MT-32 SYSEX

NOTICE: This forum is archived as read only.
Please use the Github Discussions at https://github.com/exult/exult/discussions
Forum rules
NOTICE: This forum is archived as read only.
Please use the Github Discussions at https://github.com/exult/exult/discussions
animeloe

MT-32 SYSEX

Post by animeloe »

Is there a way to get the mt-32 sysex to work using exult? I have a genuine MT-32+SCC-1. It'd be nice if there was a way to get the commands sent via MPU-401 interface (though 1 out of 10000 may be able to take advantage of the sysex messages).
Colourless
Site Admin

Re: MT-32 SYSEX

Post by Colourless »

Yes. Use a Exult 1.4 Snapshot for Sysex support. Exult doesn't support MIDI SFX so it only has an effect on the music. If you set the correct Midi output device and set exult to the correct midi conversion type you will be laughing.

Oh and using an SCC-1 is unnecesary. It is really old and I don't recommend using such old hardware in a modern machine with a recent operating system. It would be better to connect the MT-32 to the MIDI port on a modern sound card or a USB MIDI IO module. I personally connect my MT-32 to the MIDI ports on my SB Audigy 2ZS.

-Colourless Dragon
Garrett

Post by Garrett »

This may be a stupid question, but don't the OGG tracks essentially make the genuine hardware unnecessary, or is it still as-such inferior?
Dominus
Site Admin

Post by Dominus »

Essentially yes, the tracks were recorded with a real MT-32 but some people complained about varying volume and that they want to use their real Roland device with it. Also with it you can easily balance the volume of sfx and the MT-32.
And with the Sysex programmed in Exult it is quite fun to look at the display :)
I *hope* that Colourless will look at the Roland sfx at some time, too :)
--
Read the documentation and the FAQ! There is no excuse for not reading them! RTFM
Read the Rules!
We do not support Piracy/Abandonware/Warez!
Garrett

Post by Garrett »

Ah, I see, the coolness factor. Sounds very interesting. The dailies' feature list just keeps on growing.

The only problem I have with the volume is during BG. If you turn up your speakers to get louder music the gump sounds become far too loud. Of course now OGG is becoming more and more accepted so I could edit the volume myself if I got around to it. And a good five months later I still haven't. Shows how little it bothers me. :)

The main reason to redo the sound effects would be to bring them up to par with the awe-inspiring music fidelity, but even so they're still more than good enough compared to the SoundBlaster ones. I downloaded the SB ones first because I have a SB card, forgetting the game isn't limited by DOS traditions any longer. Heh. :)
Dominus
Site Admin

Post by Dominus »

well, the mt32 sfx you can download are the correct ones as well. So that's why it would be cool to have native mt-32 support but as unnecessary as the music support :)
--
Read the documentation and the FAQ! There is no excuse for not reading them! RTFM
Read the Rules!
Colourless
Site Admin

Post by Colourless »

Actually, the OGGs from SI sound slightly different to the output from Exult. Best as I can tell, the OGGs are wrong. Not sure how they were recorded but I'm guessing it was done by playing midi files converted using XMI2MID outside of the game itself, which in this case wont reproduce everything correctly.
Wizardry Dragon

Post by Wizardry Dragon »

XMI2MID you say? Would this perchance make XMIDI files paltable to my MIDI sequencer? And if so, where do I get this?

---------
Peter M Dodge aka Wizardry Dragon
Lead Designer
Ultima VII: The Feudal Lands
Cheers, Wizardry Dragon
Lead Designer, Ultima VII: The Feudal Lands
www.thefeudallands.ca
animeloe

Post by animeloe »

heh.... this isn't even a modern mach. Modern machs don't even HAVE ISA 8-bit let alone 16-bit. The machine in question is a P466 (OC 300) w/ 512MB RAM. The sound effects are from the mt-32 (but requires the sysex patch to get the correct sound (else you get the funny noises). But yes, the scc-1 wouldn't even FIT in a modern machine. I'm asking because the balances from the prerecorded is wierd (coming from HAVING the real thing and PLAYING it in DOS) yes you NEED the scc-1 or "smart" mpu-401 to play from dos. Playing the old games in DOS is AMAZING (with a slowing program like moslo) when SB16+MPU-401 [mt-32/scc-1]
animeloe

Post by animeloe »

The reason I'm asking about the sysex stuff is for two reasons. 1. the SFX are NOT WAV based but MT-32, and 2. the correct sounds are "programmed" into the device. Is there a way to do what the program ORIGINALLY had -- music+sfx mt-32, voice soundcard.??
Dominus
Site Admin

Post by Dominus »

1. No 2. no
Only music can be played with the MT-32. SFX has to be wave based at the moment.
--
Read the Rules!
animeloe

Post by animeloe »

Too bad :| Oh well, got the soundpacks to "apease" my need :) I understand why you can't HAVE it like the original. You'd get some very strange noises coming out of the MIDI. (like when you reset the MT-32 AFTER the game started) *hehe*