something missing in exult/Nico

NOTICE: This forum is archived as read only.
Please use the Github Discussions at https://github.com/exult/exult/discussions
Forum rules
NOTICE: This forum is archived as read only.
Please use the Github Discussions at https://github.com/exult/exult/discussions
MkM

something missing in exult/Nico

Post by MkM »

There seems to be a lot of things missing in exult or have I too old version of Ultima 7 the Black Gate?

In exult there was no stealing (Nice weather today) Nicodemus, Kreg and Gremlins doesn't steal from me. I have waited and waited, but nothing had happened. Now it isn't anymore riskable visiting Nicodemus. He only keeps dancing around with firedoom staff. I was remembering he used to dance without it in original and sometimes walked outside (after doors opened)
and.. Did he actually had Firedoom staff in the original, maybe he had.
But
Horance shouldn't have two of them. When you got one he still owns another. Do we blame exult or what?
Bomb Bloke

Re: something missing in exult/Nico

Post by Bomb Bloke »

Many NPCs carry weapons, but don't arm them. In Exult, they do. I believe this is some sort of bug in Exult that puts items in the wrong hands. Some NPCs who SHOULD have weapons equiped carry them in their shield hands under Exult.

As for Nicodemus and co stealing... What?! (O o)

Yes, I believe Nicodemus always had the Firedoom staff. As for Horance, I doubt he drops his, rather, the game just creates a new one and dumps it in front of him. Hence, he never loses his own.
---------------------------------------------------------------------
You're just jealous 'cause the voices only talk to me. :P
SB-X

Post by SB-X »

No, stealing is not implemented in Exult.
Bomb Bloke

Post by Bomb Bloke »

Erm, I don't believe I ever had items removed from my inventory in the original. <:|

Though I generally carry a lot at any given time, so I guess I might not have noticed. ;)

Did NPCs ever take plot items?
MkM

Post by MkM »

Well.. I remember ship deeds and other not important items but I can't remember about plot items.
By the way "Good day" was also other stealing-replic ..wasn't it?
MV

Post by MV »

Erm, I don't believe I ever had items removed from my inventory in the original. <:|

Though I generally carry a lot at any given time, so I guess I might not have noticed. ;)

Did NPCs ever take plot items?
They sure did used to steal in the original.

I remember once I knew I had rydom's wand, but I couldn't find it in my backpack.

At the time I didn't know I could be pick pocketed.

But somehow I finally figured out it was nicodemus that stole when the ether was still broken. I actually killed him and found the wand on his remains.

And yes, nicodemus does have a firedoom staff. I recall that sometimes he'd stand there and keep equip/un-equipping it.
Bomb Bloke

Post by Bomb Bloke »

Ah... Pcikpockets, eh?

So is that going into Exult, or is it considered a pain in the ass?
cyberfugue

Post by cyberfugue »

The dude in Empath Abbey who asks you for the invisibility potion steals something random out of your backpack in the original U7. Once you kill him, it is on his body. I always thought that was kind of a cool addition. It keeps you on your toes.
SB-X

Post by SB-X »

You can tell someone is stealing because they will walk straight to you, stop and say something like "Nice weather." or "How are you?", and then walk away. And they keep doing it as long as you stay there. In Exult they just stand still. (last time I checked)
MkM

Post by MkM »

Guy in Empath Abbey was Kreg but that was one of his fake-names. I first found out about stealing with this guy and soon after Nicodemus. I also liked this addition. Gremlins were kind of funny when they said "Nice weather today"
By the way, does Ultima 6 have thieves? I remember Ultima 5 had.
drcode
Site Admin

Post by drcode »

I may take a look at implementing this in the next few days. I'll have to play around with the original U7, first, to get an idea of what's supposed to happen.
terok00001

Post by terok00001 »

THAT explains why i constantly lost ship deeds back in the old days of U7 BG!!! i wasnt going insane after all!!!!!!! thats good to know.. annoying.. but it explains alot
Neutronium Dragon

Post by Neutronium Dragon »

I'm not sure that it'd be such a good idea to re-implement something like that. It could cause a real problem if you end up with a plot-critical character stealing a plot-critical item from you.

Now, if they can *only* steal gold, it might not be quite so bad. On the other hand, it'd still be a good idea in that case to have some way to catch them in the act and/or get your money back. (NPCs who can steal with impunity aren't that much fun...)

Neutronium Dragon
drcode
Site Admin

Post by drcode »

Not sure if the original took deeds, but Exult's thieves (like Kreg) will only take gold. I'm not sure about Nicodemus. He doesn't have the 'thief' schedule, so maybe it's his usecode that causes him to steal.

I also am not sure about Gremlins. In earlier Ultimas, they stole food, but I can't remember if they did so in U7.
Bomb Bloke

Post by Bomb Bloke »

I often saw the gremlins commenting on the weather in Moonglow... I wondered about that.

Shouldn't just be gold stolen, food too, of course!

I would be more annoyed at losing the gold, myself...
Dominus
Site Admin

Post by Dominus »

I think the thieves stole more than just gold. I dimly remember having stuff like the pocketwatch stolen. But I'd be content with just gold and food. I *think* gremlins stole food.
--
Read the documentation and the FAQ! There is no excuse for not reading them! RTFM
Read the Rules!
We do not support Piracy/Abandonware/Warez!
MV

Post by MV »

Humans stole whatever at random. At least nicodemus did anyway while he was in stupid mode.

Gremlins stole only food, which sometimes became counter productive as I used to kill gremlins for the food they dropped, and sometimes they'd steal/eat more than what I got back from them.
SB-X

Post by SB-X »

MkM:
> By the way, does Ultima 6 have thieves? I remember Ultima 5 had.

No, not like U7 does. Gremlins can steal from you. There is a Thief activity but I think it is set on NPCs to make them yell "Stop thief!" and attack you. Otherwise it was unused.

DrCode:
> I'm not sure about Nicodemus. He doesn't have the 'thief' schedule, so maybe it's his usecode that causes him to steal.

Were you looking at the wrong NPC? :) Here is Nicodemus:
12AM Sleep
06AM Dance
12PM Thief
06PM Patrol
09PM Hound
terok00001

Post by terok00001 »

i never understood why they turned into food when they died, nor did i realize the food could have come from me!! wow i learn something new once again
SB-X

Post by SB-X »

Oh, I forgot. Their schedules change after you destroy the generator.
drcode
Site Admin

Post by drcode »

SB-X: Guess I visited him at the wrong time of day.

As for stealing food: I teleported to Kreg at the start, playing the original. He took all my gold, but didn't take the food. Maybe there's a flag on items we don't know about. I'll play around with it some more tonight, picking up food from elsewhere.

Having food stolen seems reasonable. I wouldn't want random items stolen, since it could ruin the plot.
Colourless
Site Admin

Post by Colourless »

Oh, I forgot. Their schedules change after you destroy the generator.
Black Gate did not support changing schedule mid game.
Dragon-Dreams

Post by Dragon-Dreams »

MkM - Hailz to Antaeus! I thought I was the only Ultima fan who liked Antaeus. Ah, excellent.
That you set above cold and irreverent thrones."