Paths (Running multiple versions)

NOTICE: This forum is archived as read only.
Please use the Github Discussions at https://github.com/exult/exult/discussions
Forum rules
NOTICE: This forum is archived as read only.
Please use the Github Discussions at https://github.com/exult/exult/discussions
ultimaIX

Paths (Running multiple versions)

Post by ultimaIX »

Hello all,
I'm trying to set up both 1.2 and 1.4 (with estudio) on my system. In an attempt to ensure both versions are compatable with each other and don't save over each other's files, i've gone ahead and edited the paths in the exult.cfg to save the gamedat and save games in non-default directories. Should i also edit the static directory's path as well? From what i remember, the static directory's files are not changed during play, so i'm assuming that it won't matter if both versions use the same files. Is this correct? Also, does it make a difference if the path for the saves and the gamedat lead to the same directory?

Thanks,
ultimaIX
Colourless
Site Admin

Re: Paths (Running multiple versions)

Post by Colourless »

I really wouldn't recommend you put saves and gamedat in the same directory, however with current builds of exult you shouldn't have any problems doing that. But once again, i don't think that is a good idea.
Dominus
Site Admin

Post by Dominus »

If you are going to use Exult Studio, I wouldn't recommend using 1.2 with the same savegames and gamedat as the 1.4x version.
You will only get incompatibilities (and so far no plot stopper has been reported for 1.4x).
--
Read the documentation and the FAQ! There is no excuse for not reading them! RTFM
Read the Rules!
We do not support Piracy/Abandonware/Warez!
ultimaIX

Post by ultimaIX »

I have set up 2 seperate save game directories, one for each version. I'm not sharing saves - i just have both versions installed, so i can use ES and still play. And as far as there not being any plot stoppers in 1.4, i found (and reported) a stopper where luther disappears from the game. (this makes getting past the knight's banquet impossible - exult crashes during the fight that breaks out 'cause he's not around to attack.) Also Marstrem (the leader of monitor - can't remember if that's his name exactly :) seems to have some schedual issues - he appears in Vesculio's dungeon for some reason - right on top of the automaton guarding the entrance. I posted my save game for this bug as well, so you guys can see for yourself.

I'll keep the save games in a different directory, thx for input!

-ultimaIX