Exult PSP

NOTICE: This forum is archived as read only.
Please use the Github Discussions at https://github.com/exult/exult/discussions
Forum rules
NOTICE: This forum is archived as read only.
Please use the Github Discussions at https://github.com/exult/exult/discussions
Jeff Logan

Exult PSP

Post by Jeff Logan »

It would be awesome to see a PSP port.
SB-X

Re: Exult PSP

Post by SB-X »

Truly. How long will it take you to port it for us? :D
Jeff Logan

Post by Jeff Logan »

If only i knew how.
drcode
Site Admin

Post by drcode »

Wouldn't you need a licensed developers kit? It might also be a challenge, as the PSP only has 32Mb of RAM, and Exult's kind of a memory-hog. Also, has SDL been ported to the PSP?

Actually, I think this would be a cool project. Maybe you should suggest this to EA.
Jeff Logan

Post by Jeff Logan »

i know where a ,what i think is a, leaked dev kit is if anyone is seriously interested. There's also a beta devkit over at www.pspupdates.com
Andrea B Previtera

Post by Andrea B Previtera »

Bah. I think a PSP port for something like exult and, in the detail Ultima 7, would be very forced. A port just for the sake of watching it run on yet-another-new-platform.

U7 is an extremely slow paced game, which also needs some "atmosphere" to be played. Not to mention keys, a comfortable pointing device, etc. Then, think of details like those tiny keys hiding under a bucket, or that little lever or button. Now think of such details on the PSP screen. I can't see any reason to port U7 to the psp.
Dominus
Site Admin

Post by Dominus »

Not to mention that a leaked dev kit is not something that should be used for Exult.
--
Read the documentation and the FAQ! There is no excuse for not reading them! RTFM
Read the Rules!
We do not support Piracy/Abandonware/Warez!
Crysta the Elf

Post by Crysta the Elf »

what about a DS port then? :3

as for tiny items, make em highlited with red once you single-click em... like when map editing mode is on
eternal light

Post by eternal light »

problem is DS and PSP are way to expensive for a jobless teenager like me. lol no jobs available too.
Jeff Logan

Post by Jeff Logan »

The psp has a very comfortable pointing device. The analog pad works pretty well as a pointing device and there are eight buttons which is more than "i" use in exult. The digital pad could move the avatar while the analog pad could emulate the mouse. What else do you need?
Jeff Logan

Post by Jeff Logan »

Btw there's a psp emu that can be used for developing purposes for those without a psp. A guy can dream can't he?
Chris Schumacher

Post by Chris Schumacher »

Actually the DS would be intersting. One screen could be your backpack (with a bar on the side indicating which party member's backpack you're looking into), and the other could be the regular gaming screen.
(of course, how would you drag stuff between screens?)
However, are BOTH of the screens touchscreens? Can't afford a DS at the moment, so I don't know...
Andrea B Previtera

Well Exult may be tweaked to work on a network of computers, so that each one may constantly monitor one of the characters. Computer A may display Iolo's data, his backpack, stats and so on. Computer B may show the avatar, and so on. Exult may be also ported to the Tamagotchi: [A] button to hand Dupre's a mug of ale, to ask "NAME?" to someone. Addictionally, it would be interesting to port Exult to the Ipod. Of course you won't see anything, but think of the crisp audio! Think of how the combat system may benefit from the scroll wheel!
Chris Schumacher

Post by Chris Schumacher »

Yes, Andrea, you're very clever. We get it.
Andrea B Previtera

Just trying to have a laugh. Don't take it so seriously. Now let's both take a deep breath and get back to plain, good old ultima 7 - which just like beautiful girls, looks better without any makeup! :)
SB-X

Post by SB-X »

While I'd like to see a PSP port of Exult, I'd rather see "The Avatar... As big as my hand."
SB-X

Post by SB-X »

That's courtesy of Mr. Previtera by the way.
Andrea B Previtera

So what? It's a computer connected to a TV screen. You know, monitors. They come in all sizes.
SB-X

Post by SB-X »

I know it's easy to do. I just thought it was cool.
Andrea B Previtera

Ah sorry I thought it was sarcastically related to me making fun of ports... and then going proud of such a thing ;) Pardon!
Skutarth

Post by Skutarth »

Even if you did prot Exult to PSP, how would you test it? There is no emulator yet, and there aren't any burnable UMD disks or UMD disk burners on the market. Unless you plan to start a game developing company, this will most likely never happen.
SB-X

Post by SB-X »

Andrea: Ahh no problem, sorry it wasn't clear. I thought it might sound that way after posting it while half-asleep. (and then the picture attribution looks a little sarcastic too)
It would have been better to say "Instead of playing Exult on a small screen, why not play it on a BIG screen!" *insert picture*
Then it's still a meaningless post but at least doesn't seem like a completely random OT post. :D

Skutarth: The OP said there is a PSP emulator in the SDK. But Dominus is right - the Exult team wouldn't want to get involved if it's a leaked SDK.
Crysta the Elf

Post by Crysta the Elf »

only the lower DS screen is a touchscreen.. :P
Jonas

Post by Jonas »

There`s an opensource devkit at http://ps2dev.org/
I would love seeing exult on the PSP :) My memory stick has enough space for all I could ever want. Right now I`m enjoying all the old snes classics on my PSP SNES emu :D
Eduardo!

Post by Eduardo! »

not meaning to bump an old thread (hi i'm new here omgkfcbbq)

referring to psp development, there's a very active homebrew scene, yes. i thought to check out Exult because recently somebody ported ScummVM to the psp. so its entirely possible to do a port of a dos/nix proggie. there's all sorts of emulators and such too.

as someone mentioned above though, the 24mb ram would be sorta a pain to work around i'd think.

fingers crossed over here though.

*goes back to playing sam and max on psp*