list field bug

NOTICE: This forum is archived as read only.
Please use the Github Discussions at https://github.com/exult/exult/discussions
Forum rules
NOTICE: This forum is archived as read only.
Please use the Github Discussions at https://github.com/exult/exult/discussions
Clock Nova

list field bug

Post by Clock Nova »

Is there any way to make the pikeman at the list field return after the Banquet bug has made him vanish? I'd really like to do some training and get our magic shield back.
Elden

Re: list field bug

Post by Elden »

I accidentally got him back by changing screen size from 400x300 to the largest size possible he reapeared for no reason after that !
Clock Nova

Post by Clock Nova »

No luck. Were you standing next to him at the time?

I can't even find him at the House of the Dead. What is his NPC number? Maybe I can use the in-game editor to get him back.
drcode
Site Admin

Post by drcode »

He's not a real NPC, but is created by a 'monster' egg that's near the desk. The bug is that the usecode executed for the banquet finds all eggs near the Avatar and deletes them.

The only way to fix it would be with ExultStudio. Might be a bit tricky, as you'd have to first look at the egg in a 'good' game to get all its attributes.
Dominus
Site Admin

Post by Dominus »

And Exult does not use the House of Dead when NPCs die or get deleted...
--
Read the documentation and the FAQ! There is no excuse for not reading them! RTFM
Read the Rules!
We do not support Piracy/Abandonware/Warez!
Clock Nova

Post by Clock Nova »

"The bug is that the usecode executed for the banquet finds all eggs near the Avatar and deletes them"

Now why would it do that. Nasty bug. Nassssssty, nassssssty bug. We hatesss it.

I guess I'm starting over. Again. Sigh.
wjp
Site Admin

Post by wjp »

It wants to delete the egg near the banquet hall doors. (But instead deletes the pikeman egg when you're closer to that than to the doors)
Telemachos

Post by Telemachos »

Hmm.. it's rather unbelievable that eggs are not accessed through IDs or symbolic names. Relying on a certain egg to always be the closests - well, that's just... stupid ;)

- Tele
fliptw

Post by fliptw »

Maybe thats an insight on how the pathfinding worked in U7...

the deleting eggs is what confuses me. sounds wasteful and... well... not very avian friendly
Darke
Site Admin

Post by Darke »

Why would deleting the closest egg be 'stupid'? At a guess the only other alternative to selecting an egg would be something like a GUID. Which would require more storage space on both disk and in memory (and it's not as if U7 wasn't pushing the limits of the minimum requirements anyway!), for something that happens rarely. After all, most of the time you're just triggering eggs by moving near them, which doesn't require a GUID, so why would you waste such relatively large amount of space for the time, for a 2byte (limiting you to 65k eggs) or 4byte GUID for *each* egg?
Dominus
Site Admin

Post by Dominus »

Also most of the times this problem surfaces when people are playing in cheat mode (higher resolution) and execute stuff (like doubleclicking a door) from too far away...
But to be precise, you could trigger this bug in the original as well.
--
Read the documentation and the FAQ! There is no excuse for not reading them! RTFM
Read the Rules!
We do not support Piracy/Abandonware/Warez!
Telemachos

Post by Telemachos »

Well, how many eggs are in U7 in total? Just an estimate?

- Tele
wjp
Site Admin

Post by wjp »

About several thousand.
Telemachos

Post by Telemachos »

Well, what is that? 5000? 10000? More? I'm asking to be able to better comment on what Darke suggested that it would be a problem with storing an ID per egg in memory and on disk. My point here is that even assuming we spend 4 bytes per egg for an ID (although 2 would probably be enough) the extra memory needed would be minimal ;)

Trading 20kb memory for a host of hard-to-debug gameplay bugs seems like a premature optimization to me ;)

Dominus' comment that you could actually trigger this particular bug in the original game as well just goes to show that the design is flawed (IMHO)

- Tele
Neutronium Dragon

Post by Neutronium Dragon »

It might not seem like much *now*, but on the original version designed to run on 2 meg machines and already requiring an extremely difficult-to-achieve amount of conventional memory free, it would have probably been a breaker.

Neutronium Dragon
Colourless
Site Admin

Post by Colourless »

Actually the fix would have been simpler than adding an egg ID to all the eggs. The problem isn't that they used 'find_nearby', it's that they used 'find_nearby' the Avatar's Positions. Instead, they should have just used the coords of the egg for the location to find_nearby.

Incidently, patching this usecode would be possible, should someone want to spend the time doing it.

-Colourless Dragon
wjp
Site Admin

Post by wjp »

There are close to 3000 items of shape 275 i n SI. (That shape includes usecode eggs and several other kind of eggs, but I think it doesn't include traps)
memo

Post by memo »

As I suggested before, it would be nice to limit the range of several actions (search for eggs, ranged spells etc.) to the original resolution, no matter the current resolution. Like a 320x200 invisible frame around the Avatar. This could solve many problems, and playing in hi-res wouldn't be cheating anymore (granted you can still se things you should not see, but you cannot use them anyway).
Colourless
Site Admin

Post by Colourless »

The List Field problem though isn't caused by an egg being triggered. The usecode is executed when you double click on the Banquet Hall doors.
drcode
Site Admin

Post by drcode »

I think you can make the same bug happen in the original if you're at the far left of the screen when you double-click the doors.
George

Post by George »

I figured out how to fix the bottle egg by the Gobline obelisk without too much trouble. Would this be a similar fix or would it be more involved and necessitate fixing this "usecode" thing I keep reading about? If it's similar to the bottle egg, then can someone give me some basic advice on what to look for if I wanted to try and fix this myself?

Thanks!
Skirge
Clock Nova

Post by Clock Nova »

Wat was the problem with the bottle egg?
Skirge01

Post by Skirge01 »

I drank the bottle rather than picking it up. =) Then, in trying to fix that screwup in Exult Studio, I started messing up the eggs in the area and had to fix them.
Clock Nova

Post by Clock Nova »

Jezz. You'd think that if anyone was going to drink the evidence it would be Dupre!