Release PARTY! Today we finally got 1.4.9 rc1 out of the doo

NOTICE: This forum is archived as read only.
Please use the Github Discussions at https://github.com/exult/exult/discussions
Forum rules
NOTICE: This forum is archived as read only.
Please use the Github Discussions at https://github.com/exult/exult/discussions
Dominus
Site Admin

Release PARTY! Today we finally got 1.4.9 rc1 out of the doo

Post by Dominus »

It really took us long to get a new version out and it really needed to be released. People who read this forum already know the often repeated "don't use the last version, use the snapshot!"
So head over to our home page and read the good news and then head to our download page where you can grab the binary release for both Windows and OS X. The source is available as well!
Let us know what you think!
--
Read the documentation and the FAQ! There is no excuse for not reading them! RTFM
Read the Rules!
We do not support Piracy/Abandonware/Warez!
Gruck/Dungy

Re: Release PARTY! Today we finally got 1.4.9 rc1 out of the

Post by Gruck/Dungy »

I think you guys are awesome! This was long overdue, and I'm glad all the changes you've made over the last few years are now no longer going to be hidden in those scary looking snapshots that most people like to avoid! Great work!
monotremata

Post by monotremata »

Jeez Ive been running through my old SSI Gold Box games the last month or so I didnt even realize there were newer snapshots for download either hah.

Great work guys! Since its an RC I guess its time to start both games over and run through em (and this time remember to enable the mods for each one before I get halfway into em)...
Morbius Dragon
-==(UDIC)==-
Since 1992!
Malignant Manor
Site Admin

Post by Malignant Manor »

The release should have a portable Windows binary.

You might not want to use the Inno installer to do it. Maybe Kirben could archive (self expanding or not) the normal Exult files after compiling with -DPORTABLE_EXULT_WIN32.

AUTHORS.txt
bgdefaultkeys.txt
ChangeLog.txt
COPYING.txt
data
exult.cfg.example
Exult.exe
faq.html
FAQ.txt
images
NEWS.txt
README-SDL.txt
ReadMe.html
README.txt
README.win32.txt
SDL.dll
sidefaultkeys.txt

\data\exult.flx
\data\exultmsg.txt
\data\exult_bg.flx
\data\exult_si.flx

\images]back.gif
\images]docs01.png
\images]docs02.png
\images]docs03.png
\images]docs04.png
\images]docs05.png
\images]docs06.png
\images]exult_logo.gif

Post by GUest »

Fahnalleeeh
Dominus
Site Admin

Post by Dominus »

Problem with the portable version is that it is not tested. We don't know wether it works correctly with the paths.
Otherwise it is not a bad idea to have a portable release as well.
A patch for a command line option would be even nicer.
--
Read the documentation and the FAQ! There is no excuse for not reading them! RTFM
Read the Rules!
monotremata

Post by monotremata »

Ive got memory sticks galore over here if you need someone to test out a Windows portable build!

Ill just throw it on the same 4gb drive I use for DosBox back and forth on my Mac/PC.. :D
Morbius Dragon
-==(UDIC)==-
Since 1992!
Malignant Manor
Site Admin

My patch seems to work fine but moves some things around. I though it would probably have to wait until after a release. I haven't really touched anything for 6 months though except to update those files that were in the recycling bin. (I could even find a patch with a quick look.)

I stupidly didn't submit it because of the problems of using the same Inno installer to make a portable version of Exult and Exult Studio. (I had lots of changes, still thought that there was still saved data on the computer using it, and had a batch file was needed to be called to delete some of Innos data and even that could be messed up by multiple installs.)

If the patch does get accepted, I would suggest that Inno Setup Unpacker be used to extract the app from the installer to avoid possible data left behind by the Inno installer. Only selecting, install and documentation options from the installer. Then they can delete the
unins000.exe
unins000.dat

files. The 000 increases for each install so you could have unins001.exe in the directory.

