u9 with the u7 engine

NOTICE: This forum is archived as read only.
Please use the Github Discussions at https://github.com/exult/exult/discussions
Forum rules
NOTICE: This forum is archived as read only.
Please use the Github Discussions at https://github.com/exult/exult/discussions
toad`sMoke

u9 with the u7 engine

Post by toad`sMoke »

i believe someone with much time on their hands should dedicate themselves to recreate u9 with the u7 engine. you could use exalt studios.

...or has someone already thought of that?
drcode
Site Admin

Re: u9 with the u7 engine

Post by drcode »

No, but we've talked about redoing U4 with Exult, except we really ought to get Origin's permission.
silver serpent

Post by silver serpent »

Ultima 9 is way more technically advanced, that would take years and years to do. I know it gets lots of bad write ups, but personally I think the graphics and the world on U9 is amazing. And its not as unstable as people make out, especially not with the new patches.

BTW u4 on exult sounds like a good idea
Karl

Post by Karl »

Would sending an email to EA and waiting a reasonable amount of time for them to respond be enough? It's likely that they will just ignore the email, and the project as well like they have with Exult so far.

Oh, just curious, but how much work would you guess needs to be done on Exult Studio before it can be used to create an entire adventure from scratch? You were planning on working on ES after Exult goes beta, correct?

-Karl
Trevor_Clim

Post by Trevor_Clim »

a guy of the forum here said a while ago some wise sentences:

Quote:
"Someone could take the same game, the same plot, and the same characters (with any additions they felt like) and build a larger Britannia to play in. More wilderness to explore, larger cities to visit, bigger oceans to sail, more islands, more rogue encampments, more, more, more, MORE, MORE, MORE, MMMMOOOORRRRRREEEEE!........ah........eh.......oh....heh. "
Dominus
Site Admin

Post by Dominus »

The problem with EA is that even if they decided to ignore your email you couldn't be sure if they wouldn't gun you down when you are close to having it finished. And the way the world moves they could just notify your host and could possibly get your site removed even before you get a notification. And if they threaten you with a lawsuit (after all you emailed them beore and gave them your real name) you will proabably not put the new game up anywhere else.
(just being a bit pessimistic)
--
Read the documentation and the FAQ! There is no excuse for not reading them! RTFM
Read the Rules!
We do not support Piracy/Abandonware/Warez!
Karl

Post by Karl »

I had not thought about it that way. I guess doing so would be rather risky, and it would be annoying to see a bunch of work get thrown away if they decided to fight it.

I'd say the chance of getting offical permission would be slim to none, however.

Are any of the other Ultima remakes near completion? I suppose one could judge EA's likely reaction based on how they treat these projects.

-Karl
DragonKain

Post by DragonKain »

I would love to see U6 with Exult. It seems the guys re-making U6 with the Dungeon Seige engine are at least a year and a half away from a finished product... =(
Dominus
Site Admin

Post by Dominus »

Hm, doing it with Exult would take at least as much time.
--
Read the documentation and the FAQ! There is no excuse for not reading them! RTFM
Read the Rules!
We do not support Piracy/Abandonware/Warez!
DragonKain

Post by DragonKain »

Doh! (sorry.. im ignorent when it comes to programming.)
SB-X

Post by SB-X »

The DS engine is uninteresting and the U6 remake in it is uninteresting. Ultima6 doesn't need to be "re-made". The plot and gameplay and world is perfect. I would simply like to port it over to Exult(U6 with U7 graphics and sounds and effects!)

*SB-X waits for multiple-map support to get added to Exult.*
Tim

Post by Tim »

The U6 remake won't even get started until that Dungeon Siege thingie gets released.

U4 with Exult would be cool. Hope there's more dialogue... a BG amount, not SI. In SI, I feel like I'm talking to a single character for hours. And I hate not going through every option because you may miss something.
Oblivious

Post by Oblivious »

I've been working on a light-hearted drawing of the U4-era version of the 8 companions in a group picture all doing silly things.

BACK ROW
Iolo: stringin' his lute
Geoffrey: flexing his arm
Julia: flexing her muscles
Dupre: giving Geoffrey bunny ears (Geoffrey is completely oblivious to this)

FRONT ROW
Katrina: Giving a thumbs-up
Shamino&Jaana: both flashing the peace sign
Mariah: making a face

I still haven't drawn in Iolo or Mariah, yet, and it's still just a rough draft, so it won't be finished for some time.
Trevor_Clim

Post by Trevor_Clim »

u7 with the u9 engine? that would be cooool.
drk

Post by drk »

you dont have to port u9 through exult, just use the exult engine itself to design the game with the story line and whatever else you wanted. it would still take about the same time as the dungeonsiege remake would take if you are gonna redo ultima 6. there should atleast be an attempt made to redo the older ultima's with atleast graphics that are atleast half as good as exult if not with exult itself.

there's already several remakes going for ultima 9 trying to fix the story and game itself in a different engine. some are actually looking ok. those that are waiting for the ds engine to use are probably going to be dissappointed.

atleast with exult you know its already got the ultima feel.
Tim

Post by Tim »

Why does everyone pick on Geoffrey?