lots of questions

NOTICE: This forum is archived as read only.
Please use the Github Discussions at https://github.com/exult/exult/discussions
Forum rules
NOTICE: This forum is archived as read only.
Please use the Github Discussions at https://github.com/exult/exult/discussions
Lukon

lots of questions

Post by Lukon »

some strategy questions, some possible bugs... lots! Sorry if any of these are in the faq, i scaned it but didnt find em.

1) what should you spend your trains on?
2) what does each statistic to, and how is damge \ combat calculated?
3) how does picking locks work? what about rbeaking locks with weapons - does the weapon matter?

4) arent the patches of red flowers ment to make you sleep when you walk over them?
5) you know Rudyom, in Cove, who was a potion production factory in himself, i seem to remember him not calling the guards no matter how much you stole from him. is this an aesthetic change implemented for Exult?

thanks! BTW im on the beta version, windows 98 SE
SB-X

Re: lots of questions

Post by SB-X »

With regard to 1) and 2), it doesn't matter too much yet because the
combat system has not been fully completed. I think I remember reading that the team still hasn't figured out what everything in the weapons.dat
file means.
3) Press 'p' and click a door or chest. If you are not able to use the
lockpick on it someone in your party will say "Strange that did not work"
4) If you mean flowers like the ones near Cove, not that I recall.
5) Obviously I don't know this one because I don't know the developers' intentions... but I wouldn't know anyway because I don't think I tried
stealing poor Rudyom's potions. :-)
drcode
Site Admin

Post by drcode »

1) Search for one of the U7 walkthroughs, and it will tell you which trainers raise which stats. This will work the same in Exult.

4) Some, but not most, patches have an 'egg' in them that puts you to sleep. You can see the eggs by pressing 'e'.
Lukon

Post by Lukon »

to SB-X:

on the picklocks side, i was wondering more about the numbers... ie is the chance of success based on dexterity?

to DrCode:

i know about what each ones do (i have the official walkthrough book) but what exactly does 'strength' do? i mean it lets you carry more, but does it increase damage? or chance to hit an opponent in combat?

what im really wondering is what stats are the important ones...
wjp
Site Admin

Post by wjp »

Yes, it depends on dexterity. The usecode function for a lockpick rolls a random number between 1 and 30, and checks if your dexterity is higher than that.
(It only checks your own dex., btw. Party members don't help here)
wjp
Site Admin

Post by wjp »

oh, that should be 'if your dexterity is higher than or equal to that', btw
sprodfish

Post by sprodfish »

attacking chests in SI doesn't seem to work at all
no matter what the weapon
wjp
Site Admin

Re: .

Post by wjp »

Works for me in most cases. There do seem to be some chests that refuse to be opened. This might be because we don't calculate the amount of damage a weapon does properly.

Powderkegs usually do open them, though. :-)

Oh, and some chests probably can't be opened at all without the proper key.
wjp
Site Admin

Post by wjp »

Correction: amount of damage a weapon does shouldn't matter. It will just change the number of hits it will take to break it open.
Max aka Moscow Dragon

Post by Max aka Moscow Dragon »

"Strange this does not work" means - the chest cannot be picked in principle, do not try this.
Pickable chests either open or break the pick.

In native SI, the majority of chests can be opened by attacking.

Also - the door to the Hazzard's cave in the top North changes its Quality at some plot moment (Batlin's death?)

Before this, it is unopenable by any key in the game (only by powder keg). After this, it is openable by one key which can be found.

BTW - "breakable by powder keg or weapon" is a shape family flag or such, not only doors and chests use it.
wjp
Site Admin

Post by wjp »

"Breakable" is in fact not set for doors. Those are a special case.
Tim

Post by Tim »

I remember some chest being able to be smashed open in the original, but not all of them. There may be some kind of setting for chests as to whether you can smash them or not. Two-handed weapons work the best (hammers, two-handed swords, halberds, etc.) when going "smashy smashy".
Lukon

Post by Lukon »

ahhh, okie dokie...

does anyone remember the unopenable door in Cove at the butchers? I actually did the quest, and found the hidden key but even it didnt work...(neither did several cans of gun powder and some blackrock to boot)
Pan Sola

Post by Pan Sola »

5) you know Rudyom, in Cove, who was a potion production factory in himself, i seem to remember him not calling the guards no matter how much you stole from him. is this an aesthetic change implemented for Exult?

I thought Rudyom told the Avatar s/he can take anything s/he wants (or something to that effect). He definitely told you to go ahead to take his wand, and I think he said ok to take other stuff too.
sprodfish

Post by sprodfish »

are you sure you used the right key to open the door in the cove abbatoir?
the one that opens the door is the grey one behind the potplant in the butcher's house and the one that opens the chest is the brown one under the bucket of blood
Dominus
Site Admin

Post by Dominus »

Sprodfish and Lukon: are you perhaps writing about Paws and not Cove?
Paws is the village north of Trinsic (where you start the game).
Cove is the village east of Britain (where you meet a lovely lady).
:-)
If you are talking about Paws, then Sprodfish is right.
--
Read the documentation and the FAQ! There is no excuse for not reading them! RTFM
Read the Rules!
We do not support Piracy/Abandonware/Warez!
Soule

Post by Soule »

Is there a butcher in Cove? Hmmm..

There is a butcher, Thurfin(?) in Paws, who is in love with Polly(?).
Oblivious

Post by Oblivious »

Morfin is NOT in love with paws, Thurston who works at the flour mill is.
Soul Harvester

Post by Soul Harvester »

"Morfin is NOT in love with paws, Thurston who works at the flour mill is."

You do of course mean Polly, not paws :P