Exult Build for Windows

NOTICE: This forum is archived as read only.
Please use the Github Discussions at https://github.com/exult/exult/discussions
Forum rules
NOTICE: This forum is archived as read only.
Please use the Github Discussions at https://github.com/exult/exult/discussions
Ziagl

Exult Build for Windows

Post by Ziagl »

Hi,

I'm trying to build Exult with Visual Studio 2019 for Windows. After fixing prebuild header errors (because there are no prebuilt header on github) and fixing a lot of missing dependencies I got to a point with over 200 compiling error. For example, a lot of constants are missing for example:

EXULT_BG_FLX_SHAPE_INFO_TXT

There is no definition of it anywhere. So I have no clue what is missing.

Interesting fact is, that I was able to compile the source on my Raspberry Pi Raspbian Linux System nearly without problems and it runs with original game data from GOG.

How can I build Windows Exe? I want to develop new features, but I need a debugging environment for this and working on a Raspberry Pi would make me insane I think ;)
Dominus
Site Admin

Re: Exult Build for Windows

Post by Dominus »

Hi Ziagl,
welcome to Exult :)

Visual Studio has been neglected for a while now as the remaining devs are mostly on *nix and/or are using the mingw/msys way to build Exult (Kirben who builds our snapshots is using this). Instructions for this is in the README.win32.
BUT Marzo is cooking in his lab newer MSVC support for the merge-devel branch (this branch will eventually become the main branch, btw), I'll contact him so he can maybe get it up on git sooner.

EXULT_BG_FLX_SHAPE_INFO_TXT is defined in data/exult_bg_flx.h which gets created on build time (on *nix at least) when the files in /data are put in the flx containers. So VS19 needs a build step to build expack in tools and then create the flx files.
--
Read the documentation and the FAQ! There is no excuse for not reading them! RTFM
Read the Rules!
We do not support Piracy/Abandonware/Warez!
Ziagl

Post by Ziagl »

Thank you for your quick answer Dominus!

Do you have recommondations for an IDE? How do you debug this code... Setting up a quick *nix virtual machine for development is no problem.

For me a good way to learn code is always set breakpoints an step trough, so you get a clue of what are main code parts and how the internal game loop and resource management works...
Dominus
Site Admin

Post by Dominus »

Sorry, I have no recommendations, I'm an amateur programmer at best AND am on OS X which has xcode as an IDE. But then, we don't even have an xcode project file ;)
(If I really need breakpoints etc, I'm using the iOS fork which has an xcode project file, though).

Converting the old msvc project files is not possible? (I really have no clue about them). Marzo is not yet at the stage of getting a new one up.
--
Read the documentation and the FAQ! There is no excuse for not reading them! RTFM
Read the Rules!
We do not support Piracy/Abandonware/Warez!
galneon

Post by galneon »

You guys have to make this one 1.6.0[rc1].

You just have to. ;)