Hack Mover - Different?

NOTICE: This forum is archived as read only.
Please use the Github Discussions at https://github.com/exult/exult/discussions
Forum rules
NOTICE: This forum is archived as read only.
Please use the Github Discussions at https://github.com/exult/exult/discussions
BH4

Hack Mover - Different?

Post by BH4 »

I was comparing the Hack Mover ability from the original's and Exults, and I noticed that Exult's is actually more limiting than the originals.

In Exult, you can't hack move things that you can't reach. I mean.. Like.. Hack Mover in Exult, just basically makes the Avatar Super-Strong. He still is a bit confined by the laws of physics and such. He can't alter things he can't reach, he can't move pieces of the terrain, (Aside from certain walls.) ... Yeah.

In the original, you could do almost anything aside from moving chunks. It was pretty darn cool. :-P

... What's the deal? :-/ I mean, it's certainly nothing major, .. but.. it just feels limiting.
Dominus
Site Admin

Re: Hack Mover - Different?

Post by Dominus »

strange, I'm pretty sure you can move things the avatar can't reach. Right away, I could move trees, walls, flag pols, roof-parts, NPCs even a couple of screens away.
Theonly thing he doesn't move is chunks and the first couple of "texturizing" shapes of chunks (earth, grass). And those don't really make sense anyway (and I'm not even sure you could do that with the original).
We are viewing the hackmover just as that: a hack mover, quick and dirty. For advanced map-editing we have the map editing mode with Exult Studio.
--
Read the documentation and the FAQ! There is no excuse for not reading them! RTFM
Read the Rules!
We do not support Piracy/Abandonware/Warez!
Bomb Bloke

Post by Bomb Bloke »

You couldn't move chunks in the original.

I only found normal moving to be a little more limiting then in the original, however, the extra freedom only allowed exploitation so that's probably a good thing.
---------------------------------------------------------------------
You're just jealous 'cause the voices only talk to me. :P
BH4

Post by BH4 »

The "exploitation" also allowed you to build houses to some degree. :-/
Daemongar

Post by Daemongar »

I think it's a moot point though - you can use Exult Studio to build houses and add whatever you need - and it's a lot stronger than hack mover with the ability to create eggs and whatnot. After 10 minutes of farting around, I successfully joined all the major land masses of Serpent Isle and played "Hail Britannia" everytime I crossed a landmass - and I am not a programmer.

But for in game "let's get this dang door out of my way, I want that hoe!" purposes, I can see how hackmover would come in handy, and any changes would cause problems...
Gradilla Dragon

Post by Gradilla Dragon »

Heh, drag the door away? You can drag yourself inside with Hack Mover!!

Something I miss from the original Hack Mover is the ability to put things inside a container even if they don't fit. That way you can overload your backpack :P
- Gradilla Dragon