As far as I know, everything works for portable it just does what the old Windows version used to do for the most part. I get all the correct output to the Exult folder and it reads the cfg file there. The Local AppData\Exult isn't written to or read with Exult or Exult Studio (and should work fine with UCXT). I'm pretty sure the temp (for GIMP plugin?) for Exult Studio was changed to an area it would need write access (patch?).
Malignant Manor
Site Admin

Oops
Only selecting, install and documentation options from the installer
add

may work fine as well

to the end.
Korneluk

Post by Korneluk »

If I upgrade to this new version of Exult, will my savegames still work? Also, will the work I've done in Exult Studio remain?
Dominus
Site Admin

Post by Dominus »

Savegames should work, though depending on the version you started those games a restart might benefit you.
Your Exult studio work should be safe BUT if you want to keep on working on that you CAN'T use the release. Exult Studio only works with Snapshots of Exult.
--
Read the Rules!
Korneluk

Post by Korneluk »

Is there a simple explanation on 'why Exult Studio only works with Exult snapshots?'
With something like the Savage Empire remake, we'll assume it gets completed, doesn't this mean it will be without whatever tweaks you've given Exult?
Surely there must be someway to bring all the work someone does on a mod in-line with Exults newest version without re-drawing the maps...
Dominus
Site Admin

Post by Dominus »

Your mods will work with the release at least the work you've done until the release time.
Exult Studio is still in development and things might change and if Exult and Exult Studio are not streamlined, meaning they support each other features, things will break and not work.
So an Exult release is static and will never be able to support newer features in Exult Studio thus we require both to be of the same "age".
That's the reason we disable Studio support in Exult releases.
Exult releases are for playing the game and mods.
For development of games and mods you need snapshots, at least until we decide to release Studio.
--
Read the Rules!
Korneluk

Post by Korneluk »

thanks Dominus. That makes sense. :)

....and by the way, thanks to all of you who keep working on Exult.
mattresses

Post by mattresses »

Aspect correction!! I'm not sure how long this has been in (it wasn't in the snapshot I downloaded a few months back), but this was more or less the only thing holding me to dosbox. Excellent work, guys.
Dominus
Site Admin

Post by Dominus »

:)
The graphics stuff (which also made aspect correction possible) was one of the major poimts that held a release back...
--
Read the Rules!
El Guesto

Post by El Guesto »

Can someone elaborate on what aspect correction does?
El Guesto

Post by El Guesto »

Does it have something to do with aspect ratio, like playing on a widescreen monitor and automatically getting the resolution in widescreen etc?
Roas

Post by Roas »

Just downloaded 1.4.9 rc1 2 days ago and I've noticed 2 things.

1) Movement is noticeably slower than it is with exult 1.2, at least in SI. The movement cursor doesn't seem to be reaching max length on the horizontal plane for some reason.

2) It randomly just exits the game. For example, shortly after entering Monitor for the first time, I started walking north towards Cantra and it just went to desktop. Earlier tonight it did the same thing at the gremlin ambush inside the Knighthood test. It also did it when I took a step towards the list field. There is no error message, no tweaked sound FX, nothing. It operates normally and then you're looking at the desktop.

Oh, one last thing. I tried using the Avatar Pack mod, and nada. It worked with the snapshots, but for some reason 1.4.9 isn't seeing it. I checked the paths in my cfg and all that, but nothing.

Just thought I'd give a heads up.
Oh, right. Windows XP, 1.4.9 rc1, Radeon 3850 HD, and a creative labs Audigy 2zs.
Dominus
Site Admin

Post by Dominus »

1. We noticed ourselves something is up. But thanks for reporting

2. Yep, it shouldn't do that. Is it reproduceable? Always the same or really random? What do stdout.txt and stderr.txt say? Can you copy paste what is written there after a crash? What are your audio settings?
If you can reproduce it, can you try with audio disabled?
Does it happen in windowed mode and/or fullscreen?

