New Codex Shrine

NOTICE: This forum is archived as read only.
Please use the Github Discussions at https://github.com/exult/exult/discussions
Forum rules
NOTICE: This forum is archived as read only.
Please use the Github Discussions at https://github.com/exult/exult/discussions
Gruck

Re: New Codex Shrine

Post by Gruck »

By the way this is really cool work, thanks!
drcode
Site Admin

Post by drcode »

I've been thinking about playing BG again. It's going to be fun having all these improvements.
marzo
Site Admin

Post by marzo »

Well, I still haven't implemented the Codex itself, nor meditating at shrines.

And another thing I have been working on is a NPC spellcasting system. I am still to implement NPCs learning spells (they all know all spells for now), but they need to carry their own reagents and have their own "mana". The plan is to restore Mariah as a party member after the tetrahedron is destroyed (as well as having Jaana be able to cast spells again after that). One thing that would really help is if Exult saved NPCs mana, but I have found a way around that :-)
------
Marzo Sette Torres Junior
aka Geometrodynamic Dragon
[url=http://www.catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-questions.html]How To Ask Questions The Smart Way[/url]
Achile

Post by Achile »

Where is your files Marzo
Achile

Post by Achile »

BTW, If meditating to codex working, maybe the 8 other shrines should be useful
marzo
Site Admin

Post by marzo »

This mod isn't available yet, as it is not yet ready. And I do plan on having meditation on the *other* shrines, yes.
------
[url=http://www.catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-questions.html]How To Ask Questions The Smart Way[/url]
Crysta the Elf

Post by Crysta the Elf »

hope your codex looks good :)
Crysta the Elf

Post by Crysta the Elf »

er.. that sounded bad.. sorry.. you probably know what i meant tho.. lol..

uh.. and any plans to add in Trellek? :P
marzo
Site Admin

Post by marzo »

The problem about the Codex is that I don't have a clue yet about *what* it would say. Any takers?

As for how it looks -- how is this for the cover:
------
Achile

Post by Achile »

Not bad, not bad at all.
Dominus
Site Admin

Post by Dominus »

When you view the codex, Exult should write a savegame, exit while starting nuvie and when you are done playing through u6, nuvie should exit, while starting exult with that savegame :)
And the Avatar should say something like "wow! what a ride!" :)
Seriously, I don't remember much of U6, but don't you need to place the lenses (you used on FoV) to view it and the probably something should pop up like it did in u6 (but I don't remember anymore...).
--
Read the documentation and the FAQ! There is no excuse for not reading them! RTFM
Read the Rules!
We do not support Piracy/Abandonware/Warez!
artaxerxes
Site Admin

Post by artaxerxes »

the codex contains the right information needed at the present time. A bit like the futurian energy ball in Ultima Underworld II.

So maybe some clue as to what to do next...

Artaxerxes
marzo
Site Admin

Post by marzo »

I have already written the usecode for using the lenses. You have to place the place the Britannian lens about 2/3rd of the distance between the Flame of Infinity and the altar and rotate it appropriatelly (I added usecode to rotate it), then place the Gargoyle lens 2/3rd of the way from the Flame of Singularity and the altar and rotate it. Then the Codex will appear. Well, it will after I've finished the graphics and finish writing the function to do so, anyway.
------
Crysta the Elf

Post by Crysta the Elf »

well.. if you want my opinion, it should display that large cover like the guardian/serpent faces in SI with a one-line vague clue as to what you should do next beneath it... like.. for when you have to see penumbra it says "The sleeping one holds the key." and such... it should be pretty easy to pick one specific series of events to be defined by the codex as "the" path through the game, then change what hint is displayed in conjunction with how far youve gotten... maybe you should have to consult all 8 shrines and the codex before you can actually destroy the black gate? hrm... confusing...
Dominus
Site Admin

Post by Dominus »

yeah or just the general hint to destroy some "gate of darkness" or something like that.
--
Read the documentation and the FAQ! There is no excuse for not reading them! RTFM
Read the Rules!
Crysta the Elf

Post by Crysta the Elf »

or.. maybe

after you have the shapes and rudyom's wand, you have to consult the codex on their use before you can enter the fellowship dungeon?
drcode
Site Admin

