Why is development so slow...

NOTICE: This forum is archived as read only.
Please use the Github Discussions at https://github.com/exult/exult/discussions
Forum rules
NOTICE: This forum is archived as read only.
Please use the Github Discussions at https://github.com/exult/exult/discussions
Da Shizznit

Why is development so slow...

Post by Da Shizznit »

and where are the games that could be built from scratch with Exult Studio???

Hell, I would pay for these things...

gimme-gimme-gimme

Shizz
MeddlingMonk

Re: Why is development so slow...

Post by MeddlingMonk »

What a class act.
nadir
Site Admin

Post by nadir »

Pay us then ;)

That might speed thing up

Tristan
Dominus
Site Admin

Post by Dominus »

http://exult.info/faq.php#exult_donation
We might have to rethink this then :)

Though for money I would be willing to play through BG/SI with current CVS AND for extra money with the fixes patches by Marzo :)
Or actually the other way round, I'd probably play first with the fixes and then the boring original version :)
--
Read the documentation and the FAQ! There is no excuse for not reading them! RTFM
Read the Rules!
We do not support Piracy/Abandonware/Warez!
drcode
Site Admin

Post by drcode »

I'd say development is slow because there's not much to do. You can play BG and SI with few problems, and that's what we worked so hard for in the earlier days.

Now we developers are semi-retired, spending our days on the beach sipping pina coladas, signing autographs for the pretty young ladies who recognize us. Sorry, but it doesn't leave much time for coding.:-)
teamster1975

Post by teamster1975 »

Actually it's scary, I remember when I first found Exult back in 1999 (I think) when it was still the map viewer! I used to check the website religiously for updates!
Well done and thank you team :-)
Darkstar

Post by Darkstar »

Heh, I recently found a very old snapshot of exult on one of my archive CDs... I think it was one of the first releases. Couldn't compile it, though. Maybe I'll try again this weekend, just for the nostalgia :)

Oh, and here's a little bit of trivia: Does anyone remember what the "Guardian Engine" was, and how its development was connected to the development of Exult?
Andrea B Previtera

Post by Andrea B Previtera »

Not at all! What was that?
MeddlingMonk

Post by MeddlingMonk »

I remember the Guardian Engine. Not aware of any connection to Exult although they both seemed to start at about the same time. There had been only one guy working on Guardian if I remember right.
Petrell

Post by Petrell »

Well, new snap shots are released rather regularly mostly by Marzo and he just did some major updates to code as seen in http://exult.info/snapshots/Changelog. Other people touch the code on occasion as well. In order to speed up development project would need more coders that would both stick around and have free time to do the coding.

Same problem affects Total conversions made with Exult studio as most of them are run by single individual and not by teams. TC’s also tend to require lot of original or modified art. Even if the person doing the TC just reuses available are and code/scripts, world building in it self is no simple task. One way to help with this would be for those who drop their projects to release what they've made for other projects to use. Of cource another way would be to get more people involved with Exult modding and helping the TC's. Also custom art and code repository (with CC, GPL or PD licenced art and code) could also be build but that would require lot more people involved with modding.

Post by Petrell »

btw, how do you get links to show up properly in this forum?
Site Admin

Post by Dominus »

see the "read first" thread of the forum. I'll correct your post later when my back is not killing me anymore.
--
Read the documentation and the FAQ! There is no excuse for not reading them! RTFM
Read the Rules!
We do not support Piracy/Abandonware/Warez!
marzo
Site Admin

Post by marzo »

Technically, I don't release any snapshots; that is the work of Kirben. All I do is regularly create new and interesting bugs :-)
------
Marzo Sette Torres Junior
aka Geometrodynamic Dragon
[url=http://www.catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-questions.html]How To Ask Questions The Smart Way[/url]
Petrell

Post by Petrell »

It's not a bug, it's a feature! ;-)

Oh and thanks Dominus :)