3. Avatar modpack, can you tell us where the mod is on your hard drive and what the paths are in your cfg?
--
Read the Rules!
Roas

Post by Roas »

Ok, interestingly enough, I don't HAVE an stdout.txt or stderr.txt!!!
It doesn't happen on the same screen, and the only way I can reproduce it is to simply play as normal. For example, shortly after my post I walked from Monitor to Sleeping Bull, exchanged a nugget for monetari, then a piece of jewelry for the same... went outside, opened my inventory to sort the coins..
Boom! Desktop.
It doesn't even happen after a reliable interval, either. I can play for an hour, I can play for a minute. As far as I can tell, it is totally random. I have noticed one thing, though. It ALWAYS happens right after I click on the screen.
Ie, when I opened my inventory, I just clicked the backpack and I was on the desktop. When I was going to the List Field, I stopped for a brief moment to let Shamino catch up, then clicked to start moving when suddenly desktop.

I don't play in fullscreen mode, so can't say if it happens there. I've tried resizing the screen in my video settings, but none of that makes a difference that I've seen.
Oh, right. I am using one mod currently, the SI FIXES, but I wasn't using it at first and the problem still occurred, so I don't think that's the problem.

Audio settings are:
Audio enabled, music options enabled, looping enabled, digital disabled, midi default, device GM, effects both, SF enabled, pack Sound Blaster, speech enabled.

I actually uninstalled the Avatar Pack since it wasn't working, but I'll reinstall it and let you know, thanks!
Roas

Post by Roas »

Bah, I'm an idiot and checked the wrong documents and settings.
Here are stderr and stdout:

stderr.txt
Warning: configuration file 'exult.cfg' is being ignored in favor of file '/exult.cfg'.
Error while listing files: The system cannot find the file specified.
Warning, trailing slash in path: "\"

stdout.txt
Exult version 1.4.9RC1
Built at: Oct 21 2010 20:28:01
Compile-time options: USE_FMOPL_MIDI, USE_MT32EMU_MIDI, HAVE_ZIP_SUPPORT
Compiler: gcc, version: 4.2.1-dw2 (mingw32-2)

Platform: Windows XP Service Pack 3 Version 5.1 Build 2600
Exult path settings:
Data : data
Digital music : data\music

Looking for 'blackgate' at 'd:\u7'... found game with identity 'FORGE'
Looking for 'serpentisle' at 'd:\si'... found game with identity 'SILVER SEED'
Looking for 'forgeofvirtue' at './forgeofvirtue'... but it wasn't there.
Looking for 'silverseed' at './silverseed'... but it wasn't there.
Black Gate : not found (\.)
Forge of Virtue : found
exult_bg.flx : found
Serpent Isle : not found (\.)
Silver Seed : found
exult_si.flx : found
Checking rendering support
Windowed 8 bpp ok 16 bpp ok 32 bpp ok
640x480 8 bpp ok 16 bpp ok 32 bpp ok
720x480 8 bpp ok 16 bpp ok 32 bpp ok
800x600 8 bpp ok 16 bpp ok 32 bpp ok
848x480 8 bpp ok 16 bpp ok 32 bpp ok
1024x768 8 bpp ok 16 bpp ok 32 bpp ok
1152x648 8 bpp ok 16 bpp ok 32 bpp ok
1152x864 8 bpp ok 16 bpp ok 32 bpp ok
1280x720 8 bpp ok 16 bpp ok 32 bpp ok
1280x768 8 bpp ok 16 bpp ok 32 bpp ok
1280x800 8 bpp ok 16 bpp ok 32 bpp ok
1280x960 8 bpp ok 16 bpp ok 32 bpp ok
1280x1024 8 bpp ok 16 bpp ok 32 bpp ok
1360x768 8 bpp ok 16 bpp ok 32 bpp ok
1440x900 8 bpp ok 16 bpp ok 32 bpp ok
1600x1200 8 bpp ok 16 bpp ok 32 bpp ok
Creating AudioMixer...
Audio opened using format: 22050 Hz 2 Channels
Timbers Precached: On play only
OGG Vorbis Digital Music: Disabled
Trying: `Windows'
5 Midi Devices Detected
Listing midi devices:
-1: Microsoft MIDI Mapper
0: SB Audigy 2 ZS Synth A [E800]
1: SB Audigy 2 ZS Synth B [E800]
2: SB Audigy 2 ZS MIDI IO [E800]
3: SB Audigy 2 ZS MIDI IO 2 [E800]
4: Microsoft GS Wavetable SW Synth
Using device -1: Microsoft MIDI Mapper
Success!
Midi Output: Enabled
Starting a SERPENT ISLE game
Game path settings:
Static : d:\si\static
Gamedat : C:\Documents and Settings\Joe\Local Settings\Application Data\Exult\serpentisle\mods\sifixes\gamedat
Savegame: C:\Documents and Settings\Joe\Local Settings\Application Data\Exult\serpentisle\mods\sifixes
Patch : d:\si\mods\sifixes\data