Post by drcode »

Dominus: I like the idea of one game starting another, which is probably only possible with opend-source projects. How about if you can use the Kilrathi ship in Brownie's field, and it launches you into the open-source version of Privateer, where Britania is one of the planets?:-)
yhevhe

Post by yhevhe »

Sorry to get offtopic here, but it seems everybody is starting to posts their plot ideas here :P

I was thinking in the orrery thingy you get at the Observatorium. Does that thing works at all? It's supposed to show you how's the alignment going for the gate to work. Maybe making it to work... This way you'd have to finish the plot in a certain time (as far as I know you can play as long as you wish and then destroy the gate when you feel so)

That, of course, will not be welcomed by those who enjoy decorating houses and such =) But anyway, doesn't the Avatar remains for some time in Britannia after that? You'll have enough time to bake and weave.
SB-X

Post by SB-X »

Don't change the game, or add any requirements. But, yeah, the codex can give basic clues. Use the same clues (rewritten) and flags that the Gypsy checks. I always thought the gypsy was ripping you off for money, so this gives you an alternative.

I thought the orrery viewer was working now. Anyway, Ultima has never been a game with real time limits, and I thought you go to Serpent Isle right after destroying the black gate.
Dominus
Site Admin

Post by Dominus »

I thought you go to Serpent Isle right after destroying the black gate
nope, you first have to play through Ultima Underworld II. Celebrating the victory over the Guardian, Castle Britannia is enveloped in Black stone (or whatever). In the game you also find the black rock serpent you bring to SI.
--
Read the Rules!
SB-X

Post by SB-X »

Hehe, I never played UW2. What caused the imbalance?
Dominus
Site Admin

Post by Dominus »

The guardian of course, with some help of an imp down in the deep sewers below the castle...
--
Read the Rules!
Tristan de Inés

Post by Tristan de Inés »

There's always the option of having the Codex display the number "42"
in big letters.
marzo
Site Admin

Post by marzo »

There's always the option of having the Codex display the number "42" in big letters.
Hehe, I like that :-)

But more seriously, here is an action screenshot of the Codex:

What do you say? The initial message is this:

"Before you stands an image of the Codex of Ultimate Wisdom, brought forth from the Void by the combined actions of the Britannian and Gargoyle lenses. It opens to reveal its message."

After that, the Codex will give its piece.
------
Crysta the Elf

Post by Crysta the Elf »

interesting... tho it seems it might be better if you shrink your book graphic and make some form of face/portrait instead..maybe even something different, like a face thats an open book on a pedestal with a radiating light behind it
marzo
Site Admin

Post by marzo »

like a face thats an open book on a pedestal with a radiating light behind it
I like this idea; I will be working on it. Right now, I implemented it as a rather large face, as can be seen ;-)
------
Dominus
Site Admin

Post by Dominus »

damn, this looks good
--
Read the Rules!
artaxerxes
Site Admin

Post by artaxerxes »

Marzo Sette Torres Junior wrote:
>
>
> "Before you stands an image of the Codex of Ultimate Wisdom,
> brought forth from the Void by the combined actions of the
> Britannian and Gargoyle lenses. It opens to reveal its
> message."
>
> After that, the Codex will give its piece.

Not to sounds annoying, but the intro text is too long if you get it every single time you open the book. The Met flag would be perfect here, so that the second time you open the book, you directly get to business, instead of clicking 3 or 4 times and risking missing the information you're after.

Amazing work I must add.

Artaxerxes
marzo
Site Admin

Post by marzo »

I think I'll substitute a static variable for the met flag; since the Codex isn't an NPC nor an item itself, it would be kind of hard otherwise...

For the "met" text, how does this sound:

"Once again you see the Codex of Ultimate Wisdom."

Then the Codex gives its piece.
------
drcode
Site Admin

Post by drcode »

Sounds great. This is looking really cool.
Crowley

Post by Crowley »

How about making it look like in the ending of U6? A 'hole' in air which shows the Codex floating in the Ethereal Void? Probably appearing just behind the altar with the scroll on it.