Something to try

NOTICE: This forum is archived as read only.
Please use the Github Discussions at https://github.com/exult/exult/discussions
Forum rules
NOTICE: This forum is archived as read only.
Please use the Github Discussions at https://github.com/exult/exult/discussions
toad`sMoke

Something to try

Post by toad`sMoke »

First get four people on your team. Then go into colorless' cheat option menu and edit the avatar NPC. change his name to Spark, then his shape to spark's shape. Then with the rest of your party change their names to: Hook, Batlin, Elizabeth and Abraham, and their shapes respectfully. [elizabeth and abraham are 881 and 882, the others are just up from that around 840-870]

hehhee... now terrorize Britanna with the evil consiring Spark and his fellow henchmen... hehehe

sadly, when you talk to the character that used to be a party member it'll still be him... BUT it's stilll lots of fun...

you could try it with the avatar being Lord British and his fellow henchmen.... hehe
Colourless
Site Admin

Re: Something to try

Post by Colourless »

"Colorless' cheat menu"... what's that?????

Oh, silly me, you missed out the letter 'u'. I now see that you mean "Colourless' cheat menu".

Please don't confuse me again in the future and make sure you spell MY name CORRECTLY! ;-)

-Colourless Dragon
Tenchi

Post by Tenchi »

Don't blame him, he just thought logically. At least "colorless" would make sense, but *coloUr*less!? WTF is a "colour"? Something you can eat or something? Altough, actually, it sounds more like a disease... and then your name would make sense again - *colour*less as in "free of disease". Right? Hah! I knew it!
Colourless
Site Admin

Post by Colourless »

It is very unwise to anger a moderator. ;-)

You should know that "colour" is the one true way to spell the word "colour". Those Americans, who don't have the linguistic ability to use a 6 letter word, shortened the word "colour" to the bastardization that is "color". :-)

Do not write such things around me, or else you'll pay the consequences. :-)

-Colourless Dragon
Dominus
Site Admin

Post by Dominus »

LOL
--
Read the documentation and the FAQ! There is no excuse for not reading them! RTFM
Read the Rules!
We do not support Piracy/Abandonware/Warez!
Lord Rat

Post by Lord Rat »

So, if you are a 'colourless' dragon, does that make you a 'colored' dragon?

Just some food for thought. . .
toad`sMoke

Post by toad`sMoke »

lol.... sorry colousless.. =P
Max aka Moscow Dragon

Funny a bit

Post by Max aka Moscow Dragon »

In Russian schools, English is taught as a foreign language (I was studying English since my 7 years old, so, I'm a bit bilingual).

And lo! we studied English with the word "color"!

Nevertheless, we were taught to say "dAnce" and not "d&AElignce", "grAphics" and not "gr&AEligfics" and such.

We were said that using &AElig sound in these words (like in "cat") is an Americanism.
fliptw

Re: Funny a bit

Post by fliptw »

colour is correct linguistically, since it came from french into the english lanuage, along with the other "-our" words, like Honour and Neighbour
Tenchi

Post by Tenchi »

Well, sorry Coulourless (see, I even let you have one more 'u'! Isn't that nice of me?), but during many, many years of learning English, I was conditionized by my old English teacher to hate the British spelling with a vengeance. He had been teaching English at a *military academy* before, and he didn't see any difference to our school, so he still teached the same way. Somehow, he couldn't stand me right from the first day... at first I tried playing nice, but very soon I noticed that it didn't work, because pretty soon he had one of his fits again and was going on about how I wrote "color" instead of "colour" and that it was the bad and evil American spelling and such. Then he went on about how there were (in alphabetical order) five others after me which were just as bad as me (which just meant that he couldn't stand them either) and how I was the leader of a revolt. So, eventually, I decided to take up my position as "leader of the revolt" and swore to avoid the British spelling (and other British words) wherever possible, just to piss him off, since he couldn't stand me anyway. After all theses years, I finally decided then to keep up with it as some kind of remembrance.
However, don't misunderstand me. I don't have the least against Brits themselves. Mothy Python *rules*, and I can empty a bag of English Winegum faster than you can count on three - it's just the British spelling that I despise.
Trevor_Clim

Post by Trevor_Clim »

what about a party of following characters:

the two crippled beggars of Paws and Appolonia ?
XxVenomxX

Post by XxVenomxX »

Man, here we go, language wars again. *rolls eyes*
:/

Thats some title, leader of the English spelling revolt! lol
http://venom.gamersgraveyard.com
Fantasy art/Illustration by Brendan Setaro
Meat Shield

Post by Meat Shield »

Anyone watch the Eddy Izzard's bit on the differances between Britian and the U.S. ? Quite funny I think.

America and Britian. Two countries seperated by a ... common geography.
FitzRoy

Post by FitzRoy »

What's with british people saying "herb" with the "h" pronounced. They say that's the correct way because it has an "h" in the beginning. Yet, the word "hour" is the same way, but they don't do it with that.