Opening digital SFX's file: "/jmsisfx.flx"
Resetting AudioMixer...
played intro
Gamedat identity SILVER SEED
Reading usecode file.
Loading /exult_si.flx...
Loading default keybindings
Aproach nsteps is 2.
Aproach nsteps is 0.

Cheats enabled.
Aproach nsteps is 1.
Aproach nsteps is 3.
Aproach nsteps is 0.
Aproach nsteps is 3.
Aproach nsteps is 1.
Aproach nsteps is 1.
Aproach nsteps is 2.
Aproach nsteps is 1.
Aproach nsteps is 0.
Aproach nsteps is 0.
Aproach nsteps is 0.
Aproach nsteps is 10.
Aproach nsteps is 10.
Aproach nsteps is 18.
Aproach nsteps is 8.
Aproach nsteps is 8.
Aproach nsteps is 17.
Aproach nsteps is 7.
Aproach nsteps is 16.
Aproach nsteps is 6.
Aproach nsteps is 16.
Aproach nsteps is 5.
Aproach nsteps is 4.
Destroying AudioMixer...
Destroying MidiDriver...
Roas

Post by Roas »

Ok, Avatar Pack is in D:\SI\Patch.

Here are the paths of my config file.

d:\u7

./quests_and_interactions

(default)

jmsfx.flx

d:\si

d:\si\mods

d:\si\patch

(default)

jmsisfx.flx
Dominus
Site Admin

Post by Dominus »

On your mods problem, it seems you are doing some stuff wrong, judging from your email and from the settings I see both here and in your mail.
First of all, make sure you are using the correct exult.cfg. Exult will no longer use exult.cfg in the folder you installed Exult in but uses C:\Documents and Settings\Joe\Local Settings\Application Data\Exult\exult.cfg (tailored to your case).
For BG you need to point at the patch folder in exult.cfg (I see you pointing at ./quests_and_interactions not at the patch folder). And make sure you follow the instructions of the avatar pack and copy the CONTENTS of the avatar pack's data folder to the patch folder - not the whole data folder itself.
Same for SI.
For the mod SI fixes you need to copy the contents of the avatar pack's data folder to the data folder of SI fixes. You wrote to me that there is no data folder for you, only a patch folder and you didn't get the SI fixes game menu <- that means something went wrong. Either you made a mistake when unzipping the SI fixes mod or you used some outdated thing...
--
Read the Rules!
Dominus
Site Admin

Post by Dominus »

as for your crashes, can you disable Audio in Exult and try again whether you get the crashes? Are your Audio drivers up to date?
--
Read the Rules!
Roas

Post by Roas »

Ok, let's see...
Ignore the above exult.cfg stuff; I totally wiped everything clean and reinstalled it fresh. More crashes, again totally random. In fact, once it crashed just as soon as I clicked on Start New Game!

