exult updates

NOTICE: This forum is archived as read only.
Please use the Github Discussions at https://github.com/exult/exult/discussions
Forum rules
NOTICE: This forum is archived as read only.
Please use the Github Discussions at https://github.com/exult/exult/discussions

exult updates

Post by Avatar »

when will there be an exult 1.3 or 1.4?
Dominus
Site Admin

Re: exult updates

Post by Dominus »

when it's done (and there won't be an 1.3).
--
Read the documentation and the FAQ! There is no excuse for not reading them! RTFM
Read the Rules!
We do not support Piracy/Abandonware/Warez!
Crysta the Elf

Post by Crysta the Elf »

no 1.3? skipping straight to 1.4? o.o
Dominus
Site Admin

Post by Dominus »

Yup, or most likely going on to 1.5 for a release. We announced that we skipped 1.3 in July last year on our main page, btw :)
--
Read the documentation and the FAQ! There is no excuse for not reading them! RTFM
Read the Rules!
Crysta the Elf

Post by Crysta the Elf »

ooo.. wow.. missed that XD

1.4 or 1.5 it is then xD
drcode
Site Admin

Post by drcode »

Yes, I imagine we should have a 'point' release (1.x) sometime this year, as we've fixed quite a few bugs and filled in several holes. The 2.0 release will happen when we get all the data that's currently hard-coded into files, so Exult is more completely a "game-creation" tool. That could be a while.
Shittah Dragon

Post by Shittah Dragon »

I've been trying different ultimas for a while now it seems to me numba 7 is the only one with playable graphics and a fun story line, that and ultima 6 but i've learned 6 backwards and front so its boring to me now. Pagan would have been alright if it weren't for the increasing violence. ecspecially the execution scene. bah, drives away God's spirit.
Tristan de Inés

Post by Tristan de Inés »

>Pagan would have been alright if it weren't for the increasing violence. ecspecially the execution scene. bah, drives away God's spirit.

I think the ritualistic murder scenes with mutilated and impaled bodies of Ultima 7 where also pretty good at driving god's spirit away. Haven't seen him in the whole game!
Gradilla Dragon

Post by Gradilla Dragon »

HAHAHAHAHA! Can't get past that scene in that french version of Ultima VIII you downloaded?
- Gradilla Dragon
Lost Iolo

Post by Lost Iolo »

I agree with that post about the mutalated bodies
isn't there a way we can edit it out in another update?
Crysta the Elf

Post by Crysta the Elf »

if you dont like the murders in the PC version of Black Gate, then try the SNES version as theyve been replaced with kidnappings.. of course, a LOT has been replaced in the SNES version.. lol
Confused Iolo

Post by Confused Iolo »

i've found that the versions downright suck. couldnt u release a patch?
Tristan de Inés

Post by Tristan de Inés »

>I agree with that post about the mutalated bodies
>isn't there a way we can edit it out in another update?

Dude, I was kidding. You know.... irony?

Sure, there are some brutal scenes in U7 and U8, but the whole games don't revolve around blood and gore (like some others). Instead those scenes add to the atmosphere and convey the gravity of the situation to the player.

If you absolutely reject any kind of violence in games, would you rather have the Guardian threatening to inundate Britannia in a sea of addictive candy in his plot to make everyone fat and have bad teeth? Yeah, that would be fun, right? (Careful... irony again)

Anyway, if scenes with blood and gore make you feel uncomfortable, you shouldn't be playing games with swords or guns involved.
SB-X

Post by SB-X »

He's just not a good enough troll for Usenet. He probably wouldn't even be considered flameworthy there. So he stays here where he's tolerated. Tailor your responses accordingly. (or better yet, don't respond at all)
Lost Iolo

Post by Lost Iolo »

i can't justify sin besides I want God to be with me more. But alas i am addicted to these games. other games have a blood off mode. eraly ultimas left chests why not make that u7s theme.
marzo
Site Admin

Post by marzo »

Early Ultimas left chests instead of bodies due to technical capabilities of the time; if computers had better capabilities back then, I am sure that they would have bodies instead.

Out of curiosity: are you (Lost Iolo) the same person as Confused Iolo? What about Shittah Dragon/Avatar?
------
Marzo Sette Torres Junior
aka Geometrodynamic Dragon
[url=http://www.catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-questions.html]How To Ask Questions The Smart Way[/url]
Gunnar

Post by Gunnar »

Out of curiosity: are you (Lost Iolo) the same person as Confused Iolo? What about Shittah Dragon/Avatar?
I think you're forgetting Derek and Justice, he might have more alter-ego's though ;-)
Lost Iolo

Post by Lost Iolo »

i'm the same as confused iolo but not avatar or justice and i don't know who derek is.
nadir
Site Admin

Post by nadir »

Hmm, bizarre how all these users are from the same provider.....
painful

Post by painful »

Just to clarify, proxy.aol.com is a generic server. AOL caters to thousands of users, so anyone using AOL's internal browser will automatically show up using said provider. So assuming that everyone who just happens to be an AOL user is the same as "someone else" posting on the boards is a rather bad error in judgement.

As for the updates, I was curious as to how far the multiple mapping system has gotten? It's one of the main features of Exult and Studio that I'm highly excited about due to the fact that we can use it to create new worlds with actual maps for dungeons instead of hiding them in mountains.
-kel, ascendence.net
nadir
Site Admin

Post by nadir »

But you see, I am an admin, and I can also see that there is an extra host name in front of proxy.aol.com (in the form of cache-xxx-yyyy). And they are all the same for those users (yours is different for example).
painful

Post by painful »

True, but normally the host names, which should be the actual server they're connecting through the aol proxies with, is seperated by region. But you're right, most regions aren't big enough to say there's that many people posting from the same zip code, let alone city.

