origin

NOTICE: This forum is archived as read only.
Please use the Github Discussions at https://github.com/exult/exult/discussions
Forum rules
NOTICE: This forum is archived as read only.
Please use the Github Discussions at https://github.com/exult/exult/discussions
eternal light

origin

Post by eternal light »

Does anyone know the whole story as to why origin sold out to EA? I am just curious. All i know is that it happened and why would lord british sacrifice his genius?
Dominus
Site Admin

Re: origin

Post by Dominus »

money, money, money - makes the world go round.
--
Read the documentation and the FAQ! There is no excuse for not reading them! RTFM
Read the Rules!
We do not support Piracy/Abandonware/Warez!
Andy

Post by Andy »

That, and they were near to bankruptcy several times. I guess Lord British got tired of it. Unfortunately, we got rushed games in the "bargain." Thus, we have some incomplete plots, and what Ultima 9 could have been....
drcode
Site Admin

Post by drcode »

I think it had a lot to do with Wing Commander 3. I'm not sure if Origin tried to make it before being bought or after, but it definitely required a LOT of money to hire all those actors (Mark Hamill, Malcom McDowell, John Rhys-Davies - generally better actors than those that were in the movie).
eternal light

Post by eternal light »

Mark hamill? was wing commander a star wars game?
eternal light

Post by eternal light »

For selling Lord British DOES deserve the black sword.
eternal light

Post by eternal light »

We don't really know who arcadion was. i mean for all we know he could be a disgruntled origin worked, who got booted when they sold.
cyberfugue

Post by cyberfugue »

Wing Commander wasn't a Star Wars game, but Mark Hamill was a main character in Wing Commander IV. It was very well acted - it definitely raised the bar for other companies out there at the time, much as Origin continually did with most of its games.

I still remember one of his lines from that game - "this pisses me off!" (just the way he inflected it, was pretty funny at the time)
Gradilla Dragon

Post by Gradilla Dragon »

I have Wing Commander I to IV. WC III and IV stand out enormously from the other games of their time. It is evident they needed a lot of money to produce both games.
- Gradilla Dragon
eternal light

Post by eternal light »

black sword black sword......