Installing Exult

NOTICE: This forum is archived as read only.
Please use the Github Discussions at https://github.com/exult/exult/discussions
Forum rules
NOTICE: This forum is archived as read only.
Please use the Github Discussions at https://github.com/exult/exult/discussions
Colin

Installing Exult

Post by Colin »

* First you need to get Ultima 7. Either you own it already, or you buy it somewhere.
* You need an installed version of Ultima 7 to run Exult with. The Ultima Collection already contains a pre-installed version of U7 (in the directory /ultima7 on the CD), but with older versions you may have to install the game yourself.
* Copy the installed Ultima7 folder to an appropriate folder - see 2.3. for suggestions.
* Now run exult (exult.exe in Windows) and quit it immediately.
* Edit the configuration file with a text editor (e.g. on Windows use Notepad) and enter the correct paths for the game folders - see 2.2.
* Run exult and enjoy the game :-)

I can't find the exult.exe. Have I downloaded the wrong version? Where is it?
Gunnar

Re: Installing Exult

Post by Gunnar »

If you're on windows you should have downloaded an installer which is called exultwin32.exe. you'll need to run that before getting exult.exe. If you're running GNU/Linux, you'll need to compile to get the executable
Dominus
Site Admin

Post by Dominus »

* Copy the installed Ultima7 folder to an appropriate folder - see 2.3. for suggestions.

Yeah, seems Ithere is something missing in between. That's what you get when you are too familiar with something. You take some actions for granted :)
--
Read the documentation and the FAQ! There is no excuse for not reading them! RTFM
Read the Rules!
We do not support Piracy/Abandonware/Warez!

Post by avatar0069 »

As far as I can tell i'm doing it correctly. After installing as described, I get the intro screen with music. There are red Xs next to each game name (BG and SI) I can change things on the setup menu. After clicking on either game it crashes and says "runtime error". I'm no computer expert but not a moron. I need fairly clear instructions. I tried changing the config file to match what is described and that did not help. I need exact instructions on how to go from this point. (I've got Win XP)

Thanks
Dominus
Site Admin

Post by Dominus »

What version of Exult? Please copy/paste your stdout.txt here (things to check are
-are both Ultima 7s in different folders (/bg and /si)
- delete everything in /gamedat in both games)
--
Read the documentation and the FAQ! There is no excuse for not reading them! RTFM
Read the Rules!
We do not support Piracy/Abandonware/Warez!