SOMEONE PLEASE TELL ME...

NOTICE: This forum is archived as read only.
Please use the Github Discussions at https://github.com/exult/exult/discussions
Forum rules
NOTICE: This forum is archived as read only.
Please use the Github Discussions at https://github.com/exult/exult/discussions
suraimu

SOMEONE PLEASE TELL ME...

Post by suraimu »

....why the hell Jhelom is called Valoria in Ultima 9?

Just curious.
Stephan

Re: SOMEONE PLEASE TELL ME...

Post by Stephan »

Well.. if I remember correctly, Jhelom was destroyed by a volcano. Then, the none-too-bright fighters of Jhelom founded their new city, Valoria, inside said volcano.
Paulon

Post by Paulon »

Best theory anyone on rgcud could come up with was that nobody could agree how to pronounce Jhelom for the voice acting, so they made up an excuse to change it.
toad`sMoke

Post by toad`sMoke »

lol. that's probably exactly it.

i'd said jhay-lom [say 'jay' with a slight h sound]

...or

the j is silent so: He-lom
XxVenomxX

Post by XxVenomxX »

I pronounce it Jel om, like hair 'gel' and 'om' sounding like 'on'. hehe
There was a huge discussion back at Horizons tavern when U9 came out as to a bunch of surprise pronunciations.
A few I remember were 'reagents', when the game pronounced them 're-agents' as to some of us who pronounced it reegents or raygents (like Reagan = Raygan), another was Shamino. I always pronounced it Sha-mee-no, but when I heard Garriots voice (in LBs castle dungeon) say Sha-min-oh, I knew thats how it must be, hehe.
Iolo was pretty straight forward, some always pronounced it Ee-oh-low, and some just Yo-low.
But the one that got me the most was actually Minoc. Forever, I'd always called it Min-ick, then I hear this 'My-knock' business, hehe. Of course, I use all these pronunciations now (except for reagents, thats still raygents to me)
Well, thats what you get for delving into the world of spoken word in the Sosarian universe :P
http://venom.gamersgraveyard.com
Fantasy art/Illustration by Brendan Setaro
suraimu

Post by suraimu »

Most of the pronounciations were dead on to what I expected them to be,
personally, except for reagents like you said. I always pronounced that 'REG-unts', like the candy Runts with an egg shoved in the middle.

But... Min-ick? Where did you get a short I from the letter O? :P
XxVenomxX

Post by XxVenomxX »

Like the word havoc, I dont pronounce it have-ock. I pronounce it hav-ick, or have-eck, if you want to get technical. THATS where I get it from the letter O " :P ". Exactly the same thing. hehe
Kurt

Post by Kurt »

I always pronounced Jhelom as 'Jel-Om' too... and 'ree-age-ent'.

i found it weird having 'sha-mee-no' as 'sha-min-oh' as well. just doesnt make sense to me, but i guess technically it is the right pronunciation. Like right there: proh-nun-see-ay-shun. that 'ee' bit sounds right. try saying 'proh-nun-sih-ay-shun' and you just sound like you're talking in a weird accent.

*gets angry and wants to hire all the u9 voice actors to pronounce everything that sounds wrong. no skip that, get new voice actors that dont suck*
suraimu

Post by suraimu »

Only a couple of the voice actors in 9 really blew. Unfortunately the voice
for the Avatar was the worst of said actors that blew. :(
XxVenomxX

Post by XxVenomxX »

hehe...

"Stealing is wrong!"
Tim

Post by Tim »

Well, reagent is the only word that wasn't created. And it is pronounced "ree-ay-jent". You can look it up. :)

I've always said "Jay-lum", "My-nok", and "Sha-minnow" (minnow... like the fish), "Jay-na" (Jaana), and "Eye-oh-lo".

If people had trouble pronouncing it, why didn't they put it in phonetics in the script? It could have been called New Jhelom since the old one was destroyed. You know like New Magincia. I always pronounced that one with a hard G.

