(OT) RPG-like television

NOTICE: This forum is archived as read only.
Please use the Github Discussions at https://github.com/exult/exult/discussions
Forum rules
NOTICE: This forum is archived as read only.
Please use the Github Discussions at https://github.com/exult/exult/discussions
drcode
Site Admin

(OT) RPG-like television

Post by drcode »

Yes, definitely off-topic, but I wonder if any of you have watched the show "Legend of the Seeker"? It's the one show I can think of that has a very RPG-like quality, with the 'Seeker' having many of the Avatar qualities from U7, companions (some very attractive women:-)) with unique abilities, combat that looks straight out of a game, and a major quest each season with sub-quests in the episodes.
Dominus
Site Admin

Re: (OT) RPG-like television

Post by Dominus »

Since the book series this show was loosely based on was of interest to willem, fingolfin and me, I was happy when I heard of this show (only heard of it when itsl final second season was already running).
I don't know how I'd feel about it if I had not read the books. Having read them the series was a letdown for me and I stopped watching after the fourth episode. Monster/enemy of the week stuff and the effects were kind of funny ;)
But I liked the visuals ;)
--
Read the documentation and the FAQ! There is no excuse for not reading them! RTFM
Read the Rules!
We do not support Piracy/Abandonware/Warez!
TDI

Post by TDI »

Never heard of this show or the books. But I just watched the trailer and I am not convinced. The leading actor looks to sonnyboyish. The girls look to playboyish. The bad guys are interesting, but otherwise it seems too colorful and buffy-stylish to appeal to me.

I prefer actors to be more authentic rather than straight out of a magazine cover. But I guess almost all TV series have this problem, which is why I hardly watch any of them. And I like my medieval settings to be harsh and dirty, as in the excellent new Robin Hood film.
Dominus
Site Admin

Post by Dominus »

The books were called "the sword of truth" and the first book in the series was "wizard's first rule" written by Terry Goodkind (in German the books were called, surprisingly ;), das Schwert der Wahrheit).
I really enjoyed the first books, but the last few were a bit annoying and I only read them for closure...
--
Read the documentation and the FAQ! There is no excuse for not reading them! RTFM
Read the Rules!
We do not support Piracy/Abandonware/Warez!
VisElEchNon

Post by VisElEchNon »

Geh... read the first one, but I couldn't get into the series. Never watched the show but I've noticed the ads for it several times.
drcode
Site Admin

Post by drcode »

I admit the show is pretty cheesy. In particular, they're been over-using the ability to bring the dead back to life as a plot device. But it reminds me a lot of a typical RPG, even the fact that the towns all look the same (probably because they are:-)).
torgus dragon

Post by torgus dragon »

Which is why rpgs make bad movies generally imo.