1st time playing

NOTICE: This forum is archived as read only.
Please use the Github Discussions at https://github.com/exult/exult/discussions
Forum rules
NOTICE: This forum is archived as read only.
Please use the Github Discussions at https://github.com/exult/exult/discussions
warning

1st time playing

Post by warning »

I have never played Ultima 7. I have it and have wanted to play it soo bad but I could never get it to work. I'm loving what I see of Exult but I haven't started playing U7 because I'm not sure what the bug status is. Is there a "% bug-free"? Should I wait till its out of alpha to play it? Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks!
Stephan

Re: 1st time playing

Post by Stephan »

I recommend NOT playing it until Exult is totally - or very nearly - bug-free. Though it's possible for a veteran U7 player to enjoy the game as it is now, I suspect a first time player would be put off by some of the existing bugs.

I have to commend the Exult team for squishing them as fast as they do, though. :)
drcode
Site Admin

Post by drcode »

It's 99% bug-free. That means if you play for 100 seconds, it will only crash once:-)

Actually, it's less crash-prone (for me, at least) than playing the original U7, but I'd agree with Stephan that you might want to wait a little while. We expect to release our first Beta within a couple weeks, and that might be a good time.
Tim

Post by Tim »

Hell, I'd have told him to go ahead. :)
comat0se

Post by comat0se »

It's my first time playing ... and I'm using Exult. I haven't run in to any major problems.
warning

Post by warning »

Okay.... 2 in favor of going ahead and playing it and 2 in favor of waiting. I'll tally up the votes and make my decision next week! Seems the democratic way to figure this one out.
XxVenomxX

Post by XxVenomxX »

I'd wait too. My first U7 experience was bliss, lol. If it were my first time playing, I'd want the confidence of playing U7 with a finely polished peice of artwork, such as Exult is shaping up to be! Right as Stephen said, us veterans (or most of us at least) don't mind. But running into a bug, that might just pop up, might result in trying to fix somethin that could spoil the story or whatnot for a newcomer. Besides, patience is a virtue, though not one preached in Britannia, lol. It will be WELL worth the wait. Heck, it already is well worth the wait.
http://venom.gamersgraveyard.com
Fantasy art/Illustration by Brendan Setaro
Negative9

Post by Negative9 »

Well, I'm a purist, so I say play through U7 and Serpent Isle with u7run (http://members.iinet.net.au/~rsd/U7inWindows.html) first. Trust me you'll definately want to play through them again at some point and Exult should be near perfect by the time you do.
nadir
Site Admin

Post by nadir »

But maybe "warning" is running NT, 2000 or XP and he can't use u7run.
The sooner the "lesser" variants of Windows are removed from the world, the better for all of us.
Dominus
Site Admin

Post by Dominus »

warning: I think you should wait a little bit before playing BG in Exult (as a first timer anyway) as there might still be a bug that could force you to restart your current game and that would be a major spoiler for a first time U7 gamer.

Tristan: Well, you CAN play U7 with u7run in the Windows NT (including W2k and XP) but it is sloooooooooooooooooooooooooow and the sound is not that good as you need sound emulation which doesn´t help the sloooooooooooooooooooowness at all.
But true: let´s get rid of those non-NT Windows :-)
--
Read the documentation and the FAQ! There is no excuse for not reading them! RTFM
Read the Rules!
We do not support Piracy/Abandonware/Warez!
nadir
Site Admin

Post by nadir »

Dominus: You can ? I thought that was only possible with u7dpmi
Dominus
Site Admin

Post by Dominus »

Ok, you are right it´s only possible with U7dpmi but that comes with u7run

:-)
--
Read the documentation and the FAQ! There is no excuse for not reading them! RTFM
Read the Rules!
We do not support Piracy/Abandonware/Warez!
drcode
Site Admin

Post by drcode »

Um, isn't XP the most recent, 'official' version of Windows? In other words, aren't the non-NT versions losing support?
Karl

Post by Karl »

I'd say that U7 is plenty stable enough to go ahead and play now, but I'd wait a little longer on Serpent Isle ... but that's coming along very fast as well.

-Karl
warning

Post by warning »

I can run U7Run but I like the features in Exult better so I'll go that way if I can. And yes, I'm running Win98se. I will eventually upgrade to XP but I think it has problems running DOS games from what I've heard and I still need to finish Betrayal at Krondor.

Thanks for your opinions. I'm still tallying the votes.
Sven

Post by Sven »

Well in my opinion you could play BG very well. => Thanks to the Exult team.
Ok, there is a little bug left but I think even with this bug it's still worth playing. So go ahead and have fun with this jewel of a game.

SI instead is a thing I would wait a bit longer for a first time player. I started it in Exult a few days ago and I am not in big problems yet, but who knows how far I have to go before the first bugs will be revealed to me. :)