Yes, I agree the Avatar's voice actor wasn't all that good. I didn't care for the people in Minoc either. That accent got annoying after the first person spoke with it. And each of them got progressively worse. :)

Venom... good point... if we pronounce havoc the same way I pronounce Minoc... We'd have "hay-vok". :)
toad`sMoke

Post by toad`sMoke »

minoc - min-auk
shamino - sha-min-oh
jaana - jah-na
iolo - yo-lo
reagents - regents [when i was younger]; reagents [passed 2/3 years]
Funcrusher

Post by Funcrusher »

Jhelom- Yeh-lum
Minoc- Me-Knock
suraimu

Post by suraimu »

Jaana wasn't exactly an invented name. :P

'John-uh' and 'Jan-uh' are both more or less acceptable pronounciations
of the name - Never heard anyone pronounce it Jayna. Would make more
sense if it were spelled Jana, but even then...
suraimu

Post by suraimu »

Hey forum dudes - delete this damn topic so we can all reclaim what little
amounts of a life we have by stop arguing about pronounciation. :P
Tim

Post by Tim »

I forgot that I said the "made up" part when I added Jaana's name into that post.

Don't delete this thread. We should all fight about how to pronounce Jhelom. It's important. Maybe someday, somewhere, someone will make a voice-enabled U7, U6, U5, or U4 and people will need to know how to say it. :)
XxVenomxX

Post by XxVenomxX »

I don't recall seeing any arguements going on about pronunciations, except when you started knocking my pronunciation of Minoc, lol. We're just talking about how we pronounced a bunch of Britannian names/places anyways :) . It is pretty lame to argue about pronunciations anyways, though. It's almost as lame as arguing about what languages sound the ugliest... *rolls eyes* lol.
suraimu

Post by suraimu »

lol 8)
drcode
Site Admin

Post by drcode »

Say... voice recognition is something I've been thinking about for a while as a fun thing to do. IBM's ViaVoice SDK is available for free, but I'm afraid they only do that for Linux.

I think it would be fun to say "Hey, you!", and have the closest NPC turn and say "Me?". Then if you say "No," the next closest would ask.
Kurt

Post by Kurt »

Nu'Jelm sounds like New Jhelom. It's a town in Ultima Online. (jhelom is there too, though)
Tenchi

Post by Tenchi »

Ok, here's my go at the pronunciations...

minoc - mai-nok
shamino - sha-min-oh
jaana - ja-a-na
iolo - yo-lo
reagents - ri-ai-jents
Jhelom - yeh-lom
Reagan - re-gan

Concerning the VAs - the German voice actors really are no bit better there, and some of them really *did* suck. Also, there was a plethora of really weird pronunciations... especially the names (of cities, names etc.) were often pronounced really strange.
Tim

Post by Tim »

I want to hear the German version. I love that language. :) No matter what you say in it, you sound angry. hehe.
Dominus
Site Admin

Post by Dominus »

zhat is noot trew!
Seriously. It always depensd on who you are listening to. If you only hear German in bad American Movies it tends to sound like you describe (especially with movies that feature Hitler-like voice acting). It´s probably the same if you let non-Americans watch "Fargo" and tell people that is how the Americans sound. Wouldn´t any justice, would it?
--
Read the documentation and the FAQ! There is no excuse for not reading them! RTFM
Read the Rules!
We do not support Piracy/Abandonware/Warez!
Mirek

Post by Mirek »

To Tim & Dominus:

The opinion on the sound of a language depends on how a person is used to the language and what is the original sound of his native language.

Example:
My native language is Czech. I have started to learn English long time ago, so I do not remember how it felt to me at the beginning.
As for other languages: I do not know French, but it seems to me too *sweet* (reminds me something containing too much sugar). German sounds normal now (I watch German TV almost every day and prefer it to Czech TV). However I remember that at beginning (not now) it sounded quite *hard* to me. Well, to a certain way opposite of French.

This was just an illustration. I DO NOT WANT TO START ANY LANGUAGE WAR. I do not thing that any language sounds better than another. It is just matter of what a person is used to.

Mirek
Dominus
Site Admin

Post by Dominus »

Mirek: well stated!
--
Read the documentation and the FAQ! There is no excuse for not reading them! RTFM
Read the Rules!
artaxerxes
Site Admin

Post by artaxerxes »

Well. as a native french I have to say that I like the sound made by French words. Especially if you ever went to the south-west of France, like Toulouse, you would really appreciate the singing form of French.

Beautiful!

Artaxerxes
nadir
Site Admin

Post by nadir »

All latin languages sound much softer than their anglosaxon counterparts, which instead have lots of "harsh" sounds. English is a notable exception.
artaxerxes
Site Admin

Post by artaxerxes »

I also must say that a bunch of african languages sound pretty neat, especially when they sing. Those guys know how to get something with their voicebox.

