Multiplayer Exult?

NOTICE: This forum is archived as read only.
Please use the Github Discussions at https://github.com/exult/exult/discussions
Forum rules
NOTICE: This forum is archived as read only.
Please use the Github Discussions at https://github.com/exult/exult/discussions
mikeynov

Multiplayer Exult?

Post by mikeynov »

I'm reasonably certain this topic has popped up in the past, but has anyone ever heard of anybody consider the prospect of implementing some sort of multiplayer potential for exult, given that it's open source?

The possibility of wandering around the U7 world on lan with my girlfriend = infinite coolness.
draadje

Re: Multiplayer Exult?

Post by draadje »

I dunno about exult but there was a sourceforge project attempting to put U7 online, it was abandoned a while ago though. Anyway the source is still out there if anyone decides to pick it up but until then I would suggest walks in the park for you and your girlfriend.
Gradilla Dragon

Post by Gradilla Dragon »

I can assume you didn't even bother to read the FAQ.
- Gradilla Dragon
Axel DominatoR

Post by Axel DominatoR »

I think I'll make some calculations to find how much often someone talks about a multiplayer Exult :)

Maybe there is some coincidence with stars alignment or dark rituals O_o

*just kidding* :P
Axel DominatoR ^^^ HC
MV

Post by MV »

I dunno, give it another month, x2, /3 + 40 days and there's the answer on when the next post will be. :D
SB-X

Post by SB-X »

I believe his question was is any person or team working on adding multiplayer support to Exult, not if the Exult team has any plans to add it to a future version.
The information draadje replied with is correct, as far as I know.
But yeah, this topic comes up way too often here. Searching the forum would provide the same answer. :)
drcode
Site Admin

Post by drcode »

We've discussed before how there are a lot of complications involved in making a multi-player U7. I wonder, though, if additional players could just be observers. In other words, a player other than the Avatar could tag along with the party, help with combat, watch the Avatar's conversations, and converse with the Avatar.
Andrea B Previtera

Post by Andrea B Previtera »

Although I can't really say I'm into Exult code, I can't see any real complication for the implementation of a tcp/ip multiplayer version. It would be mostly a matter of centralizing the flags, npc schedules and some other "living data" on the server side.
Chris Schumacher

Post by Chris Schumacher »

And, again, the "observer" concept is so lousy that there would be no point in going through the trouble of implementing it. My solution, which
was to allow the UltimaMaster/ShardMaster be the Avatar and everyone else could choose from a series of character classes, would make the game
more interesting. That way people could go off on their own and it would be
possible for people to play competively, as well as cooperatively.

If the impossible happens, and an actual project to make a multiplayer Exult
is undertaken, it shouldn't be timid and use the "observer" concept. Go for the gusto! There's no point in going through that much work if it's going to stink.
Gradilla Dragon

Post by Gradilla Dragon »

If you really want a Multiplayer U7 so badly, go play EpicBeyond.
http://www.epicbeyond.com/home.html

If what you want is to GM a game and not just play, get UO and set up an UO server emulator.
- Gradilla Dragon
SB-X

Post by SB-X »

I wouldn't mind having observer mode in Exult. It's not lousy at all.
mikeynov

Post by mikeynov »

Actually, I did. Perhaps you didn't bother reading my post, where I asked if 'anybody' had taken up an effort to produce multiplayer U7, as I was aware that the Exult team had no plans to do so.

Stranger things have happened recently (like seeing that guy's 3-d extrapolation of U7).
trevor

Post by trevor »

hmm i am wondering about this modification for Ultima 7, which actually supports multiplayers. i think its calles Blackrock or something?
does anyone know?
Axel DominatoR

Post by Axel DominatoR »

That project is dead, if I'm right...

do you refer to http://sourceforge.net/projects/u7o ?
Axel DominatoR ^^^ HC
trevor

Post by trevor »

thanks Axel! :)

that's great! ok the project is dead, but they left an alpha-version :)

Who wants to try it out with me? I need a server!
Contact me ICQ: 98697038

thats really cool with multiple avatars!
Dominus
Site Admin

Post by Dominus »

btw, that project's CVS is still up, so anyone willing to code can have a look at it :)
--
Read the documentation and the FAQ! There is no excuse for not reading them! RTFM
Read the Rules!
We do not support Piracy/Abandonware/Warez!
Wizardry Dragon

Post by Wizardry Dragon »

There was the Blackrock Engine, I still have the code for it, but there was another before that I remember that was a little further along ... anyone else remember this or am I just insane?

- Wizardry Dragon
Cheers, Wizardry Dragon
Lead Designer, Ultima VII: The Feudal Lands
www.thefeudallands.ca
Dominus
Site Admin

Post by Dominus »

you're insane :)
As far as I remember back then Exult saw the light, some other program called "guardian" or so with the same goal as Exult was in progress and that one was further than Exult (back then), but was soon laid to rest. For online I *think* the blackrock engine was the only one. The code of the blackrock engine can be downloaded via CVS from sourceforge.
--
Read the documentation and the FAQ! There is no excuse for not reading them! RTFM
Read the Rules!
We do not support Piracy/Abandonware/Warez!