I'll try it with audio disabled; I just updated my audio drivers a couple of days ago, but this sound card has given me trouble with updates in the past.

I can't really say much about SI Fixes.. before I uninstalled exult and started fresh, I had it installed and had the "with SI Fixes" on the main menu, but there was no Data directory for SI Fixes then, either. I'm grabbing the package directly from the 7 Towers website, is there a better place to download it from? All I can say is that every time I unzip it, it gives me the SI Fixes folder, and inside that the only other folder is /patch.

Anyhow, time to try again!
Roas

Post by Roas »

Well hooray! I went back and re-downloaded Avatar Pack and SI Fixes, and they worked! Maybe my last downloads were corrupted or something.

So I started 1.4.9 rc1 and disabled sound, started playing. I didn't run into any problems at first, but on the way to Fawn for the Varo leaves, it crashed again. I was simply walking across some grass. Again, no audio at all.

Here is my stdout.txt (much larger than before, too)

Exult version 1.4.9RC1
Built at: Oct 21 2010 20:28:01
Compile-time options: USE_FMOPL_MIDI, USE_MT32EMU_MIDI, HAVE_ZIP_SUPPORT
Compiler: gcc, version: 4.2.1-dw2 (mingw32-2)

Platform: Windows XP Service Pack 3 Version 5.1 Build 2600
Exult path settings:
Data : data
Digital music : data\music

Looking for 'blackgate' at 'd:\exult\u7'... found game with identity 'FORGE'
Looking for 'serpentisle' at 'd:\exult\si'... found game with identity 'SILVER SEED'
Looking for 'forgeofvirtue' at './forgeofvirtue'... but it wasn't there.
Looking for 'silverseed' at './silverseed'... but it wasn't there.
Black Gate : not found (\.)
Forge of Virtue : found
exult_bg.flx : found
Serpent Isle : not found (\.)
Silver Seed : found
exult_si.flx : found
Checking rendering support
Windowed 8 bpp ok 16 bpp ok 32 bpp ok
640x480 8 bpp ok 16 bpp ok 32 bpp ok
720x480 8 bpp ok 16 bpp ok 32 bpp ok
800x600 8 bpp ok 16 bpp ok 32 bpp ok
848x480 8 bpp ok 16 bpp ok 32 bpp ok
1024x768 8 bpp ok 16 bpp ok 32 bpp ok
1152x648 8 bpp ok 16 bpp ok 32 bpp ok
1152x864 8 bpp ok 16 bpp ok 32 bpp ok
1280x720 8 bpp ok 16 bpp ok 32 bpp ok
1280x768 8 bpp ok 16 bpp ok 32 bpp ok
1280x800 8 bpp ok 16 bpp ok 32 bpp ok
1280x960 8 bpp ok 16 bpp ok 32 bpp ok
1280x1024 8 bpp ok 16 bpp ok 32 bpp ok
1360x768 8 bpp ok 16 bpp ok 32 bpp ok
1440x900 8 bpp ok 16 bpp ok 32 bpp ok
1600x1200 8 bpp ok 16 bpp ok 32 bpp ok
Creating AudioMixer...
Audio opened using format: 22050 Hz 2 Channels
5 Midi Devices Detected
Listing midi devices:
Success!
Starting a BLACK GATE game
Game path settings:
Static : d:\exult\u7\static
Gamedat : C:\Documents and Settings\Joe\Local Settings\Application Data\Exult\blackgate\gamedat
Savegame: C:\Documents and Settings\Joe\Local Settings\Application Data\Exult\blackgate
Patch : d:\exult\u7\patch