I (re-)watched "The Gods Must Be Crazy" recently and it was really neat to hear them sing all together.

Artaxerxes
Tim

Post by Tim »

Didn't mean to initiate a language war. I just want to hear the Avatar yell at Blackthorn or the Guardian in a foreign language and I think German would be cool. :) French too.
XxVenomxX

Post by XxVenomxX »

Wouldn't be the first language war. hehe. We should just have another forum to talk about languages in. Seems to be a frequent topic. :P
Dominus
Site Admin

Post by Dominus »

Actually Tim, I would like to hear it as well. I´ve got the Dragon Edition which was only availlable in English I think. So the only Ultima I own in German is U8 :-(
--
Read the Rules!
Platypuss

Post by Platypuss »

Seeing as "reagents" are just things that "react" or make a "reaction", I find it fuuny how anyone could say the word any other way!

We don't say "Chain Reection" or "Chain Rayction" after all!

I knew that Chemistry Degree would come in handy one day!
XxVenomxX

Post by XxVenomxX »

But that doesn't matter to a person who had never heard the word before out of Ultima context, like myself when I started playing ultima at the age of 5, and who has never taken a single chemistry course, even though I'm in college. Not to mentioned the aforementioned pronunciation of Ronald Reagan's last name. At least here in Connecticut anyways, lol. No one calls him Ronald Ree-Agan. Not everyone has the same experience with every word in the english language. :)
suraimu

Post by suraimu »

'agent' is a noun - I never even considered calling it re-agent because you
can't repeat an action when it's not an action but rather a noun. :P

"I RE-CHOCOLATE MY CAKE"
wjp
Site Admin

Post by wjp »

an agent is something that acts, a reagent is something that reacts. Easy :-)
Lord Rat

Post by Lord Rat »

I always pronounce it:

Jeh Hel Um
Rob D

Post by Rob D »

Well, to add my little bit to this already long message thread.
My native language is german, but I always prefered english.. Now that I love in the USA with my wife (who speaks no bit of german) I know why. I had Ultima IX in German, but left it "home" when I moved. the voice actors where really not that hot.. I have still nightmares of the Avatar's "Wie heisst du?" (What is your name)...
The best way to solve this trouble is .. try to get hold of Richard Garriott. Anybody got his number? Maybe he can tell us how to pronounce the names.. and it seems that, if we could find him, he even would.
MV

Post by MV »

Mmmm, I always pronounce jaana as yar-nah. Must be the way we pronounce A over here. :) Just like I say toe-mar-toe, and you say toe-mate-o.

Iolo I really had no idea so I just said eye-o-lo.

Shamino was a no brainer as sha-min-o. I'm pretty sure that's the way he spells it out if you ask his name in u7 tbg. :)

Dupre, well, du-pray.

Jhelom = gel-ohm.

Minoc = min-oc.
Kurt

Post by Kurt »

yay, someone else that pronounces the J in jaana as a Y... sounds scandinavian

my personal interpretations of strange words:

dupre: duh-pray
shamino: sha-mee-no
iolo: yo-lo
jaana: yar-na

jhelom: jell-um
minoc: my-nok

reagent: ree-ay-jent

i think that covers it.
god i'm bored, this topic has got me thinking a lot though...
Lord Rat

Post by Lord Rat »

dupre: doo-pray
shamino: sha-min-no
iolo: ee-O-lo
jaana: Jan-na
minoc: my-nok
reagent: ree'-uh-jent
Skara Brae: Scar-a-bray
SB-X

Post by SB-X »

Hello, this is the first time I've posted here but I think I ought to add this.
Let us not forget that both Dupre and Iolo have pronunciations given in
Ultima VI: The False Prophet. :)

Dupre='dew pray'
Iolo='Yo-low' (although I've always said either eye-oh-low or ee-oh-low)

My own pronunciations:
Minoc=Mee-knock
Shamino=Shah-mee-know
Skara Brae=Scar-uh Bray-uh
Jhelom=Jell-Hum
MV

Post by MV »

Nah, Australian Kurt. :) But yea, I see what you mean by the pronounciation.

Also:

Skara-brae = scar-ra-bray

reagent = regent. Yea, that's how I used to say it. But, re-a-gent does make more sense. :)

But it's pretty diverse on how people pronounce words. Some can be the same, most very different.