, is there illusionar wall on the northern side of that mountain? I have some old memories about the secret wall but couldn't find it when last time played.
Sean's gem shop was another one I couldn't open (well, not the shop but that store)

> Finally, just north of Jhehom, there is a small island with a tiny piece of
> mountain on it.
> walk through the eastern wall of that room.

I believe there was chest and I had two different keys that fits there. One of the bigger keys and one small green. I remembered the keys had also some difference between them. (Or was it isle near Buccaneer's Den? I may be on wrong island as well.)
terok00001

Post by terok00001 »

the "bigger" key may have been one of the master keys, and the green one would be the key made for that chest, unless you meant something else
trevor_clim3

Post by trevor_clim3 »

I once found a small bag in the big, big forest, where the wisps are. i think it was in the western area.
i dont remember what in the bag was, i guess only much gold.

does anyone found this bag, which is hidden very good, too?
terok00001

Post by terok00001 »

im sure its not the only bag hidden in the forest, ive found a few other things in the depths of the forests, like paladins and fighters duking it out with mages, mages performing a human sacrifice in the middle of the woods with various magic items scrattered around it, a couple camping sites where fighters or pirates attack you (also usually having some good stuff), i also remember back before forge of virtue, in the middle of the ocean (under the Britannia label on the map) theres a pirate ship that attacks you, this game is full of little goodies... i love it!
SB-X

Post by SB-X »

Is the pirate ship only there with Forge of Virtue uninstalled? I've read about a ship near Trinsic/Serpent'sHold (though not one that attacks you), but havn't actually seen it.