1.4.x snapshot problem

NOTICE: This forum is archived as read only.
Please use the Github Discussions at https://github.com/exult/exult/discussions
Forum rules
NOTICE: This forum is archived as read only.
Please use the Github Discussions at https://github.com/exult/exult/discussions
painful

1.4.x snapshot problem

Post by painful »

I put a reply in another thread about this, but I figured it'd help the Exult Team better for it to be here with both stderr and stdout informations.

stderr.txt:
exult_bg.flx has a wrong checksum!
exult_si.flx has a wrong checksum!
This usually means the file(s) mentioned above are from a different version
of Exult than this one. Please re-install Exult

(Note: if you modified the .flx files yourself, you can skip this check
by passing the --nocrc parameter.)

stdout.txt:
Exult version 1.4.01cvs
Built at: Jun 27 2004 22:00:33
Compile-time options: USE_EXULTSTUDIO, HAVE_ZIP_SUPPORT
Compiler: gcc, version: 3.4.0 (mingw special)

Platform: Windows XP Service Pack 1 Version 5.1 Build 2600
Exult path settings:
Data : data
Digital music : data\music

I click the shortcut, or double click the .exe file for exult, the cursor spins for a split second and nothing else happens aside from the error txt files being written to. I'm assuming its just a mixup on the two files menionted by stderr.txt. Thanks for any help provided.
-kel, ascendence.net
drcode
Site Admin

Re: 1.4.x snapshot problem

Post by drcode »

Do you have two versions of Exult installed? If so you might check your "exult.cfg" file to see what "data_path" is set to. If it's set to the "data" directory of Exult 1.2, you'll have to change it to 1.4's "data" directory.
painful

Post by painful »

Actually there's only one install of exult on my drive, its just been 'upgraded' each time a new snapshot was released. It works with an older 1.2 snapshot, but the 1.4 seems to think even after a fresh directory is used that the two files are messed up.

I just looked into the Exult.cfg and "data_path" isnt listed, just path for the two ultima directories. Below is what's listed:

g:\games\uc\ultima7

(default)

jmsfx.flx

g:\games\uc\serpent

(default)

jmsisfx.flx

yes

yes

gs

normal

yes

gm

no

no

yes

no

yes

no

no

yes

no

yes

no

no

no

original

no

yes

yes

2xSaI

no

no

-kel, ascendence.net
Achile

Post by Achile »

I play with the snapshot and I can't move and Iolo and the other guy dosen't appear and have the wrong portrait. The guard of Trinsic to isn't here
Dominus
Site Admin

Post by Dominus »

Achile read http://exult.info/forum/viewtopic.php?p=19819#p19819, especially Colourless reply. Even though C did not yet touch cvs, these snapshots are not meant for playing yet.
Use the official release for playing the games.
--
Read the documentation and the FAQ! There is no excuse for not reading them! RTFM
Read the Rules!
We do not support Piracy/Abandonware/Warez!
painful

Post by painful »

I finally got 1.4.x cvs to run. So far its going ok. I downloaded the snapshot from today and it ran perfect. Just curious but is there going to be a small faq or something added to the studio area for using the multiple maps etc?
-kel, ascendence.net
drcode
Site Admin

Post by drcode »

Good idea. For now (and without the program in front of me), this is what I remember:

1. There's a "Map" menu in ES. One of the choices lets you create a new map, optionally copying portions of an existing map. The other "Map" menu choices teleport your party to the given map.
2. You can also teleport between maps by pressing ctrl-alt-t within Exult. It cycles you through them.
3. There's a new egg type for teleporting to a different map. You should see it in the dialog for creating an egg.
4. I don't think there's usecode support yet for moving between maps. We'll need a "UI_teleport_to_map" function.
5. The files for each map are stored in "mapXX" subdirectories of the "patch" and "gamedat" directories. You can delete a map by deleting these.
6. I doubt if NPC schedules work correctly on other maps yet. I may get to this tonight.
painful

Post by painful »