One I happen to agree with is "Aluminium". I'm not sure how we messed up that one.
Dragon To Be

Post by Dragon To Be »

I myself like the British spelling and pronounciation more. No, I HATE American speech and spelling. When you talk to an American, you surely don't understand lots of words just because he swallows words (if you aren't an American, of course). And I dunno why Americans write, for example, "center" instead of "centre". I don't want to angry American people, that's just my humble opinion.
-Oleg Belyaev (Belyaev Dragon to Be)
Tenchi

Post by Tenchi »

> Thats some title, leader of the English spelling revolt! lol

Yeah, at least it made things a little more bearable. As time went by my "revolt" even gained more people... and the teacher acted as if I had brought them up against him (which wasn't the case - well, at least not at first ^_^)

> And I dunno why Americans write, for example, "center" instead of "centre"

Actually, that's the single most thing I despise the most of all British spellings, because I feel it is so terribly unnatural. This is because the American spelling of "-er" (center, meter...) is exactly like the German spelling, which has the words also always end in "-er", so e.g. "meter" and "center" are exactly the same in German, only capitalized (Whereas the German "Center" normally means a shopping center and not the center of something in general).
Soule

Post by Soule »

I vote for colour and also the Queen's English!
British accent is so much refined than the Americans.
Dragon To Be

Post by Dragon To Be »

I know German (somewhat) and how everything is written there, but I think that Americans just mock the British English. Who invented English? British people. And why the hell did Americans overwrite it? Answer is simple -- they just want to simplify the original English. That's all. Either it means they don't WANT to speak normally, or it's just too difficult for them to handle (don't want to disappoint Americans, I don't mean that all of them are such people). You know, after the America being independant, American English and British English were expanding separately. So, it brings some BAD thoughts on my mind...:)
But what I hate MOST of all is their pronounciation. I don't know how they understand each other, but when I hear a British man speaking, I understand him. When American man is speaking, some words are surely non-understandable! They just swallow the ends of words. I think it's just mocking of the language.
-Oleg Belyaev
XxVenomxX

Post by XxVenomxX »

That's odd, because I have a friend from England, and sometimes when she speaks a sentence quickly, I can't understand a word she says. Not to mention that guy on 'Whose Line is it Anyways' (the older english episodes), there is this balding guy with huge eyebrows, who's on it once in a while. I can't understand a single word he says, heh. But you know, I've never met anyone who really cared about how other people talk as much as the people on this board, lol. It's not like everyone in America speaks the same either. There are a ton of different dialects. And you know why? Because that's how languages develop in different parts of the world. Especially those with other influences. There's Cajun accents, southern accents, Brooklyn accents, Boston accents, Western accents, northern accents, Canadian accents. I could go on and on, but I won't. I just don't understand the fascination with ripping apart others speaking methods, hehe.
Yeesh, that settles it, I'm gonna make a separate forum for language debates. This is crazy! lol
Dominus
Site Admin

Post by Dominus »

Hey XxVenomxX, if you ever do set up one (a forum on language debates), please let me know. Besides politics this seems to be the most interesting topic. Have you seen the movie "Lock, Stock and two smoking barrels"? I think this movie proves your point :-)
Or even worse the follow up starring Brad Pit (I think the movie was called "Snatch") as a gypsie. I swear I couldn´t understand one word he said :-)

(You see, I´m trying to steer the topic onto movies and language as this could lighten up even more disputes).

(I wonder if there is some option in Phorum to close threads....)
--
Read the documentation and the FAQ! There is no excuse for not reading them! RTFM
Read the Rules!
We do not support Piracy/Abandonware/Warez!
wjp
Site Admin

Post by wjp »

Well, there's the 'delete thread' option ;-)
XxVenomxX

Post by XxVenomxX »

LOL Dominus, I had that movie, Snatch, in mind when I was typing that out, hehe.
Tenchi

Post by Tenchi »

> But what I hate MOST of all is their pronounciation. I don't know how they understand each other, but when I hear a British man speaking, I understand him. When American man is speaking, some words are surely non-understandable!

That's interesting... with me, it's the exact opposite. If there's an American speaking, I generally don't have any problems understanding him (even if it's slang). But if a Britain is speaking, I generally have big difficulties to understand anything at all - and if he/she is speaking *very* british, he/she could be as well speaking chinese or something, because *then* I don't understand the least bit.
Examples: Once we had Monthy Python's Flying circus in original British with German subtitles on TV. If it weren't for the subtitles, I hardly would've understand anything. Then I've watched "Married with children" in the original (American), and even though this was without subs, I had no problems understanding it.
nadir
Site Admin

Post by nadir »

Tenchi: that is because American humour is so obvious...
Colourless
Site Admin

Post by Colourless »

Ouch :-)

-Colourless Dragon
Lord Rat

Post by Lord Rat »

Unfortunately, that's so true (being American myself).