5 Midi Devices Detected
Listing midi devices:
Success!
Opening digital SFX's file: "/jmsfx.flx"
Game path settings:
Static : d:\exult\si\static
Gamedat : C:\Documents and Settings\Joe\Local Settings\Application Data\Exult\serpentisle\mods\sifixes\gamedat
Savegame: C:\Documents and Settings\Joe\Local Settings\Application Data\Exult\serpentisle\mods\sifixes
Patch : d:\exult\si\mods\sifixes\data

played intro
Game path settings:
Static : d:\exult\si\static
Patch : d:\exult\si\mods\sifixes\data

played intro
Creating 'gamedat' files.
Reading usecode file.
Loading /exult_si.flx...
Loading default keybindings
NPC write

Cheats enabled.
(edit by Dominus: trimmed the log - unfortunately nothing to see besides the usual)

And here is my stderr.txt (couple extra lines)

Illegal egg itype: 0
Illegal egg itype: 0
Error while listing files: The system cannot find the file specified.
Dominus
Site Admin

Post by Dominus »

Hmm, I'm not sure but it seems you still have midi music enabled. Can you disable all Audio in Exult settings and then restart Exult? (since I wrote sound before, maybe you have only disabled sfx - but I'm not sure, since I'm no longer on Windows it could be that the log will always look like this)
Other than that I have no idea what is wrong.
Just one more shot in the dark, can you look into your gamedat folder and report if there are any really large files (C:\Documents and Settings\Joe\Local Settings\Application Data\Exult\serpentisle\mods\sifixes\gamedat). Large files is anything over a couple of kB (maybe 500kB upwards).
--
Read the Rules!
Roas

Post by Roas »

It was Audio I had disabled (the one at the top), not just SFX or music.

I checked the gamedat, and the largest file there was npc and that was only about 48 or 49kb.

It actually ran for quite a bit last night without crashing. I nabbed the amulet and started on Silver Seed, saving every few minutes just to be safe. But it didn't crash while I was playing, and that was for.. at least 2 hours.
Although, I did encounter one problem that I've never run into before.
When I went to the Fiend's lair, I got to the stairs going down (where the acid slugs all spawn), and when I tried to go down, I appeared in the new area for a split second, and then I was back with the acid slugs, and the teleport egg on the stairs would no longer function. Not sure what happened; I've never encountered that one before.

I'll try it again with the audio disabled to see what happens.
Roas

Post by Roas »

I'm able to consistently crash 1.4.9 now!

I loaded it up with Audio disabled and played around a bit (the teleport egg works again, yay!), and then exited out. Then I loaded it up with Audio enabled, played some more (in the same area), exited out after a bit.

So I suddenly had this thought... what if it's due to a specific thing? I noticed my stderr said something about an invalid egg, so I opened up the shapes browser and just started going up the list.
Shape 1035 crashes the game, every time.
I have no idea what that shape is, but the SECOND I go from either 1036 or 1034 to 1035... it drops me to desktop.

Just in case, I tried it both with and without audio disabled, and it crashes regardless. So apparently that shape is the cursed spawn of Mondain!
Not sure if this helps or not, though.
Malignant Manor
Site Admin

The teleport bug is reproducible and I have 4 saved games in a bug report where 3 sets of stairs don't work and 2 sets do. None of these have auto-reset when I think pretty much all other teleport eggs do (never extensively looked at eggs). For now, you need to walk far away so you can teleport again. All of these are in the reagent ring area.

1035 is naked blond female. I don't crash with this shape. I also couldn't get it to crash when changing with the skin, sex, and nude cheats.
Dominus
Site Admin

Post by Dominus »

oh, nice, 1035 crashes for me too.
This *could* be because of the Avatar pack... Let me try...
Edit: nope, not the Avatar pack (didn't have it installed for SI)

And thanks for trouble shooting this so much - helps a lot.
--
Read the Rules!
Dominus
Site Admin

