Debian package for the CVS snapshot

NOTICE: This forum is archived as read only.
Please use the Github Discussions at https://github.com/exult/exult/discussions
Forum rules
NOTICE: This forum is archived as read only.
Please use the Github Discussions at https://github.com/exult/exult/discussions
Mr Bungle

Debian package for the CVS snapshot

Post by Mr Bungle »

Hi. I'm a new Kubuntu (www.kubuntu.org) Linux user and I can't compile the CVS snapshot, I have errors already in autoconf.sh. I would be really grateful if somebody made a .deb package for that. Thanks in advance!

Please ;)
Mr Bungle

Re: Debian package for the CVS snapshot

Post by Mr Bungle »

I re-installed kde-libs and ubuntu base (300mb total) to get this to work because of broken dependencies but I still get errors so I would really be happy to get a .deb package...
nadir
Site Admin

Post by nadir »

I build and run on Ubuntu (without a K but it doesn't make a difference).
Tell me what errors you get.

Tristan
zos

Post by zos »

If the exult team would put a package in the CVS I would be happy to make a debian package for exult 1.2. It would be a fun learning experience to boot. As long as everyone's ok with exult installing by default to /usr/local. Also, I'm not all that intimate with optimizations and GCC, but if anyone has any suggestions on what processor to compile for, I'd be appreciative. For example won't pentium optimized code at least be a lot faster on a P4 or Athlon than 386 or 486 optimized code? Since exult would likely not run all that great on a Pentium 1, can I assume that a Pentium would be the bare minimal level of optimization?
SB-X

Post by SB-X »

Since exult would likely not run all that great on a Pentium 1, can I assume that a Pentium would be the bare minimal level of optimization?
When I last played it on a AMD K6 200MHz it ran. Not well, but turn off scaling, use the new party formation (is that an option), and fm-synth music conversion (or disable music) and it is playable.
SB-X

Post by SB-X »

I meant use the FMSynth driver.
Mr Bungle

Post by Mr Bungle »

There is a Debian package for 1.2. I used it, I meant 1.4.

As for errors: I get unmet dependencies when I want to install sdl-dev package and when I wanted to correct them it said that I have to delete 300mb in order to delete the wrong libogg or somethings (connected with ogg). There's no use in pasting the code here - it just won't build with my packages.
wjp
Site Admin

Post by wjp »

I seriously doubt it would be impossible to install the sdl development package. Are you sure you're not trying to install a package for a different distro or something?
zosX

Post by zosX »

Sounds like you got some serious library issues.

Anyways, It would be pretty nifty to have a .deb for Exult and given how many people I've helped compile out Exult on debian, it would save me some time.

I guess I've decided on some pentium 1 optimizations and I should have a working deb based on Debian testing sometime later on this week. Until then.
Mr Bungle

Post by Mr Bungle »

Thank you!!! :D
Mr Bungle

Post by Mr Bungle »

Hm...hello?
SB-X

Post by SB-X »

What?
zosX

Post by zosX »

Well, I'll give you an update. It has been a busy week for me and I've gotten the source to compile with 586 (pentium) optimizations. but I haven't been able to make it into a package yet as I have simply not had the time. I thought about making an MMX optimized version, but not everyone has MMX, considering that it is feasible that someone could try to run Exult on say a K6-2 or a K6-3D, which lack MMX. In fact AMD didn't start adding MMX support until I believe the Duron, which was much later. (correct me if I am wrong)

Anyways I've gotten that far. I tried using debuild and found that by default it wanted to create a package for Exult 0.98rc1 which is not correct and to top it off it destroyed my carefully optimized source package. After a few environmental flags I had it compiled again with the correct optimizations, but I'm currently looking at other debian building type tools as debuild is more for working with direct debianized packages.

I noticed that Exult has a debian section in its source and I found it rather odd. Ohhhhhhhhhhhh. Looking at it now it includes the stuff debuild needs to make a package with. All right. I think I can figure this part out. If I were to update the debian section to make packages with debuild, would someone kindly add them to the source tree for 1.2 so that it is at least updated. Also contrary to debian standards, I will be making this package to install to /usr/local for now, since it is non-official.

I will be getting in contact with the debian maintainer for the exult package as well. Unfortunately debian testing is in a frozen period so I don't think I will be able to get Exult 1.2 into debian testing, but I could get it into the unstable repositories for now, which sooner or later, it will filter down to testing, but probably not until after the freeze thaws out and we have a new debian stable.

Anyways, I would apologize for taking so long, but this is volunteer work damnit and I can assure you that I'd love to see a debian package out there just as much as you and if it makes you feel any better I'll be testing it out with Ubuntu to see how it works with non-debian debian based distros.

Should be a few more days as time allows.
caotic

Post by caotic »

Am I missing something? Exult 1.2 has been in Debian Testing for ages:

http://packages.debian.org/testing/games/exult

Exult Studio is there too:

http://packages.debian.org/testing/games/exult-studio

Add section 'contrib' in your sources.conf to be able to install them through apt-get.
zosX

Post by zosX »

Hah, I did indeed forget to enable contrib.

Well you just saved me a bunch of trouble. There you go. Exult1.2. Thankfully I haven't wasted more than a few hours on this project. And thanks to you Thomas for pointing this out!
Gunnar

Post by Gunnar »

I thought 1.2 and the snapshot (1.4) aren't the same thing. Mr Bungle is asking for a package of the cvs release.
caotic

Post by caotic »

You are right, Exult 1.2 and the snapshot are different. But my reply was aimed at zosX, who volunteered to make a debian package for 1.2. This Version already is in debian/testing.

I don't know, what error Mr Bunge got whe trying to compile the snapshot, but if it was due to missing headerfiles, 'apt-get build-dep exult' might help.