But don't misunderstand me, I wasn't trying to discount what you were saying about them. Was just adding in that some services have generic hosts for most of their coverage area. I honestly wouldnt be surprised if the person has many other "aliases" they're using, after reading most of their posts. And the only sure way of ever getting rid of them would be ip banning, and if they dont have a static ip it'd be hopeless. You could block the range of ip or proxy but you'd end up blocking other potential members from similar areas as well.
-kel, ascendence.net
marzo
Site Admin

Post by marzo »

To kelley: The reason I asked is because we already have one AOL member in the Phorum with known "identity crisis": Shittah Dragon/Avatar/Justice/Derek Thomas (see http://exult.info/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6386#p6386 and http://exult.info/forum/viewtopic.php?p=23441#p23441). So it was no real stretch at all to think that Confused/Lost Iolo might be the same person and that, moreover, could be the same one as Shittah Dragon/Avatar/Justice/Derek Thomas -- after all, they all have the same server (---.proxy.aol.com) and both have (or appeared to have, in the case of Confused/Lost Iolo) multiple handles in the Phorum. So I asked to be sure.
------
[url=http://www.catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-questions.html]How To Ask Questions The Smart Way[/url]
Dominus
Site Admin

Post by Dominus »

and you can trust SB-X' and Nadir's judgement :)
--
Read the Rules!
marzo
Site Admin

Post by marzo »

Yeah, there's that too :-)
------
drcode
Site Admin

Post by drcode »

Kelley: The multiple-maps is in the "I think it's done but bugs will probably come up when someone really tries to use it" - phase.
Crysta the Elf

Post by Crysta the Elf »

well then why not test it by mirroring the SI map and having all the teleporters for dungeons and such go from one map to the other, so all that ocean space can be made into actual oceans so teh Arabella can be sailed again? ;)
marzo
Site Admin

Post by marzo »

I think that this is *far* easier said than done; transferring things from one map to another is hard work. Heck, transferring things from one place to another *within* the same map are hard work.
------
Crysta the Elf

Post by Crysta the Elf »

well then shouldnt there be an option to copy the current map into a second map then?
marzo
Site Admin

Post by marzo »

I think that a "drag-select" option would be a nice addition to Exult Studio; say, holding alt, clicking and dragging makes a square and selects everything inside that square (maybe only at a certain height).

Which leads me to the question: is anyone else having trouble with combos? From the docs, they are supposed to work by double-clicking a selected group of objects while on "Pick for Combo" mode, but it doesn't seem to work here.
------
SB-X

Post by SB-X »

You should be able to mirror and connect to SI's map by copying data files manually, right? But actually moving the dungeons onto new maps and relinking the teleporters will be a long and tedious process.
marzo
Site Admin

Post by marzo »

You would also have to delete everything in the corresponding chunk (well, every egg, NPC or moveable object at any rate).
------
SB-X

Post by SB-X »

Then you'd have to recreate them to get the desired effect. Not worth the effort/time, in any case.
marzo
Site Admin

Post by marzo »

Not worth the effort/time, in any case.
Which is precisely my point :-)
------
Crysta the Elf

Post by Crysta the Elf »

well... to someone who was wanting to restore the original plot, it would be a definite necessary step, as Hawk gives you his ship... te dungeons would have to be moved to another map to be able to finish the seas
marzo
Site Admin

Post by marzo »

Well, the ship is stuck in the ground. Restoring the original plot doesn't mean that I have to make the Arabella seaworthy again, just that Hawk will give it to you :-)
------
Crysta the Elf

Post by Crysta the Elf »

its simple enough it have a flag that when the banes are released would erase the ship on land and put it on the water, too ;p

jsut add a few logs to look like someone pushed it back in :P
Andy

Post by Andy »

How about making a second map with just the sea on it. then you could bypass the need to move everything. Granted, you would have to have a general outline of the land masses, or line of teleport eggs... Well, that does sound like a lot of work, but probably not as much as moving seagoing dungeons.
painful

Post by painful »

Sounds like it'd be alot easier than starting from scratch like I've heard some people suggest. In which case could be useful to expand the cities and areas, but would be a pain to recreate everything, including the dungeons on other maps, as well as the main world map. The dungeons themselves don't have to stay the exact same, you could get a general mapping of them, and create your own on the new 'dungeon map' and reset the teleporters and such without having to copy it exactly. It would allow you to expand it a little since you have more room to work with as well.

Personally, I'd go with the last method.. Create the new dungeons on new maps, and reset the teleporters to the respective new ones. Erase the original dungeons once you've completed your 'conversion' and recreate the oceans. Then you could go back and expand the land masses a bit, add some islands or expand the coast lines. Maybe even add some more ophidian ruins so it looks more like it should compared to the original concepts. More levels to the dungeons could be made on the new map used for the dungeons as well, to give them more depth. And with all the room on the new world, you can have a better chance to expand the terrain to let the cities have more room and be able to give them their originally intended look.

As for the initial teleport storm, you can take out the two 'coast lines' used and give them their own maps or locations on an existing map so we can restore every inch of the main world's oceans. We could have the original idea, where it's two shore lines that you teleport to before going to the main one, except put them both on a map of pure ocean. This way, there can be later plots in dungeons or other areas where you can teleport to a 'mystical island' to retrieve information or items and place it on the same map as the beginning sequence. That would keep it from letting a ship access it, as well as keeping you from exploring that 'ocean' from the island itself.

Although these are just ideas, but they would be rather interesting and easily done within the original plot expansion.
-kel, ascendence.net