Post by Dominus »

ok, we (wjp) hacked away the shape browser error (accessing invalid memory for shapes >=1024) and you can test this is in a new snapshot (look for snapshot dated 2010-11-22 (or even newer)).
But it is highly unlikely that this bug in the shape browser was actually the bug that crashes your game all the time.
Another trouble shooting question: Are you using new savegames, meaning games you started with Exult 1.4.9rc1? And is it with plain SI or with SIfixes?
--
Read the Rules!
Roas

Post by Roas »

Completely new game upon installing 1.4.9. I wiped EVERYTHING.
I figured I'd rather start over fresh as opposed to risk something carrying over.
As for plain, back when it first started crashing, I tried running it without any mods at all, and it continued to crash. So I went back to SIF, and I didn't notice any real change in crash frequency. But that's hard to track, since it is so random.

I played it for QUITE a bit last night, and it only crashed once.. which was in Fawn. I'm starting to wonder if a weather effect is doing it, because I've noticed the last few crashes were all during storms or near water.
I did the entire first part of Moonshade without a crash, though, all the way to getting my new spellbook.

And thank YOU for trying to figure this insidious crash out!
Shaed

Post by Shaed »

Hi guys just installd the new version of exult, 1.4.9 and everythings great, love the HQ graphics options u can choose that makes it look good,

just wondering a couple things, are u able to load saved games that were saved from previous exults, i couldnt find any info regarding that

also, do the hotkeys such as alt+4 etc still work, alt+4 used to drop the contents of watever it was pressed on im pretty sure like chests and people

tried this in both window mode and fullscreen, any ideas?

thanks, brad
Dominus
Site Admin

Post by Dominus »

Savegames can be loaded from previous versions, though we don't recommend to load 1.2 saves. The default location for savegames has changed so you need to move the old ones to the new location. New location is written in the documentation.

We do not have a cheat to drop npc items, that one was cheat in the original. We do have a pick pocket cheat. See the documentation
--
Read the Rules!
Namlesser

Post by Namlesser »

I have one problem that I haven't encountered in the previous versions. Sometimes, objects just suddenly disappear. For example, the puppet show thingy at Carroccio's vanished, taking some fences above with it. Well, I didn't care about it, so I just continued playing. Later at Serpent's Hold, some walls disappeared. Even later, EVERY object (but not walls) in Britain disappeared. It's quite interesting, tho, because they are still there: I tried moving the roof of Blue Boar inn with Hack Mover, and I could see the table; the moment I stepped in it was gone again.

Sorry for the messy post. I'm not too good at explaining things. Anyway, I don't really care too much about this bug of some sort, because I save very often (Some sort of obsession, really) but I'd like to get some kind of answer why this does happen.

Oh, and Exult rocks ;)
Leonardo Gimenez

Post by Leonardo Gimenez »

Same problem, objects disappear.
All objects disappear in britan castle , even the bridge. I must use magic to enter the castle.
Dominus
Site Admin

Post by Dominus »

That doesn't sound good.
Just for information, on what operating systems are you on?
--
Read the Rules!
Dominus
Site Admin

Post by Dominus »

I really can't reproduce this... Can you share some more information on your games? Are these new games, started with 1.4.9rc1 or are these old games you continued? Can you give us a savegame with this showing?
--
Read the Rules!
Malignant Manor
Site Admin

Did you guys crash while saving? I've never had any issues with loss of items otherwise.

There's a savegame on the tracker that seems like a superchunk lost 6 chunk rows of data.
Namlesser

Post by Namlesser »

I'm playing on Windows 7. Started new game with this version. I guess I could show a savegame to you, but... instructions on how to do it?
Zosite

Post by Zosite »

Ummmm... I remember that disappearing objects bug for it also happened to me playing the original game. After looking for either a fix or at least a "why" I came up to some explanations around the net; seems it's related with the number of objects (gold piles included) stored inside containers belonging to the player. Seems that when you're QUITE high on objects and, you know... coins... objects start disappearing here and there, including walls and other terrain features. And it goes worse or at least it went for me: after some time struggling to finish the game WITH the bug around the savegame file just became corrupted and I couldn't load it anymore...