That will definetly be a good start right there. As for beginning a new map, I understand the part about the map menu in ES but if Exult is running, with ES in the background, it causes Exult to crash when trying to create a new map, so I'm assuming I'm going about that the wrong way. One thing that would be quite interesting, is once the multiple maps are in place, and those that were interested in beginning a new 'total conversion' or addon for ultima we can make different colored moongates to serve as transport to other worlds (maps) or other times (maps) where the blue and red still teleport between others of its color on the map you're at. Would be quite interesting, and the art wouldnt be too hard to manage since the moongates are already there but need recoloring.
-kel, ascendence.net
SB-X

Post by SB-X »

Red moongates can teleport between any locations on Britannia, to the Gargoyle side, or to/from Earth.
painful

Post by painful »

And blue ones appeared to teleport between britannia and earth. But I know there was a time one in ultima 2? Thats the one where you got to play in the future and stuff. It'd be interesting to redo that theory with the multiple map system.
-kel, ascendence.net
artaxerxes
Site Admin

Post by artaxerxes »

must all the maps be of the exact same size, 192x192 chunks? Or is it possible to have maps of different sizes?

Artaxerxes
painful

Post by painful »

From what I've gathered, playing around with the maps after finally getting Exult to stop disappearing when I want to access them, the maps are all the same size. Now that doesn't mean you have to use the entire map. You could use one map, for all your dungeon's lower levels, or upper levels. You could use one map to show a devestated britannia/serpent isle. You could also use it to show a portion of a the world for a temporary adventure like say, the underworld, and still have room elsewhere for dungeons etc from the first map. The possibilities are endless.

I did notice one major bug though with the multi mapping. Once the new map is copied, and you teleport to certain areas, say British's castle, via CTRL+T or by walking there, Exult crashes. I'm sure it'll be fixed soon though, since there's been a lot of work started on the multi map part by DrCode. And it's probably a good thing I'm sitting here breaking Exult to find these to report to him. ;-P
-kel, ascendence.net
drcode
Site Admin

Post by drcode »

Yes, they're all the same size, and we'll probably keep it that way. It makes computations fast; and if you leave a map mostly empty, it doesn't take up much disk or memory.

As for the bugs, I'll have to see if I can duplicate the crashes.
Achile

Post by Achile »

What will you put on these maps ?
drcode
Site Admin

Post by drcode »

The question is: What will YOU put on those maps:-)

Actually, this feature was requested by Artaxerxes, who's interested in creating his own game. I also think it would be nice for mods like the "Island Patch", since it keeps the modded areas completely separate from the original game.
painful

Post by painful »

I agree, it'll make modding Ultima/Exult much easier with multiple maps.
-kel, ascendence.net
Achile

Post by Achile »

Maybe the land of Feudal Lords and the Dark Unknown
painful

Post by painful »

There can also be different times. One map representing the time the Avatar comes to Britannia for the mission, a specific color moongate gives him the ability to travel forward or backwards through time to an altered Britannia or other world. We can finally have a fully large dungeon map instead of limiting it to small tunnels and caves. Serpent Isle can finally become a true sea bearing land without the need to clutter the world with various dungeons.

We can even make a story to where the Avatar has to travel between all the connected worlds. If every world is connected, and one is destroyed, it'd make better sense to let him travel to ALL the planets to save them, instead of just one. Perhaps they're all being targeted this time.

DrCode, when you get working on the stuff, let me know and I'll be more than happy to do some rigorous testing of the editing side of ExultStudio and it's multi maps.
-kel, ascendence.net
drcode
Site Admin

Post by drcode »

Fixed some bugs tonight. The nastiest was that newly started games weren't working at all, due to one of my "enhancements". The other might have been what caused your crash when wandering around, in that NPC's from the main map were getting put onto the new one.
artaxerxes
Site Admin

Post by artaxerxes »

kelley thomas wrote:
>
> There can also be different times. One map representing the
> time the Avatar comes to Britannia for the mission, a
> specific color moongate gives him the ability to travel
> forward or backwards through time to an altered Britannia or
> other world.

This is the single best idea I've heard this week (after my payraise, of course)!

Artaxerxes
Achile

Post by Achile »

Yes and try to know what the Guardian is or was and why is here. And we can use the timelord for another purpose than talk about generators