installing from GOG on Mac OS

NOTICE: This forum is archived as read only.
Please use the Github Discussions at https://github.com/exult/exult/discussions
Forum rules
NOTICE: This forum is archived as read only.
Please use the Github Discussions at https://github.com/exult/exult/discussions
William55

installing from GOG on Mac OS

Post by William55 »

I'm trying to get this up and running on a new computer, and here is what I've done so far:

1 - I've downloaded and installed the games from gog.com, and they run through their DOSBox launcher just fine.

2 - I opened Terminal and entered the commands provided in the Documentation. It "seemed" to copy, asked me for admin password, etc.

3 - Run Exult and get the following: WARNING. Could not find the static date for either "The Black Gate" or "Serpent Isle". Please edit the configuration file and restart Exult.

It doesn't look like the GOG files got copied anywhere. Or if they did, I cannot find them.

Any thoughts? Thank you!
Dominus
Site Admin

Re: installing from GOG on Mac OS

Post by Dominus »

I'll take a look tomorrow whether GOG changed everything again... sigh
--
Read the documentation and the FAQ! There is no excuse for not reading them! RTFM
Read the Rules!
We do not support Piracy/Abandonware/Warez!
William55

Post by William55 »

Would I have been able to just copy the files from my old computer to the new? Or would I have needed to run an install program of some sort to make it work?

I ask because I *might* have a working copy of Ultima/Exult on another computer, but I'd have to wait until next week to look at it, as it's at work currently.
William55

Post by William55 »

I did get it to work!

What I think had happened was that I have a partitioned hard drive, one running the most recent Catalina OS (which I need for work) and one with the older Mojave (for a couple of crucial things I need that haven't updated to work with Catalina).

I'm generally ignorant of how this all works, but I think that GOG installed the games to the partition I wasn't running at the time, while Exult installed to the right partition. So, when I went to copy the GOG files over, the command was looking in the wrong place, and there was nothing to copy. Once I realized this was happening, it was easy enough to fix. I don't know if any of that makes sense.

Can't wait to explore Britannia and Serpent Isle again while I'm stuck inside for the next however long!
Dominus
Site Admin

Post by Dominus »

I'm glad you figured it out!!!
That would have been hard to figure out remotely :)
--
Read the documentation and the FAQ! There is no excuse for not reading them! RTFM
Read the Rules!
We do not support Piracy/Abandonware/Warez!