Then again, it also happened on THE ORIGINAL game played on a 486 DX2/66 under DOS 6.22 back in the day. At least to some of us, badass item collectors.

On the other hand: I haven't tried it on Exult yet, for I've always been more interested in testing and bug fixing than on REAL abuse-playing.

Oh, btw, I also remember this usually happened with the corpses at Minoc sawmill. Sometimes they just keep disappearing in front of your very eyes as soon as you arrive there the first time; if they don't you could be sure they will remain there with no further problems.

Look here at "Bugs" section for the last issue: http://gigi.nullneuron.net/ultima/u7bg/u7fun.php#bugs

And here for some veiled reference to the main problem:
http://www.it-he.org/ultima7.htm (search for "disappearing walls")
-Zósite K.S. from Moonlightshadow-
Namlesser

Post by Namlesser »

Thanks! That explains a lot. My characters do have their backpacks full. Maybe I should drop a few things. Thanks again, I'll try it.
Zosite

Post by Zosite »

Ummm... it's not about the backpacks, for I almost ALWAYS go with them to the top. It's more about *those* barrels/chests/boat/secret-cavern-you-think-you're-the-only-one-to-know-which-keeps-your-secrets holding all your treasure and/or gem collection; all them "belong" to your character as long as you're using them no matter where they are.

Besides, take note that chances are your current game won't be fixed anyway. You should look for a savegame BEFORE hell broke loose and start decimating your stuff from there.
Namlesser

Post by Namlesser »

So what you are saying is that any full container thingy will cause the bug to happen? I mean, I do have a pack that is *full* of money. Pack that I left to the entrance of Destard. Should I put the gold in several packs, that would help huh?

And yes, I loaded a savegame where things hadn't disappeared.
Zosite

Post by Zosite »

Is not ANY *full* container thingy but MANY *full* container thingies. When it happened to me I had about 10 BARRELS'o'cash plus several chests of reagents, food, scrolls, ammo... hidden on a lonely island inside a cave with many invisible traps laying around (yes, I'm THAT insane). Not to mention my 7 backpacks.

I couldn't tell if any other distribution of your gold would help you there though. The safest way to go is having just what you need and some extras just in case; that's what I've been doing since 2004 or so on all my Ultima7 BG games. Yeah, I know... it sucks... :P

BTW, it seems this bug doesn't affect Ultima 7 SI but only BG and... who knows? Maybe FoV fixed it and I couldn't tell, for the first time I played FoV was on 2005 when I was already doing it carefully with those containers.

No need to say that if the mighty Exult team manages to fix this annoying bug, even if it was there on the original game, it would be splendid! ^_^
Zosite

Post by Zosite »

Here, another poor fella who found it by... ahem... cooking!

http://bootstrike.com/Ultima/Online/bugs.html

Scroll down to Ultima 7 BG bugs section. Then again it seems the bug is triggered when you you have too many objects belonging to you no matter where they are nor what they are, although I still think it's also somewhat related to objects in containers. Did anyone mention gold coins?
Dominus
Site Admin

Post by Dominus »

i'm not sure whether Exult suffers that bug.
--
Read the Rules!
Mike Mayday

Post by Mike Mayday »

Hey guysssss.
I have played around with RC1 in Black Gate for a few days and I must say I'm very impressed and happy inside :)
Are you planning to set up some kind of bugtracker system like mantis?

Are you interested in listening to someone (me) bitch (moan) about the remaining small differences between original BG and Exult that are in no way important but it would be totally sweet (more like mediocre sweet) if they worked?

Or how about some additional improvements that I have no idea if they are possible but would be totally sweet (really totally sweet) if implemented? (like automatic temporary deactivation of a freshly activated egg so that when you kill a group of monsters, wander off and get back in a minute